SASS Wire Forum

Mayo

Dawg Hair, SASS #29557

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep! Mayo, dill pickle and American cheese. I also like ketchup and onions on my hot dogs. Mustard and kraut too. 
If I have chili, coleslaw, kraut and mustard handy I put em all on one dog. Mmmm-Mmmm is that good!

1 minute ago, Tennessee williams said:

Ugh! Only proper place for Mayo is in the trash can. 

What TW said.  And put the Miracle Whip on top of it.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yep! Mayo, dill pickle and American cheese. I also like ketchup and onions on my hot dogs. Mustard and kraut too. 
If I have chili, coleslaw, kraut and mustard handy I put em all on one dog. Mmmm-Mmmm is that good!

;Chili-cheese dogs with spicy mustard and sauerkraut.  Coleslaw on the side.

I will sometimes put mayo on my hot dogs.  If I do, there is also catsup and sweet pickle relish.

16 minutes ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

Don't tell me you live in Alabama and don't like mater sammiches! The horror!  White bread, Duke's mayo, home grown maters, salt and pepper.

Hate to disappoint ya, but I can't stand the taste or the texture of mayo.  And home grown maters get chopped into salsa.  

A popular food in these parts is "elotes" - a roasted ear of corn on a stick like a corn dog, slathered with mayo, then sprinkled with chili powder and shredded Mexican cheese.  Folks tried for many years to get me to try one, and I resisted for many years. 

Finally gave in.  Shoulda held my ground.  :wacko: 

On the pineapple on pizza thread, I stated:

My thinking is if you don’t like it, then don’t eat it. If what someone else eats causes you that much butthurt, perhaps you should reevaluate your life’s priorities.

Now, I will admit the idea of of mayonnaise on a hotdog sorely tests my willingness to stand behind those words, but I will. It isn't something I would do, and find the thought wholly unappealing. For me, mayonnaise is typically reserved for egg sandwiches, BLTs, club sandwiches and tuna. However, if someone accidentally hands me a burger with mayo, I'll not complain too loudly while I eat it.

Every once in a while I thank God that most people do not dictate what I eat or drink. I also ask for patience and tolerance. Which I truly need daily. :)

37 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

All a hot dog needs is mustard. Any kind of mustard, even plain Frenches.

And chili!

JHC (I'm beginning to have SERIOUS doubts about some of you wingnuts.) :P

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Right on top of the grits and okra.

Okra I don't have much use for. Grits, on the other hand, I developed a fondness for in Basic Training. A bit of butter mixed in and I'm a happy guy.

1 minute ago, DocWard said:

Okra I don't have much use for. Grits, on the other hand, I developed a fondness for in Basic Training. A bit of butter mixed in and I'm a happy guy.

It's odd.  I love corn bread, cornmeal pancakes, Indian Pudding, even scrapple.  But I don't like grits.

Cornbread…Yuck! 

Okra…Double Yuck!

Grits…Love ‘em! Grits with butter , salt and pepper. I am looking forward to next week. I am headed to West Virginia and SW Pennsylvania. Hoping to find a restaurant that serves grits. 

Hey, you folks that don’t like Mayo on hot dogs, what do you think of Avacado or Guacamole on Hot Dogs?

How about Cream Cheese?

I have seen some weird hot dogs concoctions. Actually, cream cheese with dill pickle on a dog is pretty darn good. I sure miss Pip’s Hot Dogs in Molalla, OR. 

7 hours ago, DocWard said:

Best thing to put in grits is sausage grease (from the chopped up patty you're mixing into it) and a fried egg (also chopped up and mixed in).

I like okra.  Boiled in a soup or peas or pickled.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Cornbread…Yuck!

Grits…Love ‘em! Grits with butter , salt and pepper. I am looking forward to next week. I am headed to West Virginia and SW Pennsylvania. Hoping to find a restaurant that serves grits. 

Hey, you folks that don’t like Mayo on hot dogs, what do you think of Avacado or Guacamole on Hot Dogs?

How about Cream Cheese?

I have seen some weird hot dogs concoctions. Actually, cream cheese with dill pickle on a dog is pretty darn good. I sure miss Pip’s Hot Dogs in Molalla, OR. 

I worry about you. I'm just going to say I was truly excited when I finally managed to make a pone of cornbread that came close to what my mom made, in an iron skillet she gave me long ago. I decided to try it with my chili instead of having tortillas. Texas chili, no beans, by the way. Great combination. I also enjoy taking some when going camping with a group (car camping when I take a bunch of stuff).

No salt and pepper on my grits, thanks. I know a few people from parts south that would give some serious side-eye for that.

I'll stick with chili, mustard, relish and cheese on my dogs, but I can at least understand someone putting guacamole on one. The rest... I'll pass.

15 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Best thing to put in grits is sausage grease (from the chopped up patty you're mixing into it) and a fried egg (also chopped up and mixed in).

I like okra.  Boiled in a soup or peas or pickled.

So, basically instead of a plate with everything in its spot, you just mix everything together before it hits your stomach! I can see how those would taste good, since I have had all in the same meal.

Still not a fan of okra, but you have at it!

23 minutes ago, DocWard said:

So, basically instead of a plate with everything in its spot, you just mix everything together before it hits your stomach! I can see how those would taste good, since I have had all in the same meal.

I use a bowl at home instead of a plate, but that's the basic idea. 

Some of the fast food places started serving 'breakfast bowls' several years ago that were basically what I described above (although, some use scrambled eggs) with some cheese and tater tots or hash browns added.  Personally, I think the grits is enough starch without adding potatoes, but that's just me.

I got my great nephew (he's 3) eating pickled okra.  His mom hates the stuff and is irritated with me.  I just smiled at her and pointed out to her that's what uncles do.  (But she already knows that since she's the one that I once dropped off with chocolate smeared across her face from ear to ear and an open Pixie Stix in each hand.:rolleyes:)

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Cornbread…Yuck! 

Okra…Double Yuck!

How about Cream Cheese?

Clyde, sometimes I think you're not too tightly wrapped......Philo Beddoe

JHC :P

This is a grit-laying truck, also known as a grit spreader.

H4388-L190477808_original.jpg

Notice the hole in the bottom of the bed.

s-l400.jpg

And the corresponding hole on the bottom, just behind the front wheel.

s-l400.jpg

These were used when making a road. First they would spread a layer of tar, then these trucks would drive over the tar letting rocks come out the hole and spread all over the tar. Then they would run over it with something like this and squish the rocks into the tar.

roller-compactor-machine-road-image-flat

When he was in the third grade my little brother received one of those matchbox grit spreaders. So Daddy decided to show him how it worked. He filled the bed of the truck with grits (because, after all, it is a grit spreader), then pull the handle to open the door in the bottom of the bed, and push the truck across the dining room table, leaving a layer of grits.

I thought those of you strange people, that do not like to eat grits, might be interested in another use. :P

56 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Grits is great.  One of the best BP fillers I have found.

Works good but I prefer cornmeal. Burns a little cleaner. ;) Guess grits is good for something at least.

JHC

10 hours ago, DocWard said:

No salt and pepper on my grits, thanks. I know a few people from parts south that would give some serious side-eye for that.

For using salt & pepper or for not using salt & pepper? I sometimes add the S&P and sometimes I don’t. It depends. 

5 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Clyde, sometimes I think you're not too tightly wrapped......Philo Beddoe

JHC :P

I grew up pretty poor. Especially from 4th grade on. Long story. Anyway, corn bread reminds me of the really hard times, because we ate a lot of it. 

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

For using salt & pepper or for not using salt & pepper? I sometimes add the S&P and sometimes I don’t. It depends. 

I grew up pretty poor. Especially from 4th grade on. Long story. Anyway, corn bread reminds me of the really hard times, because we ate a lot of it. 

For using them.

I understand, even if my view on it sort of comes from another direction. We certainly weren't rich, but we weren't what I would call poor. Probably "Lower-Middle Middle Class." My dad was a journeyman machine repairman, my mom a housewife. I had numerous friends who were far poorer. Both grew up poor though. Both the children of coalminers in Eastern Kentucky. Dad had five siblings. My mom, between siblings and half-siblings had thirteen. My mom was the second oldest, and the oldest female, so when her mom died when she was 8, she took on a lot of responsibility, including cooking. Corn bread was a staple for both of them, and that continued on into their marriage and my childhood. It remains a connection for me to all of that, and a matter of pride that I can make a reasonably palatable version, even if it is not as good as hers was in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My wife is that way with rice and gravy (dammit). Won't hardly touch it. Time was she was raising 3 kids on her own and had to borrow grease to make gravy. Kinda like my dad was with Spam after living on it in the South Pacific for a few years in WWII.

JHC

Archived