SASS Wire Forum

Graphite in BP ??

Eyesa Horg

I may have found a source for BP. When I called they said that their own brand, which was made by Goex has no graphite compared to normal Goex. He said folks seem to really like it, but that it doesn't always meter as well. What say you experienced soot lords? You have to get 25 pounds at a time, so I hate to just gamble it!

EH

I have made a little homemade powder and it's not graphited or polished.  I'm thinking graphite is what the G is in ffg but not sure.

Anyway,  my homemade is gray rather than black.  Very ragged edges.  I dip measure it.  Won't meter though anything including powder funnel die. 

He said the graphite actually cause an undesirable coating in the pan of a flintlock. Can't say I've experienced that. I also dip my loads for shotgun and cartridges as well as muzzle loader of course. His price is $16 a pound shipped. He waiting for cans to package it! Everything seems to be a shortage these days.

Gents, that Goex with no graphite is Fa grade (not Fg) Blasting Powder … been using it for years as my source of powder for reloaded shot shells

I see the price of poker has increased too … now $16 a can, last purchase was $11 a can for a case purchase

20 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Gents, that Goex with no graphite is Fa grade (not Fg) Blasting Powder … been using it for years as my source of powder for reloaded shot shells

I see the price of poker has increased too … now $16 a can, last purchase was $11 a can for a case purchase

He's advertising  it as 3F.

Graphite coating on Black Powder has two main purposes, from what I have read.

Reduces sensitivity to static or other electrical discharge because the graphite conducts electricity around the grains.

Improves flow of powder in measures.

All I have ever shot has been graphite coated,

good luck, GJ

Thanks guys. I'm heading out for a couple day match. Will return Monday!

Eysa. Sock it refers to the long time practice of using a cotton tube sock and dumping a 1/4 to a 1/3 lb of BP in it and rolling it around inside. The excess graphite will stick to the inside of the sock giving you much cleaner powder to use for shooting, gets rid of all of the excess graphite. Any of the oldtime muzzle loaders  always used that trick. Cuts way down on the fouling.

kR

26 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

Eysa. Sock it refers to the long time practice of using a cotton tube sock and dumping a 1/4 to a 1/3 lb of BP in it and rolling it around inside. The excess graphite will stick to the inside of the sock giving you much cleaner powder to use for shooting, gets rid of all of the excess graphite. Any of the oldtime muzzle loaders  always used that trick. Cuts way down on the fouling.

kR

So therefore possibly powder without graphite might be better?

Just now, Eyesa Horg said:

So therefore possibly powder without graphite might be better?

No. Socking removes the excess "fines" including graphite from BP. Elephant, Dupont, Goex etc used to have quite a bit of fines when you got to the bottom of the can. sometimes if a can or container of BP or sub is old it will have more than the usual amount of fines causing an inconsistancy in velocity. If it is powder instead of graphite it would give a much hotter load resulting in a possible miss.

kR

Elsa, your correct … I forgot about the 3Fa grade … because I never bought it

And Kid Rich has the best explanation about socking, It’s the powder fines of black powder ( FFFFg and dust) that is primarily being removed from the grain sizes up to FFFG not graphite.  Graphite is the glaze coating on the charcoal grains

One of my best 1000yd group reloads was Goex Cartridge FFg, that had been socked and a Paul Jones Creedmoor bullet

Thanks guys. We had a great last shoot for our club as we have lost our venue. Even with the rainy weather we had 16 or so shooters and a wonderful time and lots of laughs.

2 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

We heard from Doc that you were going to lose your shoot at that facility. Too bad always looked forward to shooting there.

kR

Yeh, It was a sad day putting things away for the last time. We are actively looking for a new location and have one iron in the fire so far. Still more work to be done! Moving all our stuff should be a treat! But, I have confidence we will get it done. Caledonia was a nice venue for what we do.

EH

Archived