SASS Wire Forum

Refrigerator pickles

I have one you redo store bought and just add your spices if your interested,   Sweet horseradish      GW

7 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Go to market and buy some already done, hide them in the back of your fridge, "discover" them in  about six months. :)

..... you might want to tear the labels off before you hide them  ;)

main-qimg-e3cfb928404fcd10a674c857c042352c.gif.be92088d4c3160c898577cf39064c7b3.gif

7 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Go to market and buy some already done, hide them in the back of your fridge, "discover" them in  about six months. :)

..... you might want to tear the labels off before you hide them  ;)

I detect that you have no sense of culinary adventure.

The Mrs has started doing this by making a brine of sorts and waffle slicing fresh cucumbers and letting it all get yummy in the fridge. Don’t know if she has any specific recipe for it however 

:ph34r:

Basic "brine":  1 cup sugar (or equivalent), 2/3 cup vinegar (I use ACV), 1 tsp salt - heat until sugar dissolves.  No need to boil.

Then add seasonings while mixture is still hot.  For dill, use dill seed (obviously).  For bread & butter, use whole allspice, clove, little bit of stick cinnamon (I like more clove than cinnamon).  Basically, it's like Justin Wilson's Cajun cooking:  use what you like and what you got.

Slice your cukes (and onion) into the cooled mixture, put in fridge in glass container (Mason jar), and let rest 12 hours.

Archived