SASS Wire Forum

Vegemite and Marmite

Subdeacon Joe

Both, other than being high in sodium, are fairly nutritious.  Marmite is a bit milder and sweeter.

I've tried both, like both, don't have a preference and find them pretty much interchangeable. Both make a nice addition to soups and stews.  Add to sour cream or yogurt along with chopped green onions to make a dip.  Mix with cream cheese and chopped olives for a sandwich spread, or to spread on crackers or toast.

They both make a nice crust on a roast, although for that Marmite is a bit better because it is more easily spreadable.

How do you use them?

Vegemite is my "Maryanne" in this argument ......

..... most of the above (but I have no use for olives) are great .... 

I like my vegemite on buttered toast, just as GOD intended .....   :wub:

32 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

So,   You toast some bread, butter it, then spread vegemite?

Like Wallaby that's the best way that I have my Vegemite, but there was some great ideas that Subdeacon Joe had......as long as you use Vegemite and throw the Marmite where it belongs in the bin!!!

Vegemite is a thick, dark brown Australian food spread made from leftover brewers' yeast extract with various vegetable and spice additives. It was developed by Cyril Callister in Melbourne, Victoria in 1922.

Just reading the description is making me gag.  :wacko:

Luv's my vegemite..marmite not so much.

Have it normally on toast but it's my go to on buttered bread when I go to a Cowboy match..& it's great dunked in ya' coffee..chuck a tea spoon of vegemite in a cup of boiled water with some salt...just like Bonox [ do you have that in USA ]...most people when they first taste it say...'what is that s**t '..maybe it is an acquired taste  !!

When Jackson Rose from MO came down-under a couple of years back & stayed with us he tried some..aside from his ears gettin' bigger & eye lashes falling off he said it was fine !!

7 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

as long as you use Vegemite and throw the Marmite where it belongs in the bin!!!

Since I didn't grow up wasn't raised eating either one I have no built in bias.  Didn't try them until in my late 30s.  To me both are somewhat like Better Than Bouillon soup base.  

17 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

just like Bonox [ do you have that in USA ]

This?
See the source image

I think I've seen it in specialty sections of some stores, but it isn't common.  We do have other beef bases that make a nice broth.

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

This?
See the source image

I think I've seen it in specialty sections of some stores, but it isn't common.  We do have other beef bases that make a nice broth.

Yep that's it...again not for everyboy but add some to a cup of hot water with a little salt ....

On 9/29/2021 at 10:04 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Both, other than being high in sodium, are fairly nutritious.  Marmite is a bit milder and sweeter.

I've tried both, like both, don't have a preference and find them pretty much interchangeable. Both make a nice addition to soups and stews.  Add to sour cream or yogurt along with chopped green onions to make a dip.  Mix with cream cheese and chopped olives for a sandwich spread, or to spread on crackers or toast.

They both make a nice crust on a roast, although for that Marmite is a bit better because it is more easily spreadable.

How do you use them?

Agreed, I use them interchangeably when putting a new bag in the trash can and need something to hold it down.  Both give a satisfying thunk to let you know it hit bottom.

Archived