SASS Wire Forum

Those California Waiting Periods

bgavin

Prairie dog season is coming up the end of March next year.
So I started the process to acquire a Savage 223 single shot 223.

It arrived at my LGS about a month ago.
I waited and waited for the email to come up and start the paperwork... no email.
After 10 days, I dropped by and started the paperwork.

They told me to wait a few days beyond the 10-day waiting period, just in case they didn't get the paperwork started right on time.
I waited 15 days which should have been well beyond the required time, but less than the 15 days you have to pick it up before CA nullifies the paperwork, and forces you to start over (and new FFL and Background fees).

I showed up, and was told they only started the paperwork 3 days ago, so now I have to wait until October 5 for the 10-day wait to expire.
I'm glad that dog hunt isn't until next March.

It ain't even worth getting hot or angry over... it is just the way it is here.
The LGS entire storefront is FULL of incoming guns for FFL and pickeup.
They have no guns or merchandise to sell, so they are doing a heckuva business in FFL fees.

This why I couldn't own all the guns in the world, if I had all the money in the world... don't have enough years for all those waiting periods.

2 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

If it makes you feel better we have a waiting period in Texas !!:o

We have to wait for them to read over the 4473 and then ring it up !!:D

Same here in Ohio!

2 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

If it makes you feel better we have a waiting period in Texas !!:o

We have to wait for them to read over the 4473 and then ring it up !!:D

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Sounds like Arizona.

10 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Same here in Ohio!

...................... nobody likes a skite ......   <_<

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".  BUT, obviously, in some places, those rights do not apply to the malarkey required in obtaining a firearm.

Here, I go into a shop, see something I want. I give the cashier the money, and my license-to-carry card. I fill out the paperwork, that takes 3 minutes, maybe.

They hand me my change, my license-to-carry card, and my firearm, and I go my merry way.

In the past, I have done all this, literally, in 16 minutes, from the time I entered the shop. Our only "waiting period" here, is waiting on the change, or the credit card receipt. :FlagAm:

Yes, I do gripe about filling out the stupid sheet, with my personal info on it. But knowing what I have, and finding it, if they come for it, will be two very different things. :D

"Ratsa Ruck" finding it, traitor joe. :P

The eternal choice of mortal man...to endure oppression...or to resist. 

59 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

and my license-to-carry card. I fill out the paperwork

59 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Yes, I do gripe about filling out the stupid sheet, with my personal info on it.

Infringement is infringement.  It's just a matter of degree.  Once you have to beg a license from the State it is no longer a right but largess bestowed by the State onto those deemed worthy.

3 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Several local FFLs impose a one week waiting period between pistols because they don’t want to fill out the extra form.  It also increases the transfer fees.

Here in CA, there is a mandatory 30-day wait between hand guns.

14 hours ago, bgavin said:

Here in CA, there is a mandatory 30-day wait between hand guns.

Not just limited to handguns.  Signed by Emperor Newsom last year and effective July 01 2021:  :(

SB 61

Summary: 

The bill extends the prohibition from buying more than one handgun a month to include semiautomatic rifles as well.

Current law: 

People can only buy one handgun in a 30-day window.  The law prohibits gun dealers from delivering a handgun to a gun buyer in that 30-day time period. 

The exception is if the gun buyer is a law enforcement officer or an active duty member of the armed forces.  

What's new: 

The law that prohibits people from purchasing more than a handgun a month would be extended to those who want to buy a long gun as well. 

The law would also restrict people under the age of 21 from buying a gun. 

The same gun control bills are recycled year after year after year, and they gain a few yards every down. They're playing the long game, and will inevitably reach the goal line sooner or later. :(

There for a while in 2019 I was part of what I like to call “The Gun A Month Club” here in The People’s Republic. 

Then one day CoVid struck…and truth be told, my wife was about to strike me. :lol:

Since March of 2020 I have only bought 2 guns. My Glock 34 that I bought in August 2020 and my S&W 25-15 “Classic” .45 Colt that I bought in March 2021. When I bought them I was told there may be a delay in the 10 day wait “due to CoVid”. 
When day 10 hit for my Glock the store hadn’t received the release yet. I called every day. On day 15 nothing. I got pizzed and called the OAG Bureau of Firearms. Of course no one answered “…due to CoVid we cannot answer phones…blah, blah, blah..,”

So, I went on their website and right up top it said “If you’re contacting us about delays we are overwhelmed with requests” and so on and so forth…

I left a written request / message anyway. I nicely explained that if it was something they wanted from me they sure as hell would expect it when required and that I expected the same  from them. I then gave all the details of my gun purchase; store info, gun info, my info. I then submitted it. 2 hours later my store called and said “Come and get it.”

When I got there I was told I must have gotten lucky because most purchases were running right up to the limit snd some had to be resubmitted. 

So, either I did get lucky OR my firm, but polite diatribe worked. 
@bgavin send them a message. It may help. I do not know for sure if it will, but it can’t hurt. 

My second gun purchase went through without a hitch, by California standards. 

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms

In my state with a CCW # on the FFL there is zero wait time, no phone call. Fill out the 4473, pay your money and off you go. 

Actually takes me longer to decide what gun to buy than it does buying it. :D

13 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

In my state with a CCW # on the FFL there is zero wait time, no phone call. Fill out the 4473, pay your money and off you go. 

Ohio is the same! Great ain’t it??

Just now, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Ohio is the same! Great ain’t it??

For gun sales yes but we suck on outdoor scenery here. :D

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

For gun sales yes but we suck on outdoor scenery here. :D

Where you at??

For those who are enjoying their 2A rights (for now), remember the Democrat fully intends to make the CA standard, the same for all of America.
As noted above, they are playing the long game.
And we are losing. 

I still have only a 10 day wait, as mine is a single shot rifle.
CA ignores these, and also ignores lever action rifles with tubular magazines.
CA also ignores smog on motorcycles... but that is a story for another day.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Where you at??

Kansas.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

For those who are enjoying their 2A rights (for now), remember the Democrat fully intends to make the CA standard, the same for all of America.
As noted above, they are playing the long game.
And we are losing.

I am not that pessimistic. I might be wrong. I hope not. It's scary to think of the amount of America hating Americans there seem to be anymore.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

There for a while in 2019 I was part of what I like to call “The Gun A Month Club” here in The People’s Republic.

IIRC, I accumulated some 170 days of CA waiting period while gathering his and hers guns for SASS.
I added additional days for my trap gun, '06 and now this incoming 223.

Funny story, back before the Covid I bought a gun and came back ten days later to pick it up. Turns out I had purchased it at lunch time before the switch to daylight savings time. I picked it up at lunch time 10 days later, but the state refused to let me get it. I had to wait exactly an hour because it wasn’t exactly 10 24 hour days haha. 

5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

A federal judge here ruled the 10 day wait unconstitutional if you already owned a firearm. The reasoning made perfect sense, as the bill was written to consider the 10 wait a “cooling off” period, which is not needed if you already own a gun. But then there was an appeal blah blah. No idea where that’s at currently in the court process.

Of all the gun laws here, the 10 day wait is my least favorite. One time I ordered a Shiloh sharps that took over 2 years to make. There’s nothing worse than finally seeing that beautiful rifle, only to box it back up and come back in 10 days. Very long ten day wait that one was. 

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Funny story, back before the Covid I bought a gun and came back ten days later to pick it up. Turns out I had purchased it at lunch time before the switch to daylight savings time. I picked it up at lunch time 10 days later, but the state refused to let me get it. I had to wait exactly an hour because it wasn’t exactly 10 24 hour days haha. 

A federal judge here ruled the 10 day wait unconstitutional if you already owned a firearm. The reasoning made perfect sense, as the bill was written to consider the 10 wait a “cooling off” period, which is not needed if you already own a gun. But then there was an appeal blah blah. No idea where that’s at currently in the court process.

Of all the gun laws here, the 10 day wait is my least favorite. One time I ordered a Shiloh sharps that took over 2 years to make. There’s nothing worse than finally seeing that beautiful rifle, only to box it back up and come back in 10 days. Very long ten day wait that one was. 

Good to see you back here.

Missed your point of view on things

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

5 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Good to see you back here.

Missed your point of view on things

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Thanks partner. I didn’t go anywhere. I just don’t check this as often as I used to. Partly due to being so busy working from home and schooling kids while the schools were shut down. Partly due to not being able to shoot as much so it’s not always on my mind. And partly because I’m not buying as much stuff lately so I’m not checking the classifieds every 10 minutes haha. 

How many gun laws?

Idaho has one.  California has 107.  How many does YOUR state have?

(Click on the link for an interactive map)

https://www.statefirearmlaws.org/state-state-firearm-law-data

929137126_GunLawsMap.thumb.jpg.05bca685d171b2c8a70bfb0af3f0621a.jpg

22 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

A federal judge here ruled the 10 day wait unconstitutional if you already owned a firearm.

And we all know that went nowhere.
CA still stills the LGS how to dance, or they will close down the LGS.
"Real ID" required to even buy ammo, then $1 background check for every ammo purchase.
(So far) you don't have to be "registered" to buy a specific caliber of ammo... but that will no doubt change.
You DO have to have at least one firearm "registered" to the same address as your CA Real ID drivers license, to buy ammo at all.

Amazon won't even ship a BB rifle to a CA address.
We have to go over the hill to Reno to find a Red Ryder at a Walmart.
$23 at Walmart, $50 at BassPro if they have any in stock.

Happy to not have a waiting period here in Louisiana. With my concealed carry permit they don't even have to call it in. Just fill out the form, pay and leave. 

On 9/30/2021 at 2:29 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

How many gun laws?

Idaho has one.  California has 107.  How many does YOUR state have?

(Click on the link for an interactive map)

https://www.statefirearmlaws.org/state-state-firearm-law-data

929137126_GunLawsMap.thumb.jpg.05bca685d171b2c8a70bfb0af3f0621a.jpg

A little out of date and missing some items. Also lots of the laws listed duplicate federal law (so a local officer does not need to contact the fed for a charge of felon in possession).

But as to what I think is your point, the map gives a good view of which states are better. Your map shows it at a glance. I like it.

For current general law by state at a maintained site, I like Gary Slider's page. But for any individual state, each one has a lot of detail; I have to research state sites before every trip I take.

I looked at Tennessee in your link. It shows 22 laws. I assure you we have many more than 22.

Obscure Tennessee gun law not in the linked map (or in my link)...

We have a restricted ammo law. Not by manufacturer and model, but by type. Non-lead ammo is restricted. Pure lead, alloyed, plated, jacketed, and steel core are all good. And hollow points are fine here too. But if it is non-lead -- pure copper for instance -- Then the restriction applies.

No person in Tennessee may use restricted ammo in a crime.  I can buy pure copper RIP rounds legally here, I can shoot them legally here. But it seems the law intends to stop me from using them in a crime. 

California has a different view of non-lead ammo... The trend in California is to outlaw lead bullets and require substitutes such as copper.

31 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

A little out of date and missing some items. Also lots of the laws listed duplicate federal law (so a local officer does not need to contact the fed for a charge of felon in possession).

Supposed to be current as of 2020... one would be hard pressed to find any list more up-to-date than that, I'd think.

I'm danged jealous of your ammo laws!  California just plain sucks in that department...  and now they're pushing to outlaw lead ammo for target shooting.  And fishing sinkers.  It's for our own good, don'tcha know... just like all those poor hunters over the years, too many target shooters and fishermen dropping dead from lead poisoning.  image.png.b512dcf5c911c1f4141184989f3c465b.png

CA and NY have bills pending to ban lead, state-wide.
No matter how many/few/duplicate/erroneous laws are on the books, We The People still have to subscribe to them all.

16 minutes ago, bgavin said:

CA and NY have bills pending to ban lead, state-wide.
No matter how many/few/duplicate/erroneous laws are on the books, We The People still have to subscribe to them all.

Swell, ain't it?  Bunch of folks who know absolutely nothing about the matter pushing laws to control other people's lives when it has absolutely no impact or bearing on their own.  :angry:

On 9/30/2021 at 8:16 AM, bgavin said:

CA also ignores smog on motorcycles... but that is a story for another day.

Not if they can get a large sum of money. Just ask Jessie James.  He offered to bring every bike into spec but the CARB only wanted the money.

Jesse James fined for air-quality violation

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I'm danged jealous of your ammo laws!  California just plain sucks in that department...  and now they're pushing to outlaw lead ammo for target shooting.  And fishing sinkers.  It's for our own good, don'tcha know... just like all those poor hunters over the years, too many target shooters and fishermen dropping dead from lead poisoning.  image.png.b512dcf5c911c1f4141184989f3c465b.png

I think I have explained the real reason Sacramento and it’s ilk wanted Prop 65 and to ban lead. 

They look at their children and believe everyone’s children are as dense, daft and drifty and they believe it’s the environment. It can’t be their genes as they are perfect. Yes? No?

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think I have explained the real reason Sacramento and it’s ilk wanted Prop 65 and to ban lead. 

They look at their children and believe everyone’s children are as dense, daft and drifty and they believe it’s the environment. It can’t be their genes as they are perfect. Yes? No?

Man, if their kids are as dense as they are, we're freakin' doomed.  :(

'Specially since positions of power in this state are hereditary....  <_<

I fully realize it is not a simple thing, or easy solution, to your firearms problems...there are lots of hurdles to get over, and a long, tough, fight....

But...for those of us that are on the outside, looking in, that don't (and won't) live there, we see things through the media, and sometimes hear things from those that do live there, that honestly we do not understand.

We, that don't live there, live in states that don't have your restrictions. We scratch out heads, and wonder how far all this will be allowed to go? We wonder if this cancer will spread to where we are?

Your election recall, of the "King", did not work, for whatever reason/excuse, and the same leftists keep getting elected to state level positions, as well as the national congress, over and over again.

Note: I am not criticizing the folks that live there, and are having to endure this travesty, and don't like it. We, that don't live there, want change, for the better, for all you Pards, and we know you are not happy about any of this. Seeing what has, and is, happening, I have not clue as to what can be done, but it has to begin with the Pards that live there, and their involvement in the process. There is an old saying..."If you eat, you are involved in politics". 

You folks had a recall petition, signed by enough people that it went forward. One thing to do, is start that process again. Never let up, or surrender. That was Churchhill's philosophy.  

(Your "King" just announced that mandatory vaccines will be required from K though 12...the first such command in the U.S.)

The firearms restrictions are only going to get worse.

You Pards that live there, have my utmost respect, for enduring all this. From here, all I can do is pray.  

The eternal choice of moral man...to endure oppression...or to resist.

Archived