SASS Wire Forum

44 russian/special black powder bullet choice

Tulsey, SASS#11236

I want to order some black powder lubed bullets to load 44 Russian for pistols and 44 Special for rifle to use with real black powder. Over the years I have used from 165 up to 240 in the Russian cases with black powder sub . The rifle seemed to like heavier bullets in smokeless loads to seal well. I fired some 180 gr Specials with bp in the rifle and it seemed to seal ok. I just would like to have only one weight for black powder lubed bullets and the lighter the weight the cheaper they are. Anyone's experience might be helpful is buying just one bullet for both. Thanks.  

When I was shooting 44 I liked the Heavy Big Lube bullets with my BP/subs, but I no longer cast and don't know anyone casting those bullets.

The heaviest Big Lube 44 is 200 grains. I know the guy who casts them if you want to pm me for his info.

I have been running the lighter 165 grain 44Slim Big Lube in 44 Russian cases through my Remington 1875's for the last 3 shoots as I wanted to try 2 handed shooting and my Opentops don't like it, just duelist shooting for them. They get dirty but still last 5 stages just fine, with a compressed load of fg. 

EHSN: you ever coming back to shoot with us, or is the Covid thing slowing you down?

Howdy

I use the Mav-Dutchman 200 grain Big Lube bullet for all my 44-40 and 44 Russian loads. I don't load 44 Special with Black Powder, but if I did I would use the same bullet.

poISaEZ0j

Here is what my Mav-Dutchman mold looks like. Half of it anyway.

pnTabU0Dj

I used to cast my own, but these days I buy all my Big Lube bullets from Springfield Slim. A little bit too much lead in my blood.

poRMWYiRj

This is a photo demonstrating the huge lube groove in the Big Lube series of bullets. On the left is the 200 grain Mav-Dutchman loaded into one of my Blackpowder 44-40 rounds. The bullet on the left has had all the lube removed from the lube groove, the bullet on the right has the lube groove filled with lube.  On the right is a 45 Colt round and the 250 grain PRS Big Lube bullet. These bullets will provide enough lube to keep the barrel of a rifle coated with soft bullet lube for its entire length.

pmHpBNt7j

21 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

EHSN: you ever coming back to shoot with us, or is the Covid thing slowing you down?

Hey Slim. Yeah I really miss shooting with you. The Covid thing definitely slowed me down. As you know, my wife is a nurse and it’s kept her really busy. Couple that with my kids getting to that age where they have something going on every weekend it seems and it’s near impossible to get to a shoot. The good news is that it’s kept me from experiencing the primer shortage though. 

Archived