SASS Wire Forum

Replacing the side plate on an 1873

Black Angus McPherson

The short story:  I took my Uberti 1873 apart to clean and now I'm having difficulty getting the left side plate back on.  It doesn't want to sit flat against the frame.  In the past I'd just jiggle it around until it fell into place.  That doesn't seem to be working today.  (Lot's of other bad luck today, too.  That would be a long story)

So, what's the trick to get the side plate on properly?  Do I just give it a whack with the palm of my hand?

I figured I ought to take a break from it and see if it just fell into place when I got back to it.  Meanwhile, I thought I'd ask here to see if there's a trick involved.

Thanks, 

Angus

If you know the old joke "I'm afraid to go to the bathroom" you know what kind of a day I'm having.

Also, the front of the side plates are rabbited, and you need to slide the front edge "into" the frame as you put the plate on (by raising back end of each plate slightly and pushing forward). 

And make sure the 3 pins for the toggle links are centered, not sticking out past frame.

good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Three Gun Cole said:

Losen the lever spring screws,

place lever springs on top of cam

tighten screws while hold spring  pushed tight to the lever on top of the cam 

Yep, that was it.  Really simple once you see it.  Thanks

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Also, the front of the side plates are rabbited, and you need to slide the front edge "into" the frame as you put the plate on (by raising back end of each plate slightly and pushing forward). 

And make sure the 3 pins for the toggle links are centered, not sticking out past frame.

good luck, GJ

I knew the front of the plates were rebated, or undercut.  And the pins were well centered and the toggle links flush.  I just couldn't figure out why the back end wouldn't just drop into place.  Thanks.

That's one problem solved.  I'm still having problems with my reloading room having turned into a Bermuda Triangle franchise and the fact I keep dropping every dang thing I pick up today.  Maybe it's poltergeists warming up for Halloween.

Angus

7 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

The rebated grooves also need to be clean and unoccluded.   The tip of a sharp ice pick does a good job of scraping them out.  

1 hour ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Who was the character in Lil' Abner that always had a rain cloud over his head?

Joe Btfsplk.

Yeah, I’m old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Btfsplk

On 9/28/2021 at 2:30 PM, Black Angus McPherson said:

The short story:  I took my Uberti 1873 apart to clean and now I'm having difficulty getting the left side plate back on.  It doesn't want to sit flat against the frame.  In the past I'd just jiggle it around until it fell into place.  That doesn't seem to be working today.  (Lot's of other bad luck today, too.  That would be a long story)

So, what's the trick to get the side plate on properly?  Do I just give it a whack with the palm of my hand?

I figured I ought to take a break from it and see if it just fell into place when I got back to it.  Meanwhile, I thought I'd ask here to see if there's a trick involved.

Thanks, 

Angus

If you know the old joke "I'm afraid to go to the bathroom" you know what kind of a day I'm having.

Is it possible you pulled the lever &/or carrier spring to the side in order to pull the lever out? I forget to push them back in from time to time, & it acts as you describe.

3 hours ago, Max Payne said:

Is it possible you pulled the lever &/or carrier spring to the side in order to pull the lever out? I forget to push them back in from time to time, & it acts as you describe.

I didn't remove the lever.  I hadn't planned on taking off the side plates, either, but, well... reasons.  I removed the left plate.  The right plate and right side links fell off.  That was as far as the disassembly progressed.

It wasn't my best day.

11 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Who was the character in Lil' Abner that always had a rain cloud over his head?

10 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Joe Btfsplk.

Yeah, I’m old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Btfsplk

Man, y'all got me on that one. The only one I could remember was Bad Luck Shleprock.

Hot Cartoon Schleprock Flintstones Bad Fate T Shirt

On 9/29/2021 at 3:45 PM, Black Angus McPherson said:

I didn't remove the lever.  I hadn't planned on taking off the side plates, either, but, well... reasons.  I removed the left plate.  The right plate and right side links fell off.  That was as far as the disassembly progressed.

It wasn't my best day.

The toggle links almost always fall of when they are facing down as you remove a side plate.  At least that's true after they get a bit of use/wear.  Fortunately, they go back in quite easily.  You'll get used to full disassembly as the need to clean or adjust the gun happens.  Most experienced 73 shooters can walk you through it pretty quickly if you need help.  Just ask them.   

What is important is not to lose any of the pins, which also commonly drop out.  And if the front toggle pin drops out, be sure not to lose the small tang that it anchors-- the one that engages with the firing pin extension.  They'll tang is quite hard and it will bounce a long ways off of a hard floor.   

Don't ask me how I learned that.  

Archived