SASS Wire Forum

Goex plant to close immediately

Go West

I don't shoot BP, but saw this article in the American Rifleman today. This was the last BP plant in the US.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/hodgdon-closes-goex-blackpowder-plant/

Whoops! I saw the previous post after posting this. I evidently didn't scroll down far enough.

There is a demand for real black powder. The demand is not small, or as small as they seem to perhaps think it is.

I do believe that someone will step in, and fill that demand. I think they have underestimated the ramifications of closing this plant, and the reactions they will receive. 

Where there is demand, there is opportunity, and money to be made. 

I believe someone, with some business sense, and a nose for gain/profit, will decide to do something, and step in.

Obviously, the employees will either be reassigned to other locations, or lose their jobs. 

Yes, I am sure there were "reasons" why this decision was made. I am sure "money" was the big "reason". I do not believe for a nano-second it was the only "reason". I spent too many years working under bone-head management, and their bone-headed decisions, to be that naive. Decisions are all made by imperfect human beings, that have their own agenda, motives, and (correct or incorrect) information. Being in management does not automatically carry with it the ability, and foresight, to make decisions that are correct every single time. 

This company also makes pyrodex. Could that have played a part in this? We won't know the full/true story, until judgment day, I am sure.

The blackpowder fans will now be under more pressure to locate foreign made blackpowder, like Swiss, which is more expensive, but...there it is. 

There are a lot more blackpowder fans/users out there, than many think. :FlagAm:

I wonder...was this decision made by the relatives of the same one's that made the decision to abandon Afghanistan, Americans, and ignore the border crisis?

My Ticked-Off Two Bits.

W.K. 

Stuff like this always makes me regret not ordering more of it a few months ago when it was available everywhere.  But you simply cant buy and store enough of everything to have on hand all the time just in case tomorrow it becomes unavailable.  Sure, you always have some extra stashed away but that usually isn't enough to continue pre-Armageddon consumption during the post Armageddon times.  This applies to everything, Primers, powder, brass and bullets, toilet paper, gasoline, and your favorite candy bar.  

But still, wish I had placed the order I was going to but then decided not to...

8 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

There is a demand for real black powder. The demand is not small, or as small as they seem to perhaps think it is.

I do believe that someone will step in, and fill that demand. I think they have underestimated the ramifications of closing this plant, and the reactions they will receive. 

If you're that certain, put your financing and business plan together and submit it. I'm pretty sure they'll entertain all proposals

4 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

If you're that certain, put your financing and business plan together and submit it. I'm pretty sure they'll entertain all proposals

The only "business plan" I have, at the present time, is trying do whatever I can to cure my wife of stage 4 uterine cancer. Since the insurance company won't pay for any treatment, that they don't approve of, I have been spending my own savings, and retirement income, since 2016, for two I.V.'s a week, plus tests. 

So, obviously, I can't put my money where my mouth is. I am putting it toward insurance unapproved, non-chemo, non-radiation, cancer treatments. 

So far...she is still alive...thanks to the grace of the Lord Jesus.

She did have the one of the "big three" standard, insurance approved, treatments. She was cut on (surgery). But she declined the burning (radiation), and the poisoning (chemo).  

But, never-the-less, I am certain there is a demand for real blackpowder. Several thousand members of the N.M.L.R.A., N.R.A., S.A.S.S., NCOWS, Rendezvous Clubs, Mountain Men Organizations, Sportsmen, Hunters, Plinkers, History Enthusiasts, and lots of folks that get hooked the first time they load, and shoot, a blackpowder firearm, tells me so. I shot my first blackpowder firearm in 1958, my uncle's Colt .45, made in the 1880's. I was hooked.

Also, push comes to shove, many individuals can make their own.  

I would not be surprised if someone, or group, steps up to the plate, buys the facility, and continues to make blackpowder, in the U.S.A., perhaps under a different name, unless they buy the rights to the name, also. I have discovered that one man's, or in this case, one company's "reasons", and decisions for doing something, in this case closing the Goex plant, may be another company or group's success. A lot of factors at play as to why that is. 

Among my other jobs, for 40 years, before I retired, I was part of a small group that counseled business owners, that were in trouble. I have some experience in seeing potential opportunities for businesses.

When I was working, about 50% of businesses failed within the first five years, for various reasons, or excuses. 

Not sure how many of those 50% failures were because of poor foresight/poor research/poor business decisions, and failure of seeing and taking positive advantage of investment opportunities. The business failures, that our group looked at, were likely different than perhaps business failures in the northeast, or in Kalifornia, or other States. I only know what my own life experiences told me, based on what went on in my area of the country.

I am done with all that, thank goodness...so the stats may be worse now days. 

15 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

When you can't even get percussion caps it's kind of a moot point.

I have not had any problems lately getting caps or Goex. Ordered 4 cans from MidwayUSA a month ago. 

Really hate hearing that they are closing down this plant though. Lots of people in this state will now be let go and need new jobs. 

Hoping someone else buys the company and keeps the brand going. 

Here is another link about the Goex plant. This last one was their 7th explosion since opening the campus in Minden, La. 

Public awaits answers on Goex explosion | Webster Parish Journal

20 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I believe someone, with some business sense, and a nose for gain/profit, will decide to do something, and step in.

Obviously, the employees will either be reassigned to other locations, or lose their jobs. 

Yes, I am sure there were "reasons" why this decision was made. I am sure "money" was the big "reason". I do not believe for a nano-second it was the only "reason". I spent too many years working under bone-head management, and their bone-headed decisions, to be that naive. Decisions are all made by imperfect human beings, that have their own agenda, motives, and (correct or incorrect) information. Being in management does not automatically carry with it the ability, and foresight, to make decisions that are correct every single time. 

This company also makes pyrodex. Could that have played a part in this? We won't know the full/true story, until judgment day, I am sure.

The blackpowder fans will now be under more pressure to locate foreign made blackpowder, like Swiss, which is more expensive, but...there it is. 

There are a lot more blackpowder fans/users out there, than many think. :FlagAm:

I wonder...was this decision made by the relatives of the same one's that made the decision to abandon Afghanistan, Americans, and ignore the border crisis?

My Ticked-Off Two Bits.

W.K. 

First of all prayers up for your wife, I wish her healing to go well!

To your comment, I don't think there's a big demand for black powder at all. Less than 10% of the shooters at the matches I go to shoot BP. Some shoot BP Subs. As far as hunting, how much do you really use when hunting? My two neighbors hunt with BP subs.I don't know I don't think there's much of a demand.:rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:be worse now days. 

Sorry to hear about your wife WK, mine has stage 4 cancer as well. 

Hodgdon has been making money in the powder business for a long time. I’m sure they know more about the business than any of us. 

43 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

To your comment, I don't think there's a big demand for black powder at all. Less than 10% of the shooters at the matches I go to shoot BP. Some shoot BP Subs. As far as hunting, how much do you really use when hunting? My two neighbors hunt with BP subs.I don't know I don't think there's much of a demand.:rolleyes:

Another hobby that uses a fair amount of black powder, Civil War reenacting has been in a pretty steady decline since 2015, the last year of the 150th anniversary events.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

BP use in CAS is a very small portion of the BP used. I used BP for  20+ years before I ever heard about CAS I rarely shoot it in CAS now but use quite a bit of it elsewhere including WB.

kR

I know a guy that is into fireworks.  They actually have a convention where you learn to make different types of fireworks.  Talking with him, they pretty much use BP exclusively.  He sent me a chart that showed the differences in sizes of the powder(s) and their designations.  Some of what they use is the size of pea gravel.  I though FG was big.  Not so much.  If this puts a crimp in our style, it is going to put a real hurt on the fourth of July celebrations.

The 7th explosion at the plant since 1997. Yikes, not a very good track record!

Not knowing the cause and effect one could guess the cost to repair/rebuild the plant exceeds the ability to pay for it out of profits or a loan in a reasonable time. So close it down.

I bet their insurance went up a bit after each explosion?

Archived