SASS Wire Forum

The Aussie Humour Thread

Buckshot Bear

SWMBO, Big Red and I were supposed to visit Aus. when my hunting partner and his wife and kids were on a Teacher's Exchange, in Cairns.

Then he sent me this: 

775389f4acdd5dcf39071ee5797e4d07--aussie-australia-australia-funny.jpg

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

SWMBO, Big Red and I were supposed to visit Aus. when my hunting partner and his wife and kids were on a Teacher's Exchange, in Cairns.

Then he sent me this: 

775389f4acdd5dcf39071ee5797e4d07--aussie-australia-australia-funny.jpg

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=8fe086043a35e362JmltdHM9MTY4MDgyNTYwMCZpZ3VpZD0zYmNlMjUxYi1kNWZhLTZmZGUtMjlhMy0zN2ZiZDQ2YjZlYjcmaW5zaWQ9NTI1MA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=3bce251b-d5fa-6fde-29a3-37fbd46b6eb7&psq=come+to+australia+youtube&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cueW91dHViZS5jb20vd2F0Y2g_dj1lTkVlcTVxR2g4SQ&ntb=1

• Haha 2

Yeah.  I've always heard that, out of all the lethally toxic animals on the planet, the majority are native to Australia.  Must say, tho, that BabyGirl & SIL took my (then) only grandchild at the age of 3.  Not only did they enjoy & survive, Grandson #1 got allllllllll the peanuts he wanted on flights over & back (so freakin' cute, he was).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Interesting. I thought they used to use the same nomenclature as the Brits - p for pennies/pence. 

I Googled and the 'd' is from Latin for denarius.

That was pretty 'uppity' for us Aussies!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I thought everybody knew what d stood for.

When you go to the hardware store and you get a box of six penny nails, what does the box say on the end of it?

grip-rite-box-nails-6hgbx1-c3_1000.jpg

That's right. 6d

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I don't know why people are laughing at that. That's what it's for.

https://www.cnclathing.com/guide/nail-size-chart-penny-size-gauge-length-diameter-of-a-nail-cnclathing

"What is the penny size of a nail? There is a special classification of nail sizes that originated in England – Penny system, the nail size was originally named after the price of 100 nails of a given size. The “d” is the symbol for the penny. For example, 16d stands for 16 penny nail. Now, the term corresponds to the measurement of nails from the head to the tip, which is the nail length, specified by a digit and the letter “D”, which means “penny size”. So, a 2d nail is 1 inch long. More common nail sizes: a 4d nail measures 1.5 inches, a 6d nail is 2 inches long, an 8d nail is 2.5 inches long, a 12d nail is 3.25 inches long, and 16d nails are 3.5 inches long. Every increase or decrease in number means the length change in 1/4 inch."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

When did the Brits stop using d to denote pence/pennies? These days 6 pence is abbreviated to 6p. 

Even though my ancestors originally heralded from Pommie Land.....I don't understand the Pom's pecuniaries :) (I just invented that word).

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I don't know why people are laughing at that. That's what it's for.

https://www.cnclathing.com/guide/nail-size-chart-penny-size-gauge-length-diameter-of-a-nail-cnclathing

"What is the penny size of a nail? There is a special classification of nail sizes that originated in England – Penny system, the nail size was originally named after the price of 100 nails of a given size. The “d” is the symbol for the penny. For example, 16d stands for 16 penny nail. Now, the term corresponds to the measurement of nails from the head to the tip, which is the nail length, specified by a digit and the letter “D”, which means “penny size”. So, a 2d nail is 1 inch long. More common nail sizes: a 4d nail measures 1.5 inches, a 6d nail is 2 inches long, an 8d nail is 2.5 inches long, a 12d nail is 3.25 inches long, and 16d nails are 3.5 inches long. Every increase or decrease in number means the length change in 1/4 inch."

Been a LONG time since nails were graded by 'd' here in Oz.....they're all metric sized now. I still have some packets marked with 4d & 8d in my shed. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

When did the Brits stop using d to denote pence/pennies? These days 6 pence is abbreviated to 6p. 

68/69. The pound used to be 20 shillings and since the shilling is 12 pence that meant a pound was 240 pence.

In either 68 or 69 they changed the way they do things, and now a pound is made up of 100 new pence.

So instead of a £ being 20s or 240d (or some combination thereof), there no longer is an s or a d, and a £ is 100p.

• Like 4