SASS Wire Forum

The Aussie Humour Thread

Buckshot Bear

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Murrumburrah-silo-art_main-photo.thumb.jpg.87bf8b0ce49bea8b5ddd7dcb432020a7.jpg

How do these silos and buildings come to have these great graphics?

The skill and the paint must cost a pretty penny, so who pays for them?

There's got a be a great story behind them. I wish this would be picked up over here.

All we get is CHEW MAIL POUCH TOBACCO on barns, and it's been a long time since that was done.

Now, when towns take some pride in their history, and renovate their aging downtowns, murals might be painted on bare brick walls, and other artwork in other places, but I've never seen the silos painted like this.

And SO many of them! I love it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Brazos John said:

How do these silos and buildings come to have these great graphics?

The skill and the paint must cost a pretty penny, so who pays for them?

There's got a be a great story behind them. I wish this would be picked up over here.

All we get is CHEW MAIL POUCH TOBACCO on barns, and it's been a long time since that was done.

Now, when towns take some pride in their history, and renovate their aging downtowns, murals might be painted on bare brick walls, and other artwork in other places, but I've never seen the silos painted like this.

And SO many of them! I love it!

Thanks Brazos John, I will keep posting some up. They have done wonders for these towns and the towns pride. There are very publicized tourist drives and people flock these routes to see these paintings. Increasing stay overs of tourists and tourist dollars. They have really kicked off and now many towns in different States are doing them as drawcards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Buckshot Bear said:

290766223_5670608656283324_127580182766326855_n.jpg.9578bb7de664504999ca16753c962746.jpg

When I was a young buck, my Labrador; with considerable effort jumped out of the back of my Land Cruiser. The top was up, the back closed but the side panels rolled up.  He had to jump over the folded seat.  Fortunately, sturdy and lucky fellow he was, he only had a bit of road rash.  My dogs do not ride in the bed of the truck ever.  It is common practice here in cattle country as well, but I find it unpleasant to see.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

When I was a young buck, my Labrador; with considerable effort jumped out of the back of my Land Cruiser. The top was up, the back closed but the side panels rolled up.  He had to jump over the folded seat.  Fortunately, sturdy and lucky fellow he was, he only had a bit of road rash.  My dogs do not ride in the bed of the truck ever.  It is common practice here in cattle country as well, but I find it unpleasant to see.

There's differing laws in different States of Australia. Here in NSW by law you have to have your dog on a chain when riding in the back of a ute/truck. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

There's differing laws in different States of Australia. Here in NSW by law you have to have your dog on a chain when riding in the back of a ute/truck. 

I always prefer common sense to force of law!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I always prefer common sense to force of law!

Absolutely me too, but sometimes animals need that little bit of extra protection from folks that really have no right to even own 'em in the first place. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have seen a chained dog jump out of the truckbed. Not pretty. 

Also the one and only time my black lab rode in my truckbed he jumped out when still in my drive. I think he is still mad at the mailbox for suckered punching him in midair. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

I have seen a chained dog jump out of the truckbed. Not pretty. 

Also the one and only time my black lab rode in my truckbed he jumped out when still in my drive. I think he is still mad at the mailbox for suckered punching him in midair. 

Yes, most important to have a short leash in the bed of the truck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

The silos and storage bins are marvelous! Wish they did it here.

They do look good Rip, as I mentioned above they have been great for struggling rural towns as they have created new tourist route drives and brought in much needed $$$ to farming communities. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

They do look good Rip, as I mentioned above they have been great for struggling rural towns as they have created new tourist route drives and brought in much needed $$$ to farming communities. 

...... as something of a community service, ..... would you be kind enough to include the locations of these artworks,  please?  :huh:

..... you know, like if I was to do some touristing or somesuch ............

........ and please make them easier to find than "in Australia" ........ 

B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... as something of a community service, ..... would you be kind enough to include the locations of these artworks,  please?  :huh:

..... you know, like if I was to do some touristing or somesuch ............

........ and please make them easier to find than "in Australia" ........ 

B)

https://www.australiansiloarttrail.com/siloart

Edited by JP Remington
Added link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Amazing.....thank you. I was surprised to see that a lot of them were painted by an Aussie. 

I stand corrected! There are great silo and water tower paintings over here, too! Painted by an Aussie? That's cool, I like their accent! And they have a great sense of humour! (That's Aussie for Humor).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Brazos John said:

I stand corrected! There are great silo and water tower paintings over here, too! Painted by an Aussie? That's cool, I like their accent! And they have a great sense of humour! (That's Aussie for Humor).

That gave me a chuckle Brazos John....thank you :) 

• Like 1