SASS Wire Forum

The Aussie Humour Thread

Buckshot Bear

That's what I thought they looked like. I remember them in 73. Would take them on Boy Scout hikes, along with beef jerky.

I prefer chocolate.

I remember them fondly. Wish they were still available.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

When did McDonalds become Macca?

Says in the first link 2013 but I always thought it was earlier than that -

https://australianfoodtimeline.com.au/mcdonalds-becomes-maccas/

Second link -

https://mcdonalds.com.au/about-maccas/maccas-story

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Drunken pork?

My mothers' Grandfather had an inn about halfway between Wingham and Port Macquarie, this was a 2 day ride back then so this inn was a welcome respite for weary travellers. Back then you grew and butchered or bartered for  everything you needed. Our man, Gothold was his name, had been a vintner back in Switzerland and the back of his property backed up the eastern side of a mountain which proved favourable for growing grapes and  thus making wine.

One day a Methodist Minister passed through, and my Great Grandfather "got religion"; seein's how Methodists are basically non-drinkers and Gothold had a supply of his grape product this created a bit of a conundrum within the confines of his hat. So to ease his guilty conscience he decided to just tip it all out.

Now part of his "self sufficiency" he not only had cattle (both dairy and beef) and pigs (pork, bacon and ham) and he decided to tip his wine stocks out into the pig trough (waste not, want not) and the pigs loved (hic) it. Drunken pigs, pickled pork, staggering bacon, ... call it what you will, but them hawgs was plastered.

Now this all caused Great Grandfather quite some distress because his pigs all had massive hangovers .... and by then he realised that he could have made it all into vinegar and used in the inns' kitchen and also to barter for other produce and services amongst the local population. Selling the wine was never even considered as an option as those proceeds would have been considered as ill-gotten gains .

The property is still there, although sold long before I was born, and is not far over our back fence.  :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Those look like sand spurs.  Sand Spurs will get through all but quality flip flops.

"Cats Heads" will do that, but these are just your every day garden (lawn) variety bindi .

......... if one is barefoot, one must LOOK where one is walking whilst one is on the lawn ....

........ or one starts "doin' tha bindi hop"  :(:o:(

Edited by Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

image.png.117e7ca99e313fefae34d75ad96038ea.png

My first Labrador would steal a beer from the washtub or open cooler at parties, find a nice spot in the shade and crunch the can gently to pierce it and drink the beer.  Never seemed to get a buzz, though!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

My first Labrador would steal a beer from the washtub or open cooler at parties, find a nice spot in the shade and crunch the can gently to pierce it and drink the beer.  Never seemed to get a buzz, though!

........ I would have ...   :blush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Those look like sand spurs.  Sand Spurs will get through all but quality flip flops.

How does a guy from Montana know about sand spurs? The Florida state flower.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

277522038_4631743700268723_8684080543149898651_n.jpg.6c264955ac8fac21fa1f2535d96a0208.jpg

Now, THAT is a washboard road! It hurts just looking at it!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 3/27/2022 at 4:49 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

277469550_347538727316293_5943851266332962610_n.jpg.26f4dbfd8a5618b58eb7590540bf6467.jpg

Called them Goat Heads when I was stationed in Fallon NV and China Lake CA. Saw more than one cheap car tire punctured by one. Bicycle tires were no match for them.

The first house I bought at China Lake, the back yard was covered in them.  Bought a roll of burlap and drug sections around the yard collecting the %$@#$ seeds. After 6 months finally collected 99% of them but ruined a pair of boots in the process,

• Like 2