40 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

image.thumb.png.b503a56c85f3840e7c82f062ad8c6277.png

You beat me to this one by 40 minutes. :o

Must be getting slow in retirement. :blush:

Need to get up earlier and not sleep in. :mellow:

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

277222101_6004145776290014_8324439564264324433_n.jpg.cd50e10c27204285fafc6fa19d2f2c1e.jpg

...... yep, we rolled in Ford Falcons, and Holdens, and ............

It's obviously summer, the bikes are all new, ....... probably a day or two after Christmas .......  :ph34r:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I can relate.  That's the South in July and August.

Hot here means that the humidity and the temperature are racing to 100 Fahrenheit.

The biggest thing to deal with here is that Summer is soooo loooong, it can start getting hot in September and last through to April .......8 months is tough to take and our Winters are over pretty darn fast and then Summer is back again :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

The biggest thing to deal with here is that Summer is soooo loooong, it can start getting hot in September and last through to April .......8 months is tough to take and our Winters are over pretty darn fast and then Summer is back again :( 

I've seen 80 degree temps, golfball-sized hail, a tornado and a couple inches of snow fall- in that order- happen in the span of 8 days around here. 

The only thing that didn't happen was the river didn't turn to blood (even though it flows through Atlanta) and the locusts got lost along the way somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I've seen 80 degree temps, golfball-sized hail, a tornado and a couple inches of snow fall- in that order- happen in the span of 8 days around here. 

The only thing that didn't happen was the river didn't turn to blood (even though it flows through Atlanta) and the locusts got lost along the way somewhere.

Hottest I've felt here is 117°F and it was two weeks after Christmas 2020 :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I've seen 104-105 here and, with the humidity- it's not fun at all. 

With the humidity we have, 90-91 degrees, which are on the low side for daily highs in the summer, can result in a heat index (humidity plus temp- think of it as the South's answer to wind chill factor) over 100 pretty much every day.

Saw 116 in Phoenix once.  I went outside around 2 pm on purpose just to see what it was like. 

It was great in comparison to triple digits in Alabama.  The sun was strong on my skin but it felt like the mid to upper 90's do around here because I'm used to the temp adjusted by the heat index. 

The thing is, you don't realize you are sweating there since it evaporates immediately. 

Here?  The part about having to take a shower because you worked up a sweat drying off from the shower you just took is accurate. 

There's no such thing as 'dry' in the summer, only 'less damp'.  And don't let it rain.  It really is possible to have a 100% humidity without the air actually turning to water.  The air just gets so thick that you need to cut a slice and chew it instead of trying to breathe it.

• Like 3

Yep....the humidity here on the coast is the real killer. Its dreadful, not like inland where its a hot dry heat.

The other whinge that I forgot to mention are the nights. It don't cool down! It's just as hot and bloody humid through the nights as well. I don't know how we managed before A/C.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

sub-buzz-2027-1574390975-1.jpg.3d59298159302c626e3e8c5252fd915c.jpg

Gets warmish here as well 106°F last year.  I keep a towel in the UTV to cover the black upholstery for myself and dog paws as well! Haven't needed the Mitt yet, tho work gloves will do the trick. There are a couple of restaurants that have iron door handles that catch direct sun, they wrap them in cloth in the Summer.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 11:53 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

Yep....the humidity here on the coast is the real killer. Its dreadful, not like inland where its a hot dry heat.

The other whinge that I forgot to mention are the nights. It don't cool down! It's just as hot and bloody humid through the nights as well. I don't know how we managed before A/C.

I am pretty far inland.  The Gulf of Mexico is over a hundred miles to the south and I'm the entire width of the state of Georgia from the Atlantic.  We get all of the humidity and none of the cooling from the on-shore breeze.

Ya'll probably survived like we did.  Old houses in the South have high (12 foot or so) ceilings.  Hot air rises, so you live in the cooler, bottom half of a room.  They are also drafty, have large windows and, usually, deep porches so the entrances are shaded.  Open the doors, open the windows and let the breeze flow through the house.

A style of house called a 'dog trot' was popular as well.  It's basically 2 buildings connected by a central covered breezeway.  You put the kitchen- and all of its' heat- on one side and the other living spaces on the other.

Even the '3 room shotgun house' you find in the old cotton mill towns was designed for dealing with the heat.  They had tall ceilings and windows and, since the interior and exterior doors align, the breeze could flow through the house easily.

Bigger homes- like the mansions in Savannah, have a central room with a cupola in the center of the ceiling.  The windows in the cupola were opened and a chandelier hanging from it's center was lit.  The air heated by the chandelier rose and escaped through the windows, drawing air from all the rooms in the house and in through the open exterior windows and doors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1