SASS Wire Forum

Goex closing down

The Original Lumpy Gritz

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hodgdon closing Goex blackpowder plant!?!

Just saw this on another site. WTH? I'm just getting into Cowboy Shooting and Blackpowder and this could put a major kink in my plans. Have two BP rifles I'm restoring and several BP pistols. DANG!!:angry:

OOPS!! NEVER MIND! Didn't see the posts on this same exact subject.....sorry about that.

On 9/28/2021 at 4:45 AM, Tyrel Cody said:

Don't they have other facilities? Doesn't Powder Inc. still make Goex BP? 

They're just a distributor, I used to buy from them all the time in my BP days.

https://powderinc.com/

Has anyone used powder from Jack's powder keg? I just got off the phone with him and he has no Goex, but has his own brand made by Goex without the graphite. He says his customers really like it. Right at the moment he is trying to get cans to package it! He is going to call back when that happens. It's $400 for 25 #'s shipped I believe.

Almost ordered 10#'s from Buffalo Arms, but couldn't quite see almost $30 a # with shipping. They wanted $58 and change for shipping 10#'s! Since the Goex announcement everyone is out of stock now. Yesterday Maine had some , but a 5-10 # limit. Now they are out of stock and 500 orders behind!

I don't have enough experience to know if graphite is important, Angelo says it craps up flintlock pans being a lubricant. I will be using it in shotgun, C&B, and a percussion Hawken.

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

If you want to make your own BP here’s a link https://www.unitednuclear.com/bp.htm  Intersesting reading if nothing else. 

Looks like making fireworks powder.   Lots, and lots of directions on making black powder - all going in different directions. 

I've made a couple of pounds and got some to work tolerably well.  But my equipment was mostly what I could find.  I found it a dirty job taking a lot of time the way I'm doing it with the equipment I improvised.  

On 9/27/2021 at 7:55 PM, Cemetery said:

I thought the US Military was their biggest client.........wonder what the US Military is gonna do now.......

The the primers/igniters that contain black powder are used to initiate the ignition of propellant used in artillery & other large diameter powder propelled projectiles.

The patent at this link https://patents.google.com/patent/US5831204A/en lists Rheinmetall W&M GmbH as the patent assignee; so,. unless Rheinmetall has a facility in US or has a US subcontractor the black powder charges used in the primer/igniters the DOJ procures have German black powder in them.  With a Buy American requirement only 50+ percent US content is required & if no source of item meets the requirement Buy American is waved.  Considering the complexity of primer/igniters the black powder component costs way less than 50% of the manufacturing cost.  And for howitzers & guns (rifles) that use cased ammo the primer/igniter is a minor part of the cost.  Therefore I suspect that unless the German mfg's can't supply the US commercial demand no one will purchase the GOEX facility except as property to convert to another use.  Hodgdon's black powder trademark's would have value for one of the German co's.  In the time that Hodgdon has owned the plant they had 1000lb explosion in 2011 and the June 18th.  With this history I expect that insurance is now unobtainium or unaffordable.  By unaffordable I mean the cost makes the Cost of Goods Sold higher than the retail price of Swiss & Schutzen.  I am sure Hodgdon's decision to permanently close the facility was driven by either no insurance or manufacturing costs not being competitive.

Anyone interested in a Go-Fund-Me Page to raise $5m?  That's about half of what it will take. 

We will get the other funding from Venture Capital.

I think we can get the factory and the Brand - but we have to more quickly.  

We can set up an ESOP or other investment vehicle to share the benefits together.

Maybe the COVID rescue plan has money available - I'll call Sen. Kennedy (La) and see what help we can get.

I will also reach out to Vista Outdoor and see if they have interest in participating.

Please see our Go-Fund-Me Page to raise funds to purchase the GOEX brand and factory from Hodgdon Powders !

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-black-powder-matter-again?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

Please help, and spread the word !

T-square

Sass no. 105817

goex21x1fix.jpg.4aa68ee12ca41ffd72a0a2f9b568ef43.jpg

I bought some today from these guys. They had a decent amount in stock earlier today. I got six cans of Schuetzen. I am hoping to go pick it up tomorrow. About two hour drive each way. I don't want to be sitting her in six months wishing I had bought some when I could

https://www.kygunco.com/

16 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Their shelves are empty!

Ike, there was a pop up message on the site … a full supply was to be received but Powder Inc has the most available powders of all the sites I looked up

Thanks Snakebite Dust for that link. I got some ordered. A while ago I purchased some smokeless powder I saw at a decent price through powdervalleyinc. Bought 5 lbs of Schuetzen since I was already paying a hazmat fee. Ordered 15 lbs from your linked site.

It's funny because with all the primer and powder supply issues this last year I'd recently been thinking how we haven't had that problem with black powder. Then suddenly Goex makes their announcement and bp is hard to find in stock.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:10 AM, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Thanks Snakebite Dust for that link. I got some ordered. A while ago I purchased some smokeless powder I saw at a decent price through powdervalleyinc. Bought 5 lbs of Schuetzen since I was already paying a hazmat fee. Ordered 15 lbs from your linked site.

It's funny because with all the primer and powder supply issues this last year I'd recently been thinking how we haven't had that problem with black powder. Then suddenly Goex makes their announcement and bp is hard to find in stock.

I assume that the black powder supplier at the link, unlike online sellers of firearms & ammunition, don't have their web site setup to prevent shipping to addresses sales into jurisdictions that have limits on weights of black powder & smokeless powder that are less than Federal limits.  CA requires a permit to posses more than 1 lb of black powder & 20 lbs. of smokeless.

2020 California Code
Health and Safety Code - HSC
DIVISION 11 - EXPLOSIVES
PART 1 - HIGH EXPLOSIVES
CHAPTER 4 - Permits
Section 12102.

Universal Citation: CA Health & Safety Code § 12102 (2020)

This chapter does not apply to any possession or use of 20 pounds or less of smokeless powder, or one pound or less of black sporting powder, provided that:

(a)  Smokeless powder is intended only for hand loading of small arms ammunition of .75 caliber or less.

(b)  Black sporting powder is intended for loading of small arms or small arms ammunition of .75 caliber or less.

(c)  All such powder is for private use and not for resale, and, in the case of black sporting powder, there shall be no gift, delivery, or other disposition to another person.

(d)  The storage, use and handling of such smokeless and black powder conforms to rules, regulations, or ordinances of authorities having jurisdiction for fire prevention and suppression in the area of such storage, use, and handling of such explosives.

15 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

I assume that the black powder supplier at the link, unlike online sellers of firearms & ammunition, don't have their web site setup to prevent shipping to addresses sales into jurisdictions that have limits on weights of black powder & smokeless powder that are less than Federal limits.  CA requires a permit to posses more than 1 lb of black powder & 20 lbs. of smokeless.

2020 California Code
Health and Safety Code - HSC
DIVISION 11 - EXPLOSIVES
PART 1 - HIGH EXPLOSIVES
CHAPTER 4 - Permits
Section 12102.

Universal Citation: CA Health & Safety Code § 12102 (2020)

This chapter does not apply to any possession or use of 20 pounds or less of smokeless powder, or one pound or less of black sporting powder, provided that:

(a)  Smokeless powder is intended only for hand loading of small arms ammunition of .75 caliber or less.

(b)  Black sporting powder is intended for loading of small arms or small arms ammunition of .75 caliber or less.

(c)  All such powder is for private use and not for resale, and, in the case of black sporting powder, there shall be no gift, delivery, or other disposition to another person.

(d)  The storage, use and handling of such smokeless and black powder conforms to rules, regulations, or ordinances of authorities having jurisdiction for fire prevention and suppression in the area of such storage, use, and handling of such explosives.

Never had any issue getting 25 lbs of BP delivered when living in PRK.

OLG 

Luckily I have about three cases of Goex Left .

I should be good for the rest of my life with Powder Primers and Lead .

Now too only get back out to play  !

On 10/5/2021 at 10:34 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Never had any issue getting 25 lbs of BP delivered when living in PRK.

OLG 

The common carriers must not follow state laws unlike out off state sellers of firearms & ammo.  They all have boiler plate restricting sales into states & cities with restrictions over and above federal law.

2 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

The common carriers must not follow state laws unlike out off state sellers of firearms & ammo.  They all have boiler plate restricting sales into states & cities with restrictions over and above federal law.

2 different deals 

It's legal to ship 25 lbs of BP.

It may not be legal to store it at one location. ;)

OLG 

Archived