SASS Wire Forum

Goex closing down

The Original Lumpy Gritz

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Horrible news, but I suspect the regulatory requirements, and inherent risk of making BP,  make it increasingly difficult to stay in business.  Add to that the fact that real BP is in direct competition with their own substitute BP products, and it seems like an unsurprising business decision.  I just hope someone steps up and buys the business.

I don't shoot BP in competition but love hunting with BP gets you in the woods earlier :-)

Blackpowder has been around since about 900 AD.  It is sad that the Goex facility is closing.  If push comes to shove we can make our own.

Soot Lords will prevail.

I’m betting that with the availability of subs, demand for real BP is below what’s needed for keeping a plant in operation. Not to mention all the regulations required for handling and storage. 

Anecdotally, it seems fewer and fewer of folks in our game shoot real BP and have switched to subs or gasp - smokeless. 

1D2A6BC5-3FBD-4681-9AC5-8CF4AD6F5C74.jpeg.18ecac8e955b99c3844ada82348e6684.jpeg
“The Hodgdon Powder Co. Inc has been honored to have been part of the GOEX Powder legacy….”

So honored, in fact that we are shutting it down…

Due to their fond appreciation of their customers that enjoyed shooting GOEX powder. 

What a load of sh*t!

Here is hoping someone will step up, and buy that part of the business out, and continue to make Goex. 

My flintlocks do not like the substitutes at all. Neither do I.

Looks like I am going to be finding a substitute for Hodgdon products, which I am more than happy to do.

I may not make a dent in their overall profits, but after all...it's my money. 

I will gladly pay a higher price, per pound, for Swiss. 

1 hour ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Horrible news, but I suspect the regulatory requirements, and inherent risk of making BP,  make it increasingly difficult to stay in business.  Add to that the fact that real BP is in direct competition with their own substitute BP products, and it seems like an unsurprising business decision.  I just hope someone steps up and buys the business.

I thought the US Military was their biggest client.........wonder what the US Military is gonna do now.......

I just checked all of the suppliers where I have purchased GOEX in the past and none have any in stock.

Got at least another year's worth loaded.  Got a couple of year's worth of BlackMZ I'm milking along.  Got several pounds of Grafs. Got 20lb of "stump remover", charcoal and sulfur and know how to mix it. What I don't have is the years left to use it up. 

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Can you purchase WANO BP in the USA?

wanoblack_91319e85-3997-400b-b5cf-33e5336386df.thumb.jpg.4edba52bca0a541b944100b48a98afa6.jpg

Hey Buckshot..I can remember when I started Cowboy in '07 Wano was $40 kg [ 2.2 lb ] ..I live approx 25 mile from the factory & I buy direct & now the price is $ 107..if you buy from a retailer it is $ 140- $ 150. They import BP from Germany & it is re labelled & packaged..Lately I have been braking down blasting powder to use & it's pretty good..2 1/2 kg for $ 100..does the job for Cowboy, bit of work to change from the big granules to a finer powder but ya' gotta' do what you have to !!! Not as many shipments into Aus nowadays as they had an explosion at the BP facility overseas & the authorities cracked down pretty hard, there may have been fatalities but not sure, some injuries I'm told There are  2 distributors [ Combat Simulations ] ..Lithgow down your way & Helidon in Queensland.

I'm lucky I purchased a dozen bottles a couple of years back at a half decent price & I still have most of them.

Swiss also comes  in to Aus & goes thru the same distributors  before being  forwarded for sale by  some dealer in Adelaide.

One of the other powder manufacturers will buy the Minden operation.

Primary reason, unless the Federal law is changed, … all black powder supplied to US DOD, ie military … has to be manufactured in the United States

In the meantime,  Swiss and Germany’s Wano will still supply Schuetzen 

Anyway, if your supply is enough, the 2010 lot of Kik and Swiss still are the best powders made though no imports of Kik 

3 hours ago, John Boy said:

One of the other powder manufacturers will buy the Minden operation.

Primary reason, unless the Federal law is changed, … all black powder supplied to US DOD, ie military … has to be manufactured in the United States

In the meantime,  Swiss and Germany’s Wano will still supply Schuetzen 

Anyway, if your supply is enough, the 2010 lot of Kik and Swiss still are the best powders made though no imports of Kik 

Pard, a lot of us pray you are right. I hang on to every encouraging word I can find. 

James Henry … you still have Swiss and Schuetzen … both good brands of black powder

Might add, both brands make their charcoal from Alder buckthorn branches, not yellow Maple as does Goex

16 hours ago, Cemetery said:

I thought the US Military was their biggest client.........wonder what the US Military is gonna do now.......

I'll ask a stupid question, what is the US military using black powder for?

The only thing I thought of was for the powder charge igniter for powder bag charges that the Iowa class battleships used, but they are all out of service.

Primer - A device used to provide a flame for the purpose of setting fire to a propellant charge. Also called an "igniter." Primers are divided into two types, depending upon the type of ammunition used by the gun: 1) Case and 2) Lock. Case primers, as their name implies, are used for guns firing case ammunition. These are small containers of an explosive such as mercury fulminate that are installed into the base of the cartridge case. Lock primers are used for bag guns and are inserted by hand into the firing lock of the gun. Primers are also divided into three classes, depending upon the method of firing: 1) Percussion, 2) Electric and 3) Combination. Percussion primers are fired by the mechanical impact of a firing pin. Electric primers are fired by passing a current through a resistance element surrounded by an initiating mixture. Combination primers may be fired by either of these methods, which allows for a mechanical backup if the electrical supply system to the gun fails

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5831204A/en    

Passing along that Maine Powder House had most of the Goex and Schutzen grades in stock earlier today.  They are limiting purchases to 10 pounds instead of case lot for now.

I agree the plant will be bought out and the product, either under the Goex name or something new will return.  Perhaps they will switch over to alder as well, hint hint.

Archived