SASS Wire Forum

Non-gun gear that tells stories…

Charlie Harley, #14153

Most of us in this Saloon have a certain gun or two that tells stories. They came from grandparents or parents, went on special hunts, or just have good memories connected.

I was pondering the same thoughts about a certain backpack this weekend. I bought it when my wife and I were first married. Second marriage for both, we were an instant family of six but with barely two nickels to rub together.  Instead of going out to eat we went on a lot of picnics in the parks around Cincinnati. This backpack could carry all the fixin‘s for our outings. Blanket, drinks, food, snacks, bug spray, everything.

As the kids grew older they used it for their first backpacking trips with me. I also spent many happy single nights using just what the pack could carry. 

This past weekend the pack went full circle. It carried another picnic for six into the Smoky Mountains. But this time the six were me,, my wife, our son, his wife, and two granddaughters.  Much for which to be grateful. 

Anyone else have stories about their gear?

P.S.  I’m curious if anyone can discern one of the other great memories this pack gave me. It’s in the pictures. 

D44F87FE-0B15-4E14-BE44-D68C9164E2E4.jpeg

8EFEA59A-0C09-46E7-A205-4D6D6976C8AD.jpeg

Nope, I can't tell. That could be a trekking  pole in the background in the first picture, along with some other things, but I can't say for sure.

As for me, I could think of a number of things non-firearms related that have memories attached. Given your pack, the first thing that came to mind is the L.L. Bean tent my in-laws bought for my wife and I for Christmas - before they were my in-laws. In the picture below is the tent maybe ten years ago. The last time I had it out was three years ago, and it was still good. Maybe I'll set it up for a night in the backyard here in a weekend or two. Or maybe try to get down to John Bryan State Park with it. Oh, and there's also another treasured item with many memories attached in the picture.

IMG_0614.JPG

I had a leather backpack that my wife bought me in 1991 at Wilson's Leather in a local mall. I used it on my motorcycles. I used it hiking, fishing,  hunting, desert shooting trips, traveling. I used it for everything I might need a backpack for.  It even flew cross country numerous times. Every time it fell apart or got damaged I repaired it.

About 5 years ago I gave it to my Grandson. He said it was "retro cool". He uses it now for  all sorts of things. I wish I had a photo of it to display here. 

2 hours ago, Grass Range said:

You hike into the mountains in flip flops?

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Ain't Flip-Flops.  Good high quality Sandals.  Big difference.  Although I vote for the Paper Plates :rolleyes:

Yes, they are Teva water sandals.  Comfortable and tough enough for hiking.  In fact, they were also part of my great adventure on the Camino de Santiago.  250 miles of hiking across northern Spain on a pilgrimage that’s been performed for a 1000+ years.  The blue and yellow patch is what the waymarkers look like.

4 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Yes, they are Teva water sandals.  Comfortable and tough enough for hiking.  In fact, they were also part of my great adventure on the Camino de Santiago.  250 miles of hiking across northern Spain on a pilgrimage that’s been performed for a 1000+ years.  The blue and yellow patch is what the waymarkers look like.

You are tough

i have a treasured duluth pack that was given to me by a dear friend on our first boundary waters trip back in the late 80s , it also went with us when we took our sons in the 90s , i used it when i took my daughter with her friends and their fathers also in the 90s , im looking at another but have not figured it all out yet , 

Archived