SASS Wire Forum

A Question For Gunners Mates

Subdeacon Joe

As I was sitting at work thread gauging 82 parts with 22 8-32 holes (ok, 11 but tapped from each side), I got to thinking:

What are the thread dimensions of the breach of a 16 inch,50 caliber Mark 7 gun?

Major OD, 

Minor OD

Pitch Diameter

Threads per Inch

And, what size thread wires would you use?

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

As I was sitting at work thread gauging 82 parts with 22 8-32 holes (ok, 11 but tapped from each side), I got to thinking:

What are the thread dimensions of the breach of a 16 inch,50 caliber Mark 7 gun?

Major OD, 

Minor OD

Pitch Diameter

Threads per Inch

And, what size thread wires would you use?

No idea myself, but are you planning on building one?  I don't think the Navy is using any of them anymore.

Here’s something to contemplate.  Everything that screws into a projectile in an upward direction, I.e. from base to nose, has left hand threads.

as regards the weapons I worked on that would have been base plugs and time delay fuses.

Here's some information from a manual from the 24th annual Technical Symposium of 1987, Department of the Navy.

Table 111-2. 16'/50 Gun Barrel Data.

on the BB-61

Component Gun

Rear cylinder Slide cylinder Muzzle
Liner at muzzle Liner at rear

Slide cylinder Bore

Powder chamber

Rifling

Dimensions Length 816 inches

Weight 239,156 lbs (with screw box liner) 292,000 lbs (with recoiling parts)

Outside diameter 49 inches Outside diameter 23 inches Outside diameter 23.5 inches Outside diameter 18.46 inches Outside diameter 22.10 inches

Length 337 inches

Diameter 16.00 inches Length 800.00 inches

Length 105.82 inches Volume 27,000 cubic inches

Choke diameter 17.50 inches

Bore diameter

18.35 inches

Length 682.46 inches Plating length 690 inches

Groove depth 0.15 inches Number of grooves 96

Uniform right-hand twist

21 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

No idea myself, but are you planning on building one?  I don't think the Navy is using any of them anymore.

No.  Just one of those random thoughts.  Using GO-NOGO thread gauges is somewhat mindless so my mind gets to wander.  Today it went to REALLY BIG THREADS.

Another question for Machinist Mates is what are the thread dimensions on the screw shaftson an Iowa Class BB?  Do they even use a nut to hold the screw on?

15 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Here's some information from a manual from the 24th annual Technical Symposium of 1987, Department of the Navy.

Table 111-2. 16'/50 Gun Barrel Data.

on the BB-61

Component Gun

Rear cylinder Slide cylinder Muzzle
Liner at muzzle Liner at rear

Slide cylinder Bore

Powder chamber

Rifling

Dimensions Length 816 inches

Weight 239,156 lbs (with screw box liner) 292,000 lbs (with recoiling parts)

Outside diameter 49 inches Outside diameter 23 inches Outside diameter 23.5 inches Outside diameter 18.46 inches Outside diameter 22.10 inches

Length 337 inches

Diameter 16.00 inches Length 800.00 inches

Length 105.82 inches Volume 27,000 cubic inches

Choke diameter 17.50 inches

Bore diameter

18.35 inches

Length 682.46 inches Plating length 690 inches

Groove depth 0.15 inches Number of grooves 96

Uniform right-hand twist

Almost everything except the dimensions of the threads for the breach block.

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

No.  Just one of those random thoughts.  Using GO-NOGO thread gauges is somewhat mindless so my mind gets to wander.  Today it went to REALLY BIG THREADS.

Another question for Machinist Mates is what are the thread dimensions on the screw shaftson an Iowa Class BB?  Do they even use a nut to hold the screw on?

Being as your a machinist think about the tooling required to cut those threads. 

4 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

....... nah, I get seasick just looking at a glass of water ....... :blush:

That sir, is two of us...No boats or oceans for me....And I am not a gunners mate either...Air Force, we drop ours...And then get the he$$ out of the area....

Texas Lizard

4 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

That sir, is two of us...No boats or oceans for me....And I am not a gunners mate either...Air Force, we drop ours...And then get the he$$ out of the area....

Texas Lizard

“Boats”? Must be confusing the Coast Guard and the Navy… :lol:

That’s okay. Thin air will do that to ya over time. ;)

17 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Being as your a machinist think about the tooling required to cut those threads. 

I have, and do.  Boggles the mind.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_16-50_mk7.php

https://www.oocities.org/fort_tilden/16ingun.html

Having been a 13B4N, Field Artillery Gunner, 8” howitzers (Army), I’ll guess that that kind of information is not wasted on enlisted folks (even in the Navy) because the threads of the breach are not field reparable. If it’s damaged you need to send it to a higher echelon maintenance depot.

The former Ordnance Captain might confirm that. Forty?

7 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Aren't boats the things that sink surface ships?

:rolleyes:

Like I said “thin air”. Submariners call them boats too. But we all know they ain’t wrapped real tight so we let them have their way. ;)

When I was aboard ship I helped change out a barrel on a 5” 54 gun. What a betchathoughtIwasgoingtocuss! 
I seem to recall, and I may be wrong, I worked on Missile launchers, that the 5” was the biggest gun that the barrel could be changed out on without the aid of a Destroyer Tender or in port. 
I was there as grunt work. It took a bunch of us to get the barrel up and aligned. I wasn’t part of the process for attaching the barrel. Just lifting. 

Archived