SASS Wire Forum

Shooting My Original Winchester 1887

Rube Burrows

Figured I would share this here as it is not specifically SASS related. 

I recently purchased an original 1887 Winchester in 12g. This is the first shotgun that I have ever decided to make black powder rounds for. I loaded up some brass shells and took it to the range and shot it for the first time. It was a fun gun to shoot and one I can see myself enjoying a lot of in the future. 

Here is a video of me shooting the gun for the first time. Feel free to check it out as well as the others on the channel. 

I am by no means one of the more charismatic people on YouTube but do enjoy making the videos when I get new guns and such. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Wow! “Beautiful condition” is right. Very nice! 

Thanks. I am very pleased with its condition and the way it shoots. Thanks for watching. 

43 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

My 1887 is not so beautiful.   Made in 1887.  Its last use was a wall hanger in a private bar. 

I made several other videos showing repairs.  

Thanks. I had watched your videos on YouTube the other day. I had been watching all the 87 videos on there. 

42 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Pretty dang cool Rube

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I've got a photo of me shooting mine (EOT 2006). We have several. :wub: them. None of them are as purdy as yours.

You may find my manner of shooting odd. I had wrist surgery and that was the only way I could shoot a SG.

1105510904_AMWith87atEOT2006.thumb.jpg.add1f2a4aea5aaa8e9a5ccd22b880b1e.jpg

That's a great photo. What type of shells are you shooting through yours? The plastic shells melting with the black powder much? 

17 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I have 4 Chinese clones. Been shooting an 87 as my main match SG for several years.

Someday I’ll get an original in 10 gauge. 

I had one made by Norinco years ago that had the drop two mod but I traded it off or sold it for some reason. Don't even remember now. I have always liked the 1887 shotguns just because I think the guns are cool looking. I am happy to finally have an original. 

1 hour ago, Rube Burrows said:

That's a great photo. What type of shells are you shooting through yours? The plastic shells melting with the black powder much? 

The photo was taken by Black Jack McGinnis. He is the usual photographer for EOT and Convention, when they had one.

Those are extremely light smokeless loads in Winchester shells.

I normally shoot BP in it with Silver Remington shells.

19 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

The photo was taken by Black Jack McGinnis. He is the usual photographer for EOT and Convention, when they had one.

Those are extremely light smokeless loads in Winchester shells.

I normally shoot BP in it with Silver Remington shells.

Thanks for the info. I thought about using light smokeless loads in it but seen enough online that made me pause that idea for now. This design seems strong enough to handle the very light smokeless loads but what do I know. 

9 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Smoking up the clubs bi-monthly all SG stage.

Shooting 35 grains by weight of 3F APP

Lots of fun is what I am seeing. 

14 hours ago, Rube Burrows said:

Thanks for the info. I thought about using light smokeless loads in it but seen enough online that made me pause that idea for now. This design seems strong enough to handle the very light smokeless loads but what do I know. 

I have my Grandfathers 87 10ga. My father told me by the end, and I don't know what he meant by "the end" but grandpa died in 1959, Grandpa could only find high brass smokeless goose loads. He used them for years to hunt rabbits, partridge, and pheasants , said " you got to let them get out a ways before you shoot".

On 9/27/2021 at 10:26 AM, Rube Burrows said:

Figured I would share this here as it is not specifically SASS related. 

I recently purchased an original 1887 Winchester in 12g. This is the first shotgun that I have ever decided to make black powder rounds for. I loaded up some brass shells and took it to the range and shot it for the first time. It was a fun gun to shoot and one I can see myself enjoying a lot of in the future. 

Here is a video of me shooting the gun for the first time. Feel free to check it out as well as the others on the channel. 

I am by no means one of the more charismatic people on YouTube but do enjoy making the videos when I get new guns and such. 

Great post, Pard. Thank you so much, enjoyed your video. I think I am now the best friend you never had!!! Ha. 

On 9/27/2021 at 2:12 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I've got a photo of me shooting mine (EOT 2006). We have several. :wub: them. None of them are as purdy as yours.

You may find my manner of shooting odd. I had wrist surgery and that was the only way I could shoot a SG.

1105510904_AMWith87atEOT2006.thumb.jpg.add1f2a4aea5aaa8e9a5ccd22b880b1e.jpg

You, and your 1887, are simply awesome. You are a gift. 

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Maybe you'd enjoy watching Mark Novak restore a 1887.  An amazing transformation. 

I have watched his video twice. Excellent work. 

3 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Great post, Pard. Thank you so much, enjoyed your video. I think I am now the best friend you never had!!! Ha. 

Thanks best bud. Ha. 

Archived