SASS Wire Forum

Open Range

Buckshot Bear

The "reload" was properly executed...for Hollyweird, not for real life. 

Anyone that has, and uses, single action Colt style revolvers, usually can pick up on this, especially on the big screen. 

This is not the only movie, or t.v. western, that has done this. Just one more in a long line of westerns. 

I just noticed it, is all. I am not having a seizure over it. I could not care less. Hollyweird is seldom accurate in their details of real life, and I do not expect them to be. If Hollyweird chooses to not be as authentic as what we do in the real world, that is fine with me. 

I note it, shake my head, and move on. The quality of the story, is what counts the most. Add authentic details is just the icing on the cake.

Anyway not so much a gripe, as simply an observation, and wondering why they chose to do it that way.

I think many of us, that study the real old west, use single action revolvers, and lever action rifles, study old photographs of the people, and clothes, and saddles, chaps, and hats, of the real old west, usually do watch a western with a more or less critical eye for authenticity, and accuracy. Nothing wrong with critiquing a movie, we all do it, if we are being honest. Nit-picky?? Perhaps some may think so...but they can make a movie more or less authentic, if they want to, depending on what they can and will do, and how aware of history they are.

Westerns are better now, than they used to be. At least they use more of the '73 style lever actions, instead of the '92 style lever actions  Even Boss used an 1875 Remington, instead of a Colt. I see more shotgun chaps now, and more Slick or 'A' fork saddles. I see a top break S & W, every now and then too. 

Years ago, in the made for t.v. mini-series, Centennial, one of the cowboys carried a LeMat!!! 

They are making progress, albeit, slowly.   

18 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Don’t forget Lonesome Dove. 

not similar character, but was in Lawman, Joe Kidd , and Geronimo.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Has there ever been a movie where somebody reloaded a Single Action the right way? I always see actors struggling and shaking them like Costner did. No use of the ejector rod. You'd think with all the western movies Costner did he'd know how to load a SAA by now.

Watch Young Riders. Reasonably good cap-and-ball action. 

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Has there ever been a movie where somebody reloaded a Single Action the right way? I always see actors struggling and shaking them like Costner did. No use of the ejector rod. You'd think with all the western movies Costner did he'd know how to load a SAA by now.

Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen in Appaloosa. Ed Harris said he always includes a reload in his movies to prove he knows how.

Love it!! I've seen it so many times....It's my gun cleaning movie. I've got it timed that I have my hammered double on the table when he shoots the Varmint sign in the Saloon. Finish cleaning the 4 guns right as the Gun fight starts. 

I have observed many a shooter at the unload table shake their revolver to unload the spent cases instead of using the ejector rod.  ;)

17 hours ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen in Appaloosa. Ed Harris said he always includes a reload in his movies to prove he knows how.

I like to see a reload or two in movies just to show that the guns are being reloaded along the way as needed. But I don't need to see reloads every time  you think they'd  need one.  

Tom Selleck has mentioned that they try to get a lot of things in his movies look historically correct, guns, clothes, saddles but that the one item they fudged on the most was the hats. The later designs just look better. 

35 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I like to see a reload or two in movies just to show that the guns are being reloaded along the way as needed. But I don't need to see reloads every time  you think they'd  need one.  

Tom Selleck has mentioned that they try to get a lot of things in his movies look historically correct, guns, clothes, saddles but that the one item they fudged on the most was the hats. The later designs just look better. 

The way I understood it was that he includes just 1 reload for the whole movie, not every time he shoots.

44 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

If you really want to be driven up the wall watch Bruce Willis in Last Man Standing sometime. Not only does he shoot a pair of 30-shot 1911s but he somehow manages to stash 20 spare mags on his person.

1 hour ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

The way I understood it was that he includes just 1 reload for the whole movie, not every time he shoots.

I was speaking more about movies in general.

In Last Man Standing they did show Willis at a table loading dozens of magazines. But actually carrying them would be  hard. It was still a fun movie.

1 hour ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

We got to see him reload the Schofield in "Crossfire Trail", as well as loading the '76. Don't forget Costner reloading after shooting the steps in "Silverado". 

I notice that in many of the TV westerns, there is no need to reload as a lot of them are empty to begin with. Gun smoke and Larado in particular.

On 9/26/2021 at 9:07 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Agree.  A masterpiece.  I was lucky to see it the first time on the big screen.  Breathtaking!

Not this movie but watching a different old western. guy and girl on a covered wagon. Him driving and setting on the left side of the seat with her on the right. How silly is that.

They made a TV show, based on the movie Shane. David Carradine.

But unlike Alan Ladd, he did not carry a 7½" pistol. He carried a 3" storekeeper's model. No ejector rod. I saw a video clip of him in the middle of a gunfight having to reload. Pointed the muzzle at the sky and shook the gun so the empties would fall out.

I remember thinking that that was a damn stupid gun choice for a professional gunman to make.

On 9/28/2021 at 9:42 PM, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

I have observed many a shooter at the unload table shake their revolver to unload the spent cases instead of using the ejector rod.  ;)

Not BP shooters. :lol:

On 9/28/2021 at 9:42 PM, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Me , too , and have watched most of them tap the butt of their sixgun on the table if the empty didn't fall right out.

Rex :D

Archived