SASS Wire Forum

Open Range

Buckshot Bear

When Open Range came out, a bunch of us from our SASS club went to see it dressed full cowboy and cowgirl (no guns).

After the movie, some kids came up to us and asked if we were real cowboys.

Of course we said "Yes".:D

Someone needs to show Kevin how to use the ejector rod on his Colt single action. Instead of holding the revolver, and shaking it, he could unload it lots faster using the ejector rod. Besides, in real life, it may not work very well holding the revolver, and shaking the empties out, since the empties swell against the cylinder walls, and may not just fall out when the cylinder is held upside down, as we all know. I have, at times, had to nearly pound the empty cartridge out of the cylinder, when it got stuck, after firing. Yes, one can hone the inside of the cylinder. I am sure the cowboys had the tools to do that, on the trail...:blink:  Of course they are using blanks, and those may fall out like they were coated with snot, but in for a penny, in for a pound. If they want to be authentic, then be authentic. If the actors, and directors, knew hog jowls, from horse hockey, about firearms, perhaps they should show it being done the right way.

No big deal, but some things seem to really stand out in the movies, on the big screen. 

And now the critique will continue and at some point someone will get their feelings hurt or blood pressure will be enhanced. 

‘Tis the way of things here…

Great movie! I’ve seen it many times. Great lines in that movie for cowboy shoots!

You the one that killed our friend?:ph34r:

I appreciated the movie continuation after the gunfight.  Charlie and Sue reaching an agreement for the rest of their lives.  Boss offering Charlie a partnership in the bar.  Sue’s reaction to Charlie’s comment about doing what he tells her to do.

It was a few moments of decompression after the violence of the gunfight.  Welcome and refreshingly optimiistic.  They are folks I would invite to supper.

2 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I appreciated the movie continuation after the gunfight.  Charlie and Sue reaching an agreement for the rest of their lives.  Boss offering Charlie a partnership in the bar.  Sue’s reaction to Charlie’s comment about doing what he tells her to do.

It was a few moments of decompression after the violence of the gunfight.  Welcome and refreshingly optimiistic.  They are folks I would invite to supper.

Just terrific lines weren't they.

22 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Someone needs to show Kevin how to use the ejector rod on his Colt single action. Instead of holding the revolver, and shaking it, he could unload it lots faster using the ejector rod. Besides, in real life, it may not work very well holding the revolver, and shaking the empties out, since the empties swell against the cylinder walls, and may not just fall out when the cylinder is held upside down, as we all know. I have, at times, had to nearly pound the empty cartridge out of the cylinder, when it got stuck, after firing. Yes, one can hone the inside of the cylinder. I am sure the cowboys had the tools to do that, on the trail...:blink:  Of course they are using blanks, and those may fall out like they were coated with snot, but in for a penny, in for a pound. If they want to be authentic, then be authentic. If the actors, and directors, knew hog jowls, from horse hockey, about firearms, perhaps they should show it being done the right way.

No big deal, but some things seem to really stand out in the movies, on the big screen. 

Yeah that would have made for an exciting movie. Watching the star of the show get killed because his shells got stuck in his six gun, sheeeesh.

22 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

If memory serves, the movie makes reference to his past life and gunwork.  Having his guns worked is believable.

21 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Just curious...what movie(s) would you suggest as “accurate”?

"They call me Trinity"

&

"Trinity is still me name"

........... about as accurate as they come .......   ;)

10 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

"Is it okay if I kiss you Sue?"

It's one of my favorites. Yeah, I counted the shots in the gunfight and it got ridiculous. But then, it is highly entertaining if you suspend belief here and there. Costner wasn't very good with his rifle, but then shoots the bad guy's toe/foot. 

I enjoyed Duvall blasting the guy outside the building and he bounces off an opposing building. Whoo-hoo!

One of my favorite scenes is when the townsfolk are chasing a bad guy until he falls down and then gets shot with a shotgun. Hurray! 

Many more memorable scenes in this and it gets watched on a regular basis.

For those into useless trivia, when Duvall is standing in the street facing the bad guys just before the gunfight, There is a mountain directly behind him.  Out of view between Duvall and the mountain is the Trans Canada Highway that is between Calgary and Banff.  The opening scene to the movie was filmed just a couple of miles from the area that the Unforgiven, Monte Walsh and Crossfire Trail  was filmed.

29 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

In the gunfight scene Costner gets off at least 15 rounds from his 6 shooter???????? I just watched it and tried to count them.

I thought it was 10 but I know what you’re saying!

On 9/27/2021 at 5:58 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Great movie! I’ve seen it many times. Great lines in that movie for cowboy shoots!

You the one that killed our friend?:ph34r:

Men are gonna get killed here today, Sue. And I'm gonna kill them. You understand that?

6 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

We assume it was a six-shooter, but in fact it was just a high-capacity cylinder. They never were too common back then, because the average guy couldn't afford much ammo. But the movie proves that they existed.

And we also know that Hollywood is a stickler for accuracy. 

Watched it again last night. Def. one of my favorites. 

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

In the gunfight scene Costner gets off at least 15 rounds from his 6 shooter???????? I just watched it and tried to count them.

I just always took it as it showing the same shots but from different angles rather than 15 actual rounds. 

Has there ever been a movie where somebody reloaded a Single Action the right way? I always see actors struggling and shaking them like Costner did. No use of the ejector rod. You'd think with all the western movies Costner did he'd know how to load a SAA by now.

Aside from the gun gripes though it was a good movie. Robert Duvall was also in another western movie where he plays a similar character, Broken Trail along with Thomas Hayden Church. I often get these two movies confused.

In the “making of” DVD that accompanies the movie, Costner said that he put another revolver in his belt in the in the small of his back, but that editing cut out the scene where he stashed the extra gun, and when he drew it.  He recognized the confusion it was going to cause when he saw the final cut, and regretted the editing error.  

Archived