SASS Wire Forum

State of the Gun Business

Desert Pete SASS #42168

I went to the local Sportsman’s Warehouse looking for .357 magnum ammunition.  Nothing!!  The only handgun ammo was 40 S&W in really uncommon configurations.

However, the gun counter was swamped!  There were four employees working the gun counter and they couldn’t keep up.  Lots of guns going out the door.

What does one do with a gun and no ammo?

51 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The local Sportsman's keeps ammo behind the counter and when you buy a gun they sell you a box.

To buy a box of ammo you need to buy a gun.  I am good with that.   My accountant (aka spouse),  may not agree.  

I've been able to keep up the supply of revolver ammo, .45 Colt, .44 spl., 38 spl through the shortage with regular visits to the stores, seeing what turns up. .44 mag and .357 mag has been very scarce, but I've found some.

Lately, the shelves have had lots of most rifle calibers, and 9mm, but revolver ammo still thin, but getting better. I got .44 mag and .38 spl at Bass at good prices last week, but that was all they had, revolver-wise.

People buying lots of guns is a good thing.  Ammunition shortages will be corrected by supply and demand reasonably soon.

Several panics ago I learned to buy stuff when I could, not when I needed to.  New (and old) gun owners will learn this eventually.  

One of the benefits of firearm ownership is that it’s educational!!

I figure we will be looking at 2022, or 2023, or later, before we can see some really noticeable improvements. 

In this certain "climate", it may get worse before it gets better. We do have a say, every few years, but that takes effort/concern/involvement. 

I gave my daughter-in-law the only 9mm I had. Good riddance. That seems to be the predominate ammo on the shelves, around here.  

Haven't seen many of the calibers I shoot now, on the shelves. Perhaps the passing of time will correct that. 

Until things return to some sense of sanity...I will just keep using my flintlocks...and...I will wait out the drought.

State of the Gun Business. Humm? I don't know what is going to become of the gun business here in California. Very few guns of any kind are available. I get emails about gun deals, and they always exclude California. Here’s what happened last week:

We have a lady in our club that shoots a 38 rifle and 32 H&R pistols. She wanted to stop loading for two calibers, so ask me if she could swap her 32’s for 38’s. I told her that shouldn’t be any problem at all. So I posted here on the wire and had a couple of bite right away. We proceeded with the preliminary of exchanging photos and worked the agreement. She said yes, lets do it. Next I had to find a FFL to handle the deal. Every place I called was just crazy with their fee’s. One place wanted a flat $150 per gun he had to handle. That was going to be $600 for her to do the swap! After a full day of calling around, the best I could come up with was a shop that would do it for a minimum of $369.19… with a possible increase depending upon the shipping cost of her two guns, and contingent on not having to do more than one DROS and background. She would also after arrival have to wait the 10 days for the first gun, and then wait an additional 30 days for the second gun. I was told that was because they were being shipped from a dealer on the other. Well, she said forget it. I felt like crap after working the deal with the guy on the other end. So next, we checked into an outright purchase of a pair of NRV… Nothing available locally, and no one wanted to order any because they can’t get them. Found some on the internet, but had the same problems of outrageous fees to get someone to receive them here in our area.  Sorry for the rant, but I’m embarrassed by having to tell the guy on the other end that the deal fell through.   

Not so bad here, lots of guns showing up at gunshops. ammo is coming around but  it sells very quickly. I only reload .38's and shotgun so no problem there for CAS.

I buy 9mm and I'm going to start reloading .45 acp again. I've been giving a workout to all my .22's which I have a ton of ammo for!

This too shall pass.........................I hope!<_<

16 hours ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Local shops here have ammo

Correct.

I've seen ammo be available in the SW OH area along with arms of all type as well.  Local stores and big box stores are fairly well stocked and priced.  Items are sold at a premium price at the local gunshows.

The only things that have been scarce is that the milsurp market is DEAD.  Cowboy guns are around if you look, as well as cowboy ammo.  I've shockingly been successful at finding 32H&R for SASS.  Also reloading components are hard to find.  Powder is starting to make it to shelves, but primers, brass, and bullets are still at a premium. 

3 hours ago, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

Correct.

I've seen ammo be available in the SW OH area along with arms of all type as well.  Local stores and big box stores are fairly well stocked and priced.  Items are sold at a premium price at the local gunshows.

The only things that have been scarce is that the milsurp market is DEAD.  Cowboy guns are around if you look, as well as cowboy ammo.  I've shockingly been successful at finding 32H&R for SASS.  Also reloading components are hard to find.  Powder is starting to make it to shelves, but primers, brass, and bullets are still at a premium. 

Even the local shop that sells powder has a bunch, and a good selection(still no primers)..but they priced me out of it...49.99 for a jug of rl-7....nope.

21 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The local Sportsman's keeps ammo behind the counter and when you buy a gun they sell you a box.

Yep, or give you a box. I was buying a 1911 in 10mm a couple months ago and the girl could not find any 10mm so she was going to give me 2 boxes of 9mm if I had use of it. Having a 9mm I told her I would take that and find some 10mm somewhere else (like in my ammo locker, haha). I was all set to take the two boxes of 9mm but she actually found a box of 10mm and gave that to me instead. 

On 9/27/2021 at 8:16 AM, Snakebite said:

State of the Gun Business. Humm? I don't know what is going to become of the gun business here in California. Very few guns of any kind are available. I get emails about gun deals, and they always exclude California. Here’s what happened last week:

We have a lady in our club that shoots a 38 rifle and 32 H&R pistols. She wanted to stop loading for two calibers, so ask me if she could swap her 32’s for 38’s. I told her that shouldn’t be any problem at all. So I posted here on the wire and had a couple of bite right away. We proceeded with the preliminary of exchanging photos and worked the agreement. She said yes, lets do it. Next I had to find a FFL to handle the deal. Every place I called was just crazy with their fee’s. One place wanted a flat $150 per gun he had to handle. That was going to be $600 for her to do the swap! After a full day of calling around, the best I could come up with was a shop that would do it for a minimum of $369.19… with a possible increase depending upon the shipping cost of her two guns, and contingent on not having to do more than one DROS and background. She would also after arrival have to wait the 10 days for the first gun, and then wait an additional 30 days for the second gun. I was told that was because they were being shipped from a dealer on the other. Well, she said forget it. I felt like crap after working the deal with the guy on the other end. So next, we checked into an outright purchase of a pair of NRV… Nothing available locally, and no one wanted to order any because they can’t get them. Found some on the internet, but had the same problems of outrageous fees to get someone to receive them here in our area.  Sorry for the rant, but I’m embarrassed by having to tell the guy on the other end that the deal fell through.   

Sounds like a cheap vacation to a gun friendly state and a FTF  purchase would be easier

Archived