SASS Wire Forum

Low Pressure 12 Gauge Load

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

For anyone out there who reloads 12 gauge.  

My own 12 gauge loading is one using Red Dot that my Dad developed for trap shooting.   It has served me well.  But sometimes I wonder if it's "too much" for CAS use.

So, I am gonna just ask in general terms, who can recommend a low pressure 12 gauge load?   I use slightly over 1 oz. loads.  I don't know if Dad was trying for 1-1/8 or 1, but when I weighed 1.02 ounces.  So I that's closer to 1 than is worth worrying about.

Any powder.   1 ounce load of shot.   Low pressure loading.   Want low pressure for use in a couple of old shotguns that are okay for smokeless, but I still wanna be nice to them.

I load AAs

Suggestions?

There's been a couple threads but I'll just repeat mine:

Win AA or Rem STS hulls

Winchester primer

Claybuster CB0178-12 (gray) wads

7/8 oz shot

14.4 gr Clays (#26 MEC bushing)

Scanning Alliant's online reloading data I found that either American Select or Green Dot could be loaded to ~7,000 psi with a few different wads.  Consider also APP, a BP sub.  It's non-corrosive and produces mild loads, but would not be welcome on some trap ranges.

I don’t know the charge weight for sure because I’m out of Red Dot and can’t weigh it. I was using a 27 bushing in a MEC reloader with 7/8 oz shot and it seemed lighter than Winchester Low Noise Low Recoil.

Randy

5 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

For anyone out there who reloads 12 gauge.  

My own 12 gauge loading is one using Red Dot that my Dad developed for trap shooting.   It has served me well.  But sometimes I wonder if it's "too much" for CAS use.

So, I am gonna just ask in general terms, who can recommend a low pressure 12 gauge load?   I use slightly over 1 oz. loads.  I don't know if Dad was trying for 1-1/8 or 1, but when I weighed 1.02 ounces.  So I that's closer to 1 than is worth worrying about.

Any powder.   1 ounce load of shot.   Low pressure loading.   Want low pressure for use in a couple of old shotguns that are okay for smokeless, but I still wanna be nice to them.

I load AAs

Suggestions?

You might notice most folks are use 7/8 oz shot. That helps considerably

Go black and never go back!  :lol:

2.5 CC Lee dipper (about 38 grains) of whatever blackpowder (2FG or 3FG, NOT 4FG) or substitute you got; white Claybuster plastic wad, 1 oz + or - to get a good tight crimp. Tweak the volume to make it work for your hulls and gun.

NO felt recoil.  Knockdowns fall over.

Yes you have to clean your shotgun’s barrels after shooting.  So what.

5 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

There's been a couple threads but I'll just repeat mine:

Win AA or Rem STS hulls

Winchester primer

7/8 oz shot

14.4 gr Clays (#26 MEC bushing)

This is almost exactly what I was told by a member I know. I used 1oz instead of 7/8ths as I only had Claybuster CB1118-12 WAA12 and not the Claybuster CB0178-12 WAA12L wads.

WAA12 wads

1 oz shot

14.5 gr Clays

I just started loading my 12ga cowboy loads and I am happy with them - the shoot fine and shuck out 

Win AA HS hulls

whatever primer (now 50 years old federal)

14 gr of Clays (#26 on Mec 650N)

7/8 oz 7.5 shot

Gray claybusters/WAA12L

AA Hulls

15g Clean Shot Powder

1oz #8

Clean Shot power from Scarlet Darling.....Very clean!

This load is near identical to the Winchester 980fps cowboy loads, but with a bit more shot......Sometimes you need that lucky BB!

On 9/26/2021 at 8:41 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I don’t know the charge weight for sure because I’m out of Red Dot and can’t weigh it. I was using a 27 bushing in a MEC reloader with 7/8 oz shot and it seemed lighter than Winchester Low Noise Low Recoil.

Randy

Yep, this is a good load for Red Dot. Mec #26 = 14gr.  Mec #27 = 15gr  that and a gray wad with 7/8oz shot. I use Red Dot for all my smokeless stuff 38/357, 44/40, 45Colt, 45acp and 12ga. Good Luck:)

Archived