SASS Wire Forum

Do you tell them?

Alpo

If you are old, and qualify for the senior discount, do you tell them that you are old?

For the last 3 weeks, I have gone to Golden Corral for the breakfast buffet on the weekend. And I noticed, when they gave me the ticket, that it always said SENIOR.

Today it was a different person at the cash register, and when she came up with a price I said, while pointing at the register, "no, 9.17". She asked, "senior?" I replied, "I'm sorry, I thought that was obvious to everybody".

So do you ask for the senior discount, or do you depend on the way you look for them to give it to you anyway?

Every wednesday at our local Giant Eagle supermarket they offer 5% discount but you have to ask. Of course most of the time the cashiers just pull out their little calculator and take the 5% off without asking me! I always say "Don't you want to see my ID" :lol:

One of my most startling memories is of buying tickets for a movie, and the young lady behind the glass asked me if I'd like my Senior Discount.

"What??" I asked, incredulously.

"Well, Mister, if you're fifty, you get your senior discount!" she replied with a smile.

Honestly, I couldn't tell if I felt pleased or insulted.  

But more shocking is the sudden realization that this occurred twenty years ago!  :o

Even worse... I seldom have to ask anymore.  It just happens.  :wacko:

I think my daughter will probably have that problem. She told me once that one of the reasons she liked to go to dinner with me, was that they didn't card her. She was 29 at the time.

She's 30 in this picture.1932556403_Wetwo.jpg.09bbac1df2ecd677290f50a1e2ba04b1.jpg

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

I think my daughter will probably have that problem. She told me once that one of the reasons she liked to go to dinner with me, was that they didn't card her. She was 29 at the time.

She's 30 in this picture.1932556403_Wetwo.jpg.09bbac1df2ecd677290f50a1e2ba04b1.jpg

Oh I didn't see your daughter at first as I was focused on the gratuitous display of firearms! :blush:

The discount is usually so little it is not worth worrying about.  If the purchase price is more than two or three hundred then I will ask and also ask about a veteran's discount.

52 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Oh I didn't see your daughter at first as I was focused on the gratuitous display of firearms! :blush:

That's not a gratuitous display. From that angle you can barely see them.

THIS is the gratuitous display.

Boardgeschmorg.jpg.9fe487f93e921de68d4c1d0a696afba3.jpg

Her boyfriend had never shot a gun before, so I brought along a couple, so he could see what it was like.

13 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The discount is usually so little it is not worth worrying about.  If the purchase price is more than two or three hundred then I will ask and also ask about a veteran's discount.

Every little bit helps! I bought groceries that totaled $45.00 so I got $2.25 off, why not?? I went out and bought a small pistol primer!!:P

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

That's not a gratuitous display. From that angle you can barely see them.

THIS is the gratuitous display.

Boardgeschmorg.jpg.9fe487f93e921de68d4c1d0a696afba3.jpg

Her boyfriend had never shot a gun before, so I brought along a couple, so he could see what it was like.

Nice collection. Is that a original MP or a replica? If it's a replica, what make and is it reliable? I've only seen one replica in the flesh. Price wasn't bad which made me wonder about the reliability and durability of the firearm. 

As to the original question, I don't ask if the price is low like a cup of coffee or soft drink. Larger items, say over $10, then I will.

Sawmill Mary started finding gray hairs in her teens. In her 20s she had a lot of gray.  By thirty she was nearly "platinum blond".  It would annoy her when women of her mother's age talk to her like she had the same historic experience,  "You remember when we had ration stamps in WWII?".  She started getting senior discounts in her 40s. 

I remember the first time I got an senior discount and did not ask for it. Trumatic

Since then I have ask for the discount.

I ask for, "Senior discount, VA discount, nice guy discount and I will not cause trouble discount."

One of those usually works.

3 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

I remember the first time I got an senior discount and did not ask for it. Trumatic

I ask for, "Senior discount, VA discount, nice guy discount and I will not cause trouble discount."

Sr discount + veteran discount = I will not cause trouble. They only want to give one per purchase.

Imis

If you want to pick up some folding money go to a busy intersection with a sign reading, "Old, Fat and Ugly, please help."  You will make a lot more than the senior discount.

I go to Savers (like a Goodwill) on Tuesdays as the Senior Discount is 30%, and I make sure I get it. The  Goodwill down  the street is only 10%. Between bullet casting, dying leather and working on my motorcycles I am pretty hard on jeans, no point ruining nice ones. I don't ask for it anywhere else, even though other places offer it.

I one time asked for the Senior Discount and the little girl behind the counter gave me a sad look and said that she was sorry, they didn't have those here.
I never missed a beat.

I leaned one hand on the counter, winked at her and said confidentally, "Wa'l now, if decrepit old age won't do it, how about ravishing good looks?"

She really didn't have to laugh THAT hard ...

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

I have usually asked for senior and veterans discounts.

My son in law is tighter than two coats of paint.  He carries coupons and news paper ads with him everywhere, and now he has me doing it, too.

I always ask.  If I don't get one I ask for another.  I took a snarky cashier down.  After waiting in line for a long tome, and listening to s-i-l ask for several and getting no discounts I stepped up and asked for a senior discount.

No. 

Veterans?

No.

Triple A?

No. (at this point she got snotty and rude)

NRA?

No.

Grocery coupons? 

No.

Alcoholics Anonymous?

She called a manager, the lady in line behind me almost fell down laughing,  two people applauded, my s-i-l hid his face and walked away, and my wife and daughter both came up with the greatest scowling smile I ever saw.

I didn't get any discount and got a negative attitude reaction from the fifteen year old snot nose manager, so I walked out the door and left about seventy dollars worth of merchandise laying on the counter.

Archived