SASS Wire Forum

Polishing 1873 carrier

Bullett Sass 19707

I have a brass carrier in my uberti 1873,  and just got done with a BP match.   I use APP and cleaned the rifle and carrier about 1-2 hrs after the match.   The carrier is tarnished and I want it shiny again.  Will Brasso harm the carrier?  Is there some product that is better?   Comments about leaving it tarnished would not be helpful.   

try some “Flitz”.  It’ll shine it right back up.  
With APP, I cleaned up with windex with vinegar and that cleaned everything real well too.  

I clean my brass in a tumbler with stainless steel pins. Every so often I just drop my carrier in with a batch of brass. Looks like I just bought it. Flitz and mag wheel cleaner will work.

If Brasso is what you have, use it.  It won't take long.   Won't hurt the brass a bit if you get it off in an hour or two.

good luck, GJ

I do clean mine. I think it is important to buff and keep the front ramp really smooth so the cartridges come out of the magazine and ride easily into the carrier.

Brasso and Flitz contain the same active chemical that converts and allows removal of the surface oxidation.  Brasso costs less than a quarter of what you'll pay for Flitz.  Neither harms the brass.  Just follow directions, keep using fresh areas of the rag, and do small overlapping areas until done, not trying to do the whole thing all at once.

I've been shooting APP for a LOOOOOOONG time now.  When My Carrier Block needs cleaned (not often) I throw it in the same soak with my brass.  After drying, I toss it in the Dillon along with the brass.  Doesn't always look "new" but it's always clean.

What are you using to "Clean" it ??

Cleaning brass parts are an ongoing battle, ask anyone that served in the Navy and had to polish brass everyday.  I’ll offer a couple of tips that I’ve found helpful:  high speed Dremels are not your friend when getting the tarnish off, as the buffer gets hot it turns the tarnish into a gummy mess.  Once the tarnish is off a high speed buffing is not usually necessary but will bring out a higher shine.  

55B42B7D-029A-4614-98D2-7142146D10A0.jpeg.7520fcd8e895861579df39e8f2993855.jpeg 

When you get it shined to you liking the bottom and lower side (area circled in the above picture) you can apply a few light coats of brass lacquer.  The lacquer will make future cleaning easier, I would not lacquer any other area.

Archived