SASS Wire Forum

Wtb Winchester 94 30-30

evil dogooder

Looking for a short rifle or carbine for my son.  Beat up is fine as long as it shoots minute of deer.

Mr Do Good'r . . . . "minute of deer" sounds like a good description.  I have one that is like new. But I'm away from home and won't be home until early Nov.  If you haven't found one by then. 

Wolfgang . . . 

good shootin' . . . . . :)

We are planning another "party" in the spring.  Hope that you can attend this time ? 

2nd Annual Whitehorse Hootenanny - YouTube

2 hours ago, Wolfgang, SASS #53480 said:

Mr Do Good'r . . . . "minute of deer" sounds like a good description.  I have one that is like new. But I'm away from home and won't be home until early Nov.  If you haven't found one by then. 

Wolfgang . . . 

good shootin' . . . . . :)

We are planning another "party" in the spring.  Hope that you can attend this time ? 

2nd Annual Whitehorse Hootenanny - YouTube

Send the dates and we will see if we can get it to work.   I'm in no hurry.     

Something to think about with kids and lever actions. My generation were all raised shooting Marlin 30-30s. One of my friends lost control of his hammer on half cock and shot a hole through his dads truck and luckily did not hit anyone. After that all the dads traded in the Marlins and the kids got bolt action 243s for hunting. My two kids got their deer with my old 243. Dont get me wrong I have 73s, 86s a marlin 1893 and a 95 and a 94 but an excited kids can have an accident before you can react. Irish ☘️ Pat

3 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

Something to think about with kids and lever actions. My generation were all raised shooting Marlin 30-30s. One of my friends lost control of his hammer on half cock and shot a hole through his dads truck and luckily did not hit anyone. After that all the dads traded in the Marlins and the kids got bolt action 243s for hunting. My two kids got their deer with my old 243. Dont get me wrong I have 73s, 86s a marlin 1893 and a 95 and a 94 but an excited kids can have an accident before you can react. Irish ☘️ Pat

Thank you for the advice.   I appreciate it.  His  choice of rifle was debated weighing pros and cons.    

On 9/26/2021 at 2:27 PM, evil dogooder said:

Thank you for the advice.   I appreciate it.  His  choice of rifle was debated weighing pros and cons.    

Absolutely nothing wrong with a 94 Winchester.

If hammer control is a concern, they do make horizontal thumb studs for the hammer.

I recommend one, works great with winter gloves.

Put the stud on the dominate hand side for best control.

I have had one on mine for 34 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-Hammer-Extension-Winchester/dp/B0010KPA7W

image.jpeg.b6bb8bb4f28f3a7323090e6db27f1760.jpeg

8 hours ago, Sawhorse Kid said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with a 94 Winchester.

If hammer control is a concern, they do make horizontal thumb studs for the hammer.

I recommend one, works great with winter gloves.

Put the stud on the dominate hand side for best control.

I have had one on mine for 34 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-Hammer-Extension-Winchester/dp/B0010KPA7W

image.jpeg.b6bb8bb4f28f3a7323090e6db27f1760.jpeg

I never said or implied there was anything wrong with one.  I have used one for over 30 years.    Proper gun handling is all it takes. 

9 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

I never said or implied there was anything wrong with one.  I have used one for over 30 years.    Proper gun handling is all it takes. 

Are you interested in the one I have?  If not I will probably list it for sale today.

Thanks.

They started adding safeties on Marlins and Winchesters for a reason. I love my old ones but I can understand a youngster in the woods in cold weather getting excited by a big buck and accidentally losing control of that half cock hammer. I think we used to call it buck fever. My cousin has a big shoulder mount of his first buck. He was so it excited it seems he shot at the horns! Only one buckshot hit the deer in the head and killed it! 

7 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

They started adding safeties on Marlins and Winchesters for a reason. I love my old ones but I can understand a youngster in the woods in cold weather getting excited by a big buck and accidentally losing control of that half cock hammer. I think we used to call it buck fever. My cousin has a big shoulder mount of his first buck. He was so it excited it seems he shot at the horns! Only one buckshot hit the deer in the head and killed it! 

They started due to legal reasons.   

Never understood buck fever.   Guess it was the way I was raised.  Hunting was deadly serious,  never cared much for antler size, they just get made into handles or buttons

Archived