SASS Wire Forum

Let's Go Greeeen....!

Gotta be a better way... don'tcha think?  :huh:  :rolleyes:

Wind Turbine Blades Can’t Be Recycled, So They’re Piling Up in Landfills

Send 'em to Texas and make a fence out of 'em.  :)  (For cattle and horses, of course! ^_^)

green_wind_02

As the supply increases, the blades become raw material for other products. Here is a plan to make concrete:

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/ge-announces-first-us-wind-turbine-blade-recycling-program-with-veolia/591869/

Also pilot programs are looking at making them into flooring and roofing.

3 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

As the supply increases, the blades become raw material for other products. Are is a plan to make concrete:

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/ge-announces-first-us-wind-turbine-blade-recycling-program-with-veolia/591869/

Also pilot programs are looking at making them into flooring and roofing.

I'll assume, by EPA regulation, they have air handling controls at the MO facility where the fiberglass blades are shredded. Otherwise, cough, cough....wheeze for miles. And, cattle with 3 horns.

I'm sure they do, concrete has a lot of dust issues without fiberglass.

Speaking of which, remember the outcry when Sriracha became popular? Yeah, they needed some significant vapor controls on the factory in Irwindale.

https://www.10news.com/news/legal-fight-between-sriracha-socal-city-stemming-from-odor-complaints-is-over-for-now

By the way, never dump a quarter cup of Sriracha into a sizzling-hot frypan to infuse your beef strips! Ask me how I know...

The covering of the Blades is because the "Greenies " don't want it known the extremely  high rate of failure of these "green" energy Devices!!!

At least this is so in Canada...

Jabez Cowboy

11 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Why are the blades worn out?

Air is abrasive because of all the dust that is in it. Rain is seriously abrasive. 

The aviation community has known this for decades. Modern aircraft have special paint or tape on all the leading edges of the aircraft. As the coating or tape wears it is replaced. This protects the underlying structure from permanent damage.

The owners of wind farms should know this. However in practice it seems that blade maintenance is something they think they can put off or omit entirely to cut costs. Unfortunately when put off too long the blades become damaged and start to delaminate. Once this happens they are beyond repair.  

Lightening strikes also cause damage that may or may not be repairable.

14 hours ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

Another useless, expensive and ugly government sponsored and subsidized boondoggle. They didn't learn anything from Solyndra. 

PF

They learned a LOT — about how to dump taxpayer money into special interests. 

They’re putting it to use in the ‘Green New Deal’.

What isn't mentioned... the expired Lithium batteries in tens of thousands of electric vehicles.
These are hazmat materials... require a hazmat disposal process, far more than just a landfill.

3 hours ago, bgavin said:

What isn't mentioned... the expired Lithium batteries in tens of thousands of electric vehicles.
These are hazmat materials... require a hazmat disposal process, far more than just a landfill.

Add to that the process of mining/refining the elements used to make those batteries leaves the surrounding area in toxic, nearly irreparable condition and the product has NO process for recycling!!  It also requires billions of dollars of transportation provided by vehicles using fossil fuels or using energy produced by fossil fuels.

The ONLY real positive aspect of these products is the lining of certain people’s pockets and a moment of instant gratification for those, “We have to do SOMETHING!” idiots who espouse this garbage!!

Yep. 
I'm told they have to mine Cobalt for this use... highly toxic.
I have not vetted this, so anecdotal only.

The folks who swallow this green baloney are the same ones who think you should only get meat from the supermarket, because hunting is inhumane.

It's the wrong time of year for this stuff.<_<

I read the title and was racking my brain for a football team with green in their colors that you were associated with, Hardpan.  The only one I could come up with was Tulane but I know you went to college on the Left Coast, not New Orleans.

Archived