SASS Wire Forum

1873 magazine insert to improve bullet alignment

Tye Riverman, SASS #41433

It is only beneficial at all if shooting .38/357 (or smaller diameter) cartridges in a '73 or '66.

I put one in a 73 shooting .38 specials.  Took it out because it didn't make any difference in speed or smoothness to a top shooter I was working "for."  But then, the ammo carried a truncated cone bullet that may have self-straightened better than most RNFP bullets.  And, magazine spring was shortened so that only 3" stuck out of a bare magazine tube, thus lowering pressure on the cartridge stack.

good luck, GJ

Howdy Tye.  I put the fiber one in a 32-20 '73.  That cartridge zigzags in the tube even more than .38's and the liner made it a LOT easier to load.  Not sure if it made a difference in feeding.  A thicker aluminum liner would definitely be preferable in my case, but none were available back then.

Solution in search of a problem!

I have them in all the 32WCF's we shoot,  I do really feel a difference in feeding from tube to carrier.  That 45 cal.  tube just let's these little pills  wander around some in the transition.  And,  yes it feeds easier too.

Ol'  #4

Mr. Riverman, I have the aluminum ones in all four of my rifles but then again I can't shoot a lick.

9 hours ago, Tye Riverman, SASS #41433 said:

If you have one, did it improve the gun's performance?  Worth the money?

Thanks,

Tye

The first one I put in made a huge difference. I bought the rifle used without trying it out and apparently the mag tube had never been cleaned  at all. It was so rusty I couldn't get it cleaned enough to be smooth, you could feel the roughness when loading. I put in a bullet alignment kit and it cured all my problems and was a lot easier than replacing the mag tube.

Randy

I like my aluminum tube in my 357 very much. The drag inside the magazine appears to be decreased, and it allowed me to use a softer spring which made loading much easier.  I hate the fiber tubes. They are too thin, but the biggest problem is that some chemicals attack them and they become a rough and brittle on the inside and also become virtually stuck inside the magazine. I've had three (3) guns come through that had that problem with the fiber tubes. I finally got the tubes out and replaced with aluminum tubes. Much better choice IMO.

Snakebite 

I have one in a .38/.357 that I shoot regularly.  Does it make any difference?  Probably not.  Would it make any difference in a smaller caliber?  It might or might not make or not make any difference.

Blackfoot

On 9/25/2021 at 3:06 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Howdy Tye.  I put the fiber one in a 32-20 '73.  That cartridge zigzags in the tube even more than .38's and the liner made it a LOT easier to load.  Not sure if it made a difference in feeding.  A thicker aluminum liner would definitely be preferable in my case, but none were available back then.

+1

Archived