SASS Wire Forum

Ruger old army

evil dogooder

Trying to help  a new shooter get guns.    He has a ss 5 1/2 old army fixed sights he's going to sell to pay for cartridge  guns.  What's a fair price for these I know nothing about them.  GB. Has them  from 900 to over 2k. Is there anything special that would drive the price that high? 

Scarcity is the driving factor. In SASS circles the adjustable sight models are not really in demand as they are not legal for any of the black powder categories. The fixed sight models bring a premium as they are legal for SASS and are highly reliable.

In my opinion GB prices are higher than they should be.  That said a fixed sight model sold to a SASS shooter is going to bring $1500 to $2000. Although recently one sold in less than 10 minutes for $1000

Another issue driving up the price is a lack of parts. I just bought a complete adjustable sight model for parts. Paid less for the complete gun than I would have for the parts I desired. 

5 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

According to past commentary,  Why would you "ever" need parts for a Ruger ??  Works on the street is Ruger is indestructible  :ph34r: 

Mine has a defective cylinder. The chambers are too large in diameter. Every time you fire it the balls in the unfired chambers move forward. It is not an issue with the size of the ball as my other ROA and the replacement do not have this problem using the same .458 diameter balls.

.................and the price / value goes up depending on what gunsmith work has been done to the ROA.  Making the guns race-ready, with lowered hammer, new internal parts, lighter hammer pull, lowered hammers, new after-market nipples, new grips  ......can add more than $500 in cost, which would raise the sales price.

Sounds like your ROA is unmolested ($1,000 +) , and the race guns will go for more than $2000 each.

Those made in 1976 have something like "Made in the 200th year of American liberty" stamped in with all the other verbiage on the barrel. Might increase value to a collector, I dunno.

Imis

There was one at the gun show today Evil…adjustable sight model. On a table across the end closest to where you were. Can’t remember the price….but looked to be new in box

Thanks for the responses.  He really had a craving for a 92 and slick 97 that I had so we swapped.  This will be going up on the wire in a little bit as I have no interest in shooting bp

Archived