SASS Wire Forum

Worst Wyatt Earp movie

Rye Miles #13621

Talk about getting history all wrong! Yikes! Wyatt goes to arrest Old Man Clanton for the murder of his brothers James and Virgil and who the heck is Clementine? The gunfight at the OK corral is just ridiculous !

It’s got my vote for the worst Wyatt Earp movie!

Whats yours???!

According to Ford, the gun fight in the film occurred exactly as Wyatt Earp told him.   Visually, the movie is well done, although I doubt the gunfight lasted as long as it did in the film.  The same goes for the Burt Lancaster movie, Gunfight at the OK Corral.  If you didn't know the way it really happened, they're both good gunfights, nonetheless.  The first movie to depict the gunfight was Law and Order with Walter Huston and Ray Hatton, a fictionalized version of the Tombstone gunfight.  No more accurate than the others.

I like it. I just absolutly love old western movies though. They are def. not meant to be factual. Just good entertainment then as well as now for those who like them. 

Most movies are pretty liberal with the facts. Just watch them and enjoy them for what they are. You'll enjoy them more that way. 

My problem with it like I said is the inaccurate historical things like Doc Holliday being a doctor, Virgil and James being killed by Old Man Clanton and I doubt that gunfight was anything like it really was. Tombstone and Wyatt Earp came alot closer from everything I read. Old Man Clanton was not even there! I don't care what actors were in it and I liked all of them but c'mon really??? Who the heck was Clementine? That was a total fictitious character. I think it was a terrible movie but ya'll have fun watching it!  :lol:

35 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My problem with it like I said is the inaccurate historical things like Doc Holliday being a doctor, Virgil and James being killed by Old Man Clanton and I doubt that gunfight was anything like it really was. Tombstone and Wyatt Earp came alot closer from everything I read. Old Man Clanton was not even there! I don't care what actors were in it and I liked all of them but c'mon really??? Who the heck was Clementine? That was a total fictitious character. I think it was a terrible movie but ya'll have fun watching it!  :lol:

I agree 100%

It is a movie.  If you want a documentary go to the History Channel.  If you look at the advertisements or posters for "historical" movies most say something like "inspired by true events" or "based on a true event."  Inspired by can mean anything.  Frequently, for example, for WWII movies the true event was WWII.  Everything else is made up.

5 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

It is a movie.  If you want a documentary go to the History Channel.  If you look at the advertisements or posters for "historical" movies most say something like "inspired by true events" or "based on a true event."  Inspired by can mean anything.  Frequently, for example, for WWII movies the true event was WWII.  Everything else is made up.

I don't want a documentary but changing the FACTS are waaaaay out there!! Doc Holiday was a dentist! Old Man Clanton was NOT at the OK Corral, Virgil and James Earp were not killed before the OK Corral. That's why I say it's the WORST Wyatt Earp movie ever!! It's just plain ridiculous and stupid!

Tombstone and Wyatt Earp (Costner) weren't documentaries either but at least they didn't change basic history!

I gotta go with Rye on this one, I love movies for what they are and it did have a super cast in it. Just don't make it after an historical event and change all the history. I understand the draw at the time using the famous names though. That's like showing a film about the alamo, using all the historical correct names of the men and then moving it to take place in ohio and have them win...great cast or not, I got issues....

Since we're talking Wyatt Earp, not just OK corral and Tombstone, a pretty darn good Earp movie is Witchita, a 1955 film starring Joel McCrae. I has a great cast in addition to McCrae: Jack Elam, Edgar Buchanan, Vera Miles, Peter Graves, Lloyd Bridges.

'Course, it's far from the 'worst', but worth mentioning here.

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

The Series with Hugh O'Brian was pretty lame too.

Yes it was!

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

The Series with Hugh O'Brian was pretty lame too.

It was supposedly taken from the book that Wyatt Earp told to Stuart Lake but even he had the characters and time line somewhat correct except for Wyatt's deputy sidekick Shotgun Gibbs with the mule, pretty cool character but totally made up!:D

9 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Talk about getting history all wrong! Yikes! Wyatt goes to arrest Old Man Clanton for the murder of his brothers James and Virgil and who the heck is Clementine? The gunfight at the OK corral is just ridiculous !

It’s got my vote for the worst Wyatt Earp movie!

Whats yours???!

1069807_10200761988349715_99914249_n.jpg

5 hours ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Clementine was the girl from Doc's (Victor Mature) past , who Wyatt (Henry Fonda) kinda took a shine to.

Rex :D

There was no Clementine, Doc was in love with his cousin who went to the convent.  She never went to Tombstone and her name was not Clementine.  In fact it was Mary Melanie. :P

Actually I sometimes quote a line from that movie to my sons to teach them about when to not pull a gun.

One time in particular they were riding their 4 wheelers with their friends and some guy stopped them thinking they had been on his land, and pulled his holster and gun out and pointed at them.   My son said he wished he could have a pistol to pull one out too.  I took a line from this movie that Ike taught his boys, "you pull a gun, you kill a man"  we don't pull a gun to threaten someone.  Don't ever pull a gun unless it is down to you must kill to survive.  

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

There was no Clementine, Doc was in love with his cousin who went to the convent.  She never went to Tombstone and her name was not Clementine. Ok. In fact it was Mary Melanie. :P

O.K. , but when Doc first sees her he asks,"Clem , what are you doing here?" in this movie. Clementine Carter , played by Cathy Downs , about 4th or fifth billing in the credits.

Anyway , that's all from me.

Rex :D

Another thing about this rotten movie Doc gets killed in the fight! :o

The set looks nothing like the OK Corral if you were ever in Tombstone you’d know what I mean!:wacko:

Tombstone the movie is perhaps the most entertaining of the Earp interpretations. If’n one is going to get their panties in a wad over movie accuracy, one needs to acknowledge the blatant fabrications of this film:

Morgan and Virgil being shot on the same night. Josie warning the Earp women something bad was going down. The vendetta ride where Wyatt wipes out like, everybody but Ike. Doc taking out Johnny Ringo in a duel and Wyatt’s presence for the aftermath. Wyatt visiting Doc on his deathbed in Glenwood Springs. 

The list goes on, but these movies are fun anyway. I like this one best because it captures the flavor of real events better than the others. In my mind — yours may be different. ^_^

Morgan and Virgil got shot on the same night? I don’t remember that in the movie, there was some time between but they only had a couple hours so it “seemed” like  it was the same day.

All the other things you mentioned were questionable for sure but I agree Tombstone was the best. Wyatt Earp (Costner) was also very good and more historically accurate.

I know, you know, we all know, the story was not authentic to the real people, and events. 

But, I enjoyed the movie.

I liked it because there was no orchestra music playing all the time, or before an action scene, or any time. The only music was the dance at the unfinished church. 

I liked it because it was in black and white, and was made in the 1940's, when men were men, and boys wished they were. ;)

I liked Henry Fonda's hat, and had one made that looked like it, from the old Weather Hat Company out of Colorado, later Sheridan, Wyoming.

I liked that "Wyatt" had his holster on his belt, instead of hanging down to his ankles, as in most westerns.

I liked the scenes of "Wyatt" chasing down the stagecoach to catch "Doc". 

I was always a fan of Victor Mature, and Charles Stevens, and Ward Bond, and Linda Darnell. 

I liked it because it beat the pasture-pies out of THE worst western ever made: The Hateful Eight. :angry:  Not to mention Django. :blink:

16 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I know, you know, we all know, the story was not authentic to the real people, and events. 

But, I enjoyed the movie.

I liked it because there was no orchestra music playing all the time, or before an action scene, or any time. The only music was the dance at the unfinished church. 

I liked it because it was in black and white, and was made in the 1940's, when men were men, and boys wished they were. ;)

I liked Henry Fonda's hat, and had one made that looked like it, from the old Weather Hat Company out of Colorado, later Sheridan, Wyoming.

I liked that "Wyatt" had his holster on his belt, instead of hanging down to his ankles, as in most westerns.

I liked the scenes of "Wyatt" chasing down the stagecoach to catch "Doc". 

I was always a fan of Victor Mature, and Charles Stevens, and Ward Bond, and Linda Darnell. 

I liked it because it beat the pasture-pies out of THE worst western ever made: The Hateful Eight. :angry:  Not to mention Django. :blink:

I actually liked Hateful Eight and Django better than Clementine which I think is one of the worst westerns ever made!:wacko:

8 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Which movie would you rather have a child watch?  

If it isn't fit for a child to watch, it isn't fit for anyone to watch...ie the scene in hateful eight, that I cannot describe here, comes to mind.

'Nuff said.

Wether or not I would have a child watch any movie doesn’t matter to me if I like a movie or not! There’s plenty of movies that aren’t good for kids!

So you only watch movies that are fit for kids? Have fun with that!:P

Archived