SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Pie

Subdeacon Joe

Sugar... 1/2 Cup Brown & White.

Is that 1/2 cup of each, or a quarter cup of each for a total of 1/2 cup...?   :huh:

I used to think Sweet Potato pie was my favorite until I made a German Chocolate Pie.  

It quickly move to the most favorite status.

Speaking of German chocolate pie.

I used to wonder occasionally what a German chocolate cake had to do with Germany.

I finally found out. Nothing. A chocolatier, named German, invented the cake. And you can still find German chocolate on the baking aisle at your grocery store, along with Hershey's chocolate and Nestle's chocolate.

Johnny Cash pineapple pie. Soooooo deelishyous!

Here in Florida, nothing beats a cool slice of Key Lime Pie on a hot humid day! :wub:

key-lime-pie.thumb.jpg.b35499e6694e8bf82cc6ec0e2167a35a.jpg

2 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

HA!!  None of the Above.  LEMON MERINGUE :wub:

Number two behind my dad's chess pie.  His recipe is way too rich and sugary to eat more than a couple of times a year, but it sure is worth the wait.  

My grandmother's boiled fruit cake (the fruit cake for people who really hate fruit cake) is third on the list and it's so versatile that you can swap out some ingredients and still have a wonderful dessert.  I know, I know: it isn't pie, but I couldn't resist. 

Bourbon pecan pie from the Rock Springs Cafe just north of Phoenix on I17.

Here's a lemon pie that's a guaranteed ticket into dessert heaven!  :blush:

COOKIE CRUST LEMON PIE

Dbl batch sugar cookie dough, refrigerated (make your own or buy Pillsbury – much easier! And for a deep dish pie increase ingredients by 1/2)

1 1/3 cups sugar

1/3 cup cornstarch

2 eggs

½ cup lemon juice

1 ½ cups boiling water

2 tablespoons butter or margarine (butter preferred)

Yellow food coloring (optional)

Additional sprinkling sugar (colored sprinkles work well)

Preheat oven to 350'.  Between floured (or powdered sugar) waxed paper, press half the dough into a 6-inch circle.  Roll until you can safely place in a 9" greased (buttered) pie pan.

In heavy saucepan or double boiler, combine sugar, cornstarch and eggs; mix well.  Over medium heat, gradually stir in lemon juice then water, stirring constantly.  Cook and stir until thickened, and continue to cook one additional minute.  Just use your best judgement.

Remove from heat.

Add butter or margarine; stir until melted.  Add coloring if desired.

Pour into crust.

Roll remaining crust, cut into rounds with a cookie cutter and layer over top. Just have them barely touch each other, as they will expand as they bake.  Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake 15 minutes or until golden.  Chill; keep refrigerated.

LARGE (Deep Dish) PIE

Dbl+ batch sugar cookie dough

2 cups sugar

½ cup cornstarch

3 eggs

¾ cup lemon juice

2 ¼ cup boiling water

3 tablespoons butter

:lol: I'm seeing a large number of correct answers! Daggonnit, now I've got to go rat me up some pie! :lol:

Blueberry Pie #1 for me and Saskatoon Berry Pie a close second.

On 9/25/2021 at 7:39 AM, Alpo said:

Speaking of German chocolate pie.

I used to wonder occasionally what a German chocolate cake had to do with Germany.

I finally found out. Nothing. A chocolatier, named German, invented the cake. And you can still find German chocolate on the baking aisle at your grocery store, along with Hershey's chocolate and Nestle's chocolate.

Black Forest Cake, however!

Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, named not for the region but for the liqueur which is in it.

Apple pie, with cinnamon, Cherry Pie, P can, Strawberry Rubarb, Saskatoon, Peach, Blueberry Heck I like Pie .......

Jabez Cowboy

Have met few pies I didn't like, even the savory ones.

My all-time favorite, however (likely because of the gilding influence of reminiscence): strawberry-rhubarb.

This thread is starting to sound like the shrimp list from Forest Gump.

And of course, any listing of pies wouldn't be complete without . . .

I like pies made from my backyard crops.  Granny Smith apples fresh picked from my tree and pumpkin pie from a pumpkin I grew.  Marion berry pies from Shari's in Oregon are good too.  I have rarely turned down a slice of pie of any type.  Unfortunately, commercial meat pies have too much sodium for my diet and I no longer eat them.

Three Stooges Pie Fight

Archived