SASS Wire Forum

Lee Load-All 2 12 Gauge Shotshell Reloading Press

Buckshot Bear

I used a lee for years without any issues except the primer feed.

I used it until a friend sold me a used mec for cheap. The mec is better but I would still used the lee if i needed to

Lee Load All works fine and for the price, you can't beat it! If it cost close to the MEC, no question the MEC is better.

The only thing I really don't like with mine is how fine grained powder "leaks" out between the plates. gets all over the place.

Talked to Lee about it and they said to take it apart and clean it (same as they told me for my powder measure that does the same).

This helps for a very short time and then it's right back to powder leaking everywhere. A little better seal for the powder, and I'd be happy with it.

Maybe someday I'll spring for a MEC, right now I'm just trying to keep components on the shelf!

I've got two MEC 600's, a .410 and a 28 ga, then Lee Load Alls in 20, 16, and four 12's. Ten gauge is a whole 'nuther post. I modified one of the 12's to load 2 1/2" shells w/star crimps. Two things about the Lee - skip the primer feed accessory, and second, the crimp starter doesn't self-index, so get a flashlight and look up inside the die to determine where the valley of the crimp is and make a mark or or notation on the base to orient the crimp. Both the 600 Jr's and the Lee are single stage, and both will load 4 boxes an hour if everything goes right. The Lee comes with a full set of powder bushings & shot bushings (7/8 - 1 7/8), so there's nothing else to buy. If you want even lighter shot charges, it's a simple matter to sleeve a bushing to get 1/2 or 3/4 oz. I've loaded many thousands of 12g on the Lee's and never had a problem with function (other than the goofy primer feed) or breakage. Unless you're loading hundreds of rounds a month for Trap/Clays/Skeet, the Lee is just fine.

I have had a Lee Load All for about 20 years and bought it to load black powder. I have just started reloading smokeless and here are my observations: The press leaks quite a bit of powder. I have tightened everything as much as I dare but still have quite a bit of leakage. I have done some research and this doesn’t appear to be unique to my loader. All of my powder bushings are not accurate. My 13 grain bushing is accurate to within .2 grains but my 13.7 grain bushing  throws 14.2 -14.4 grains which is too much of a variance.   I am using Titewad powder and I know the powder choice can make a difference. This is something I will have to figure out.  It will produce shotgun shells and will take some work on my part to do what I want to do. For the price and no more shotgun shells than I shoot I will figure it out. Just my thoughts so far.

2 hours ago, Lone Rider SASS#32091 said:

I have had a Lee Load All for about 20 years and bought it to load black powder. I have just started reloading smokeless and here are my observations: The press leaks quite a bit of powder. I have tightened everything as much as I dare but still have quite a bit of leakage. I have done some research and this doesn’t appear to be unique to my loader. All of my powder bushings are not accurate. My 13 grain bushing is accurate to within .2 grains but my 13.7 grain bushing  throws 14.2 -14.4 grains which is too much of a variance.   I am using Titewad powder and I know the powder choice can make a difference. This is something I will have to figure out.  It will produce shotgun shells and will take some work on my part to do what I want to do. For the price and no more shotgun shells than I shoot I will figure it out. Just my thoughts so far.

I forgot that detail, yes, lots of leakage with fine powder. I avoid the fine powders, old 452AA was the worst.

BB

On 9/25/2021 at 6:56 PM, John Boy said:

Gents, in case you didn’t read the OP’s post it is are the Lee Load All’s any good. …

Yes, that is correct. However, he provided info as to why he was asking the question. Simply getting a machine and reloading may not solve his problem. A properly fitted shotgun is important whether he reloads or not. I'm 6"0'' and my wife is 5'3". We had the gun fitted to her. I can still use it with no problem. He can use what info he finds useful. Plus, you should know by now that no question on the WIRE is ever answered in less that 3 pages with a lot of "extra" thrown in.;)

You need to buy a basic book on shotgun loading.  There are different wads for different shot loads.  It is called stack height.  Use the wrong combo and you will either get dished or tented rounds.  The amount and type of powder also affect stack height.  Fluffy bulky powder takes up more space than fine granule powder.

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You need to buy a basic book on shotgun loading.  There are differnt wads for different shot loads.  It is called stack height.  Use the wrong combo and you will either get dished or tented rounds.

Yep its looking that way, loaded untold metallic cartridges but except for some .410's many moons ago I know zilch about reloading shotgun shells.

54 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Yep its looking that way, loaded untold metallic cartridges but except for some .410's many moons ago I know zilch about reloading shotgun shells.

Its not hard . Get online and start Googling it. You can find everything you need right there. I've a couple electronic copies of reloading manuals for shotguns I use. 

Archived