SASS Wire Forum

Lee Load-All 2 12 Gauge Shotshell Reloading Press

Buckshot Bear

Never had much luck with a lot of Lee products.

Is the Lee Load-All 2 12 Gauge Shotshell Reloading Press any good?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162526234206?epid=1641990473&hash=item25d751865e:g:Ik0AAOSwF41fA4JO

Looks like I'm going to have to reload for reduced 12g shells for my wife as she isn't really liking any of the shells that I have been able to buy.

Don't waist your money on the Lee.  Get a MEC 600 or Sizemaster you will much happier with the MEC.

8 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Don't waist your money on the Lee.  Get a MEC 600 or Sizemaster you will much happier with the MEC.

I can get one for around $600 here in Oz -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/273929340678?hash=item3fc7760706:g:VMgAAOSwu1VW2hX7&frcectupt=true

Just taking it easy and not trying to break a record, how many shells could you reload in an hour on one?

Also how many times can you reload a shotgun hull?

The MEC 600 and Sizemaster are worlds ahead of the Lee.  If I were restricting myself to a single stage press I would get the Sizemaster.  It has a die that sizes the base and a die that taper crimps the top of the shell.  Both these dies make the shell go in and out of the shotgun much more reliably The Lee does not have this feature.  The Lee depends on feel to get the correct depth of crimp, wear as the MECs have a positive stop.  Plus you won't have any trouble selling the MEC when you are done with it unlike the Lee which few people want or use.

The issue with the lee load all is that it is that you are limited to only a few shot charge weights with the lightest being 1 oz.

With the MEC you have a much greater choice of shot charges. The ones most beneficial for low recoil charges are the 3/4 oz and 7/8 oz. 

Had a Lee for about two days 20 years ago.  I do not like plastic.  The bottom of the line Mec 600 is far better.  Neither are progessive so you won't be turning out massive amounts of shells per hour.  The Sizemaster is a big step up as it has auto primer feed and the collet sizer.  I don't know if Australian Dollars are like Pesos as the prices on Australian EBay for a Mec are way above the Lee.  To lazy to look at the exchange rate to see how much these machines are in Australia.  But, if you can afford it the Mec will be around long after the Lee and will have a much better resale value.

21 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Had a Lee for about two days 20 years ago.  I do not like plastic.  The bottom of the line Mec 600 is far better.  Neither are progessive so you won't be turning out massive amounts of shells per hour.  The Sizemaster is a big step up as it has auto primer feed and the collet sizer.  I don't know if Australian Dollars are like Pesos as the prices on Australian EBay for a Mec are way above the Lee.  To lazy to look at the exchange rate to see how much these machines are in Australia.  But, if you can afford it the Mec will be around long after the Lee and will have a much better resale value.

Yep the Aussie dollar is about peso worthy at the moment compared to the greenback at 72c

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Then I suggest fitting it to her and you adjust until another can be found for you.

Problem is my wife is sharing it with two of our daughter in laws (and none of them really enjoy the kick) and I've rung up so many gun shops and there's no Stoegers (Branded Boito here) presently available for love or money.

What brand of shells can you get?  Winchester has the LowNoise, LowRecoil. Fiocchi has a light 7/8 load.  There are some light factory 12 gauge loads out there.

Just now, Buckshot Bear said:

Problem is my wife is sharing it with two of our daughter in laws (and none of them really enjoy the kick) and I've rung up so many gun shops and there's no Stoegers (Branded Boito here) presently available for love or money.

Just trying to help.  Until the gun fits pretty good no load is gonna make them happy. Cut it to length, fill the stock with lead shot and put a good thick butt pad on it.

11 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Just trying to help.  Until the gun fits pretty good no load is gonna make them happy. Cut it to length, fill the stock with lead shot and put a good thick butt pad on it.

And its appreciated.

3 hours ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

That's what I started with and used for almost 10 years, will work well.

Rafe

Same here.  Mine never let me down.  Those recommending MEC 600s and the 600Jr are giving good advice, but those suggesting the Load-All should be avoided because of plastic components are off-base, IMHO.  They aren't as good, but that doesn't mean they don't work.  They've been around for decades because they can get the job done and they are a good value.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The issue with the lee load all is that it is that you are limited to only a few shot charge weights with the lightest being 1 oz.

With the MEC you have a much greater choice of shot charges. The ones most beneficial for low recoil charges are the 3/4 oz and 7/8 oz. 

I've had my Load-All 2 for over 20 years.  I use it exclusively for BP shells (dipping the powder)  so the slower rate has been fine for me.  Around a half-hour per box.  But a good while back I did load a whopping 335 smokeless rounds with it, and got 7/8 oz of shot with one of the bushings.  Don't know if current presses are the same or not.  There are ways to line the inside of the bushing to make it smaller if necessary.

The LoadAll has no stops to limit the movement on dies on the stations.  You have to "memorize the feel" where the die movement should end.  Makes it very hard to control the quality of shells to all come out the same.

Another vote for a low end Mec so you can load without trying to recall where to stop the handle.

good luck, GJ

4 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162526234206?epid=1641990473&hash=item25d751865e:g:Ik0AAOSwF41fA4JO

Looks like I'm going to have to reload for reduced 12g shells for my wife as she isn't really liking any of the shells that I have been able to buy.

I’ve loaded thousands on mine

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

What brand of shells can you get?  Winchester has the LowNoise, LowRecoil. Fiocchi has a light 7/8 load.  There are some light factory 12 gauge loads out there.

Haven't been able to get any of them as yet because we're still in lockdown and my local shop has only what I've taken pics of below.

Looking at prices for reloading components for 12g its not a big saving, I wouldn't bother only for being able to reduce the loads.

20210925_121041.thumb.jpg.0c33c4ff1b970383efdeccb2e7d406c7.jpg

20210925_121109.thumb.jpg.242b7e5ec5f886cd44b6d4e9d57da352.jpg

You are liable to start a riot by posting a photo of the small pistol primers in the background in stock at your local shop!  Scarce as hen's teeth here.

17 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You are liable to start a riot by posting a photo of the small pistol primers in the background in stock at your local shop!  Scarce as hen's teeth here.

LOL that's a few shelves of my ammo cupboard, I was lucky and scored some more the other day.....those Federal match primers $ made my eyes water some!

And I was happy to get those .22's as well :)

.20210917_145029.thumb.jpg.3baaac26780e94abcd136a132fe2374c.jpg

Hey Buckshot..What about a Pacific DL155 single stage, they are a good press & the good news is my son is holidaying in Western Queensland & he told me of one for sale in Roma for $100..he has to go that way , told him to have a look, if all ok he will grab it..I will check it out if he gets it & let you know...you can have it for the same price plus postage...look them up. good reliable press...

Cheers 'Mohawk

10 minutes ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Hey Buckshot..What about a Pacific DL155 single stage, they are a good press & the good news is my son is holidaying in Western Queensland & he told me of one for sale in Roma for $100..he has to go that way , told him to have a look, if all ok he will grab it..I will check it out if he gets it & let you know...you can have it for the same price plus postage...look them up. good reliable press...

Cheers 'Mohawk

Thanks Mowhawk, that would be bloody awesome mate if that's possible! Please thank your son and I owe you a case!

9 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Mine came with a 7/8s   its the one I use in there now.  
Mine has been worth every penny of the 60 bucks it cost. Been using it for three years now to load black powder loads.
Sure, a mec is nice...so is a Rolls royce, but I dont need one to get to taco bell-a ford marquise does just fine.

8 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

Sure, a mec is nice...so is a Rolls royce, but I dont need one to get to taco bell-a ford marquise does just fine.

Well, I'd say the Lee would be more like the Crown Vic. ;)

This is surely a YMMV thing, but I will add that I never cared for the primer feed on the Load All.  I spread out some primers on the flat workbench and after depriming I set the shell over the primer and hand start it, then move back to the press to seat it.

Gents, in case you didn’t read the OP’s post it is are the Lee Load All’s any good. …

*  Like any press, if one knows how to adjust the press, it will produce reloads equal to the other presses except resizing bases.  I’ve had a  20 -16 and a 12  for year along with my other presses.  A negative, the Load All will not produce reloads from New 16 ga hulls

On 9/25/2021 at 5:17 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

Thanks Mowhawk, that would be bloody awesome mate if that's possible! Please thank your son and I owe you a case!

No  worries..oh  & ya' gotta'  drop that first W' out of Mohawk..I ain't a Greenfield mower :P..I get it all the time  !!!!

On 9/24/2021 at 6:05 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

I use a Lee Loadall 2. Nothing wrong with them just not as good as the Mecs and such. But its really comparing apples to oranges comparing the Lee Loadall to a Mec. I'd say if you don't load all the time or in large qualities the Lee will serve you well , but if you load allot might want to go ahead and get a MEC. I'm just now trying to get into CAS and loaded up 50 rounds. the other night. If and when I can Ill get a MEC and regulate the Lee for testing , slugs, and buckshot.

I've probably owned about a half dozen LEE LoadAlls, 12, 16 and 20. They are better than the price point would suggest. Even the plastic ones will load ammo. 

I also own or have owned: MEC 600's, Sizemasters and a Grabber. They do work well. A grabber is a progressive, made for pumping out a lot of one load. The 600 is MECs entry level press, it works, but IMHO the SizeMaster is the better choice. The Universal charge bar isn't something I'd recommend. I've had several, and sold all except one that I use for 410. The 410 is a fussy beggar to load, being able to fine tune the shot is handy. 

But, bottom line, for trying different loads and loading a box or 2 it'll work for you. 

I have discovered that most manuals list mostly loads 1200 fps or faster, Cowboy loads can be slower. I can't readily or inexpensively get the 980 fps Winchester ammo, the Low Noise Low Recoil, 28 gram load. I have managed to squirrel away some 7/8 1200 fps ammo that Cabelas was clearing out. They had too many complaints that it would not cycle an auto. 

I suppose the point I'm trying to make, is that to cut down on recoil, you can reduce the weight of shot, or you can reduce the velocity, or both if you can. 

The core criteria is keeping the pressure within the normal range. IOW, the maximum average pressure for 12 ga 2 3/4 shotshells is 11,500 psi. It has been my experience that if the pressure is significantly lower than that, you can encounter issues. Wads won't seal, inconsistent velocities and incomplete burning of powder. 

I don't know how low in pressure you can go, and still have reliable ammunition, but if I were to guess, I'd say anything under 6,000 psi will potentially have issues. A good goal may be around 8,000 to 9,000. If you look at the SAAMI standards, the shot can vary from 7/8 oz to 1 5/8 oz, but the max pressure is always the same. 

Therefore to get a light load to work correctly, the powder burn rate has to be faster than for a 1 5/8 load. This somewhat limits the suitable powders. Winchester SuperLite was designed with light loads, low velocity, and normal pressure in mind. Unfortunately it has been discontinued. 

Sadly, that is where my experience ends, I've tried a few recipes with very little success. 

Oddly, there is an ideal powder for light loads, with low velocity. and that is Black Powder. BP is the original shotshell powder, all the pressures and Dram Eq. stuff is all BP based. 

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load14_09_12.htm

Basically, these BP recipes will do the trick, and for smokeless, the goal will be to duplicate these. 

BB

Archived