SASS Wire Forum

Beretta 92FS

Buckshot Bear

Never even see Beretta 92's mentioned any more in gun mags, they used to be popular and often an article or two.

I've put over 60,000 rounds through my 92FS Inox and it still cleans up and feels like its new.

Is there any popularity for them in the US anymore?

If Beretta painted it purple and renamed it the Purple People Eater it would be mentioned in the gun mags.  Gun mags like to report on new stuff.  Stuff like the 989th 1911 clone manufactured by some new company in their garage shop.  I don't read the gun mags any more because I know all I need to know about 1911s and Glocks and Sigs, etc.  They aren't different but all they have to do is extend the thumb safety .040" and it is the latest golly gee whiz gun.  Sort of like "new and improved" Tide laundry detergent.  It has been "new and improved" since I was a kid.

I carried one for 22 years as a duty pistol.  It did not fit my hand right.  I never loved it.  I liked it.  Being retired now, I carry a S&W Shield now as a CCW.  I like it much better and shoot it more efficiently.  

The 92 has diminished in fame while still being a popular pistol.  The FBI switching to the 40 and subsequent police departments switching from 9 to 40 Glock hurt it.  The Army's switch to Sig from the M9 hurt it.  

Here is a quick break down which will influence the civilian market.  

https://wethepeopleholsters.com/blogs/news/u-s-government-handguns-who-carries-what

The Springfield XD has also declined in popularity

And there is another super whiz bang that has now fizzled.  The .40 S&W.  FBI and numerous police switched to it.  Now they have pretty much all switched back to the 9mm.  A couple of local stores won't take .40s in trade and you see them (up until the great pandemic) gathering dust on dealer shelves.

Just bought a new M9.  Still great pistols.  Gun rags?  Don't think they set the agenda these days.  Most publicity today is just someone attempting to sell their latest polymer imitation (except, its better and new!) Glock.

Never fear.  92 is still wondermous.

I came close to buying a 92 Brigadier Inox last year when the silliness was in full blossom. My LGS had a 92 FS blues and the Inox (stainless) for $639.

I had just bought a Glock 34 and couldn’t justify another 9mm at the time. 
I still wish I would have gone ahead and bought it. 

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I came close to buying a 92 Brigadier Inox last year when the silliness was in full blossom. My LGS had a 92 FS blues and the Inox (stainless) for $639.

I had just bought a Glock 34 and couldn’t justify another 9mm at the time. 
I still wish I would have gone ahead and bought it. 

Here's the prices from one Aussie gun shop (we are limited to 10 shot mags now :( )

https://www.gunworld.com.au/pistols/beretta/

1 minute ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Here's the prices from one Aussie gun shop (we are limited to 10 shot mags now :( )

https://www.gunworld.com.au/pistols/beretta/

Steep! The shop I frequent doesn’t price gouge. All during the CoVid buying panic and dumbassery they charged reasonable pricing for all the guns they had. 

The U.S. has the cheapest prices for guns of any major country.  (Not counting all the free guns in Afghanistan.)  The question isn't whether the prices seem high to us in the U.S. the question is whether it is high compared to other stores in Australia.

I Googled 'average annual wage in the US & OZ' and in the US its (if Google is right) around $50,000 and in Australia its around $100,000 so that mollifies the prices a bit that we seem to pay for anything gun related down here compared to looking at the prices you guys pay.

Youngest son was over in the States in Minnesota (before Covid) for a couple of weeks and spent a ton of $ letting loose with an assortment of full auto guns at Bills Gun Shop and he was comparing the price of gear and bits and pieces and said he would have loved to have bought a container load of stuff!

I also imagine after the 1996 Australian gun law Australia imposes fairly high taxes on guns.  In the U.S. there is a federal excise tax of 10% on handguns and 11% on rifles buried in the price of every new gun.  There is also an 11% federal excise tax on ammunition.

25 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I also imagine after the 1996 Australian gun law Australia imposes fairly high taxes on guns.  In the U.S. there is a federal excise tax of 10% on handguns and 11% on rifles buried in the price of every new gun.  There is also an 11% federal excise tax on ammunition.

Not sure about that, but it sure wouldn't surprise me at all. 

I think that we import a lot here ads up a lot in the end price we get hit with......and because there's shortages, there's definitely price gouging going on. I suppose the gun shops are thinking 'make hay whilst the sun shines'.

Never cared for the Beretta 92 platform.  Had a couple, but never carried one.  Couldn't get used to the slide mounted safety after years with the 1911.  

My high capacity whiz banger is a Sig Sauer P226 Tac Ops.  That or one of my P229s.

Check out the Langdon Tactical 92. That is about as finely tuned Beretta you're going to find anywhere. And Ernest Langdon knows a thing or two about combat, competitive shooting and gunsmithing.

35 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Never cared for the Beretta 92 platform.  Had a couple, but never carried one.  Couldn't get used to the slide mounted safety after years with the 1911.  

My high capacity whiz banger is a Sig Sauer P226 Tac Ops.  That or one of my P229s.

I don't carry mine, but will shoot it any time including in competition.

This is basically for the reason you stated... The M9/92FS safety is the reverse of a 1911.

Nothing really wrong with the design except in contrast to other platforms.

As I understand the Beretta, apply safety (press down!), insert mag, chamber round, holster, and finally remove safety (up!).

The fear... In a stress situation, draw firearm, thumb safety down (like 1911), die.

On 9/24/2021 at 6:56 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

Never even see Beretta 92's mentioned any more in gun mags, they used to be popular and often an article or two.

I've put over 60,000 rounds through my 92FS Inox and it still cleans up and feels like its new.

Is there any popularity for them in the US anymore?

I qualified on the Beretta when I was in Military Police School.  Very well made, very accurate, but a rather large gun with a large grip that not all shooters can get there hands around.  It was originally designed in 1975 with some of the design features taken from Beretta's made in  1923 & 1951.

Once the polymer framed guns started making a serious impact in civilian and law enforcement use here in the USA, the older all metal guns fell out of favor.  Using a Glock 17 as an example compared to the original M92, the Glock holds 2 more rounds, weighs 10 oz less empty, is a half inch shorter in length and isn't as wide

I have a new Beretta 92X FS compact, which is the new frame that is the Langdon and Beretta redesign.  

The Vertek frame and Langdon trigger work make for a sweet shooting (8 lb da / 4 lb sa ) pistol!  

I’m in the process of converting mine to a DeCocker only, and installing night sights, easier now that the front and rear sight are dovetail mounted.  

with the 15 round magazines the pistol fits in the same envelope as a Glock 19 but to me is much more accurate and reliable and frankly comfortable to shoot. 

I’ve always loved the Beretta for its shoot-ability and accuracy, these new versions take it one step beyond.  It is now my preferred carry gun 6 to 9 months of the year!

I suggest checking one out!

SC

The decocker only change makes a huge difference.

I have one for 20+ years and love shooting it. For some reason I have very little issue with it even though I have little bitty woman hands. More than I can say for most of the cruchentickers. Shoots like a house afire. It's my wife's favorite pistol and her hands if anything are smaller than mine. I've seen her bullseye many a bowling pin and they're a pretty challenging target. She used it when she shot for her LTC, IIRC she scored 436/500. Qualification is 350 here. She likes it cuz she shoots good with it and the slide is easier to rack than most any of my autos. I don't remember it EVER jamming. Only fault is it has pretty skimpy 3 dot sights. Wish it had bigger more visible ones, but it doesn't. Would not be my first choice in a real gunfight, but I wouldn't be worried too much about it. It puts them right down the middle easily, and you could do worse. Kinda big for concealed carry, but nothing's perfect. They're still around n

My 2 cents,

JHC

7 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I have one for 20+ years and love shooting it. For some reason I have very little issue with it even though I have little bitty woman hands. More than I can say for most of the cruchentickers. Shoots like a house afire. It's my wife's favorite pistol and her hands if anything are smaller than mine. I've seen her bullseye many a bowling pin and they're a pretty challenging target. She used it when she shot for her LTC, IIRC she scored 436/500. Qualification is 350 here. She likes it cuz she shoots good with it and the slide is easier to rack than most any of my autos. I don't remember it EVER jamming. Only fault is it has pretty skimpy 3 dot sights. Wish it had bigger more visible ones, but it doesn't. Would not be my first choice in a real gunfight, but I wouldn't be worried too much about it. It puts them right down the middle easily, and you could do worse. Kinda big for concealed carry, but nothing's perfect. They're still around n

My 2 cents,

JHC

Maybe try the ultra thin grips wilson combat sells for that model.  I put them on mine and it fit my hand better, though before it was fine, and now my 10 year old can grip it right.  

When I retired from the National Guard, my retirement gift to myself was an M9. I added some wooden grips with laser engraving. I won't modify that particular model beyond that. I also have an Inbox that is decock only which is a good thing. I would love to try out the 92X like @ShadowCatcher mentioned, but haven't had the opportunity as of yet.

As an aside, I also have an 85FS that I often carry, and a Px-4 Storm that I love shooting. I've contemplated a decock only for the Storm, and would love to get one of the Compact Carry models.

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

When I retired from the National Guard, my retirement gift to myself was an M9. I added some wooden grips with laser engraving. I won't modify that particular model beyond that. I also have an Inbox that is decock only which is a good thing. I would love to try out the 92X like @ShadowCatcher mentioned, but haven't had the opportunity as of yet.

As an aside, I also have an 85FS that I often carry, and a Px-4 Storm that I love shooting. I've contemplated a decock only for the Storm, and would love to get one of the Compact Carry models.

The new very straight frame, with the thin G10 grips gets fairly close to a 1911 in general feel, albeit still not as slim.  For my med size hands its fantastic, and much more ergonomic than anything but a 1911.  Beretta includes both a one piece curved grip set that emulates the original grip shape and size, as well as a pair of flat panels for those who want to reduce total grip circumference. 

Fair warning notice:  If you like or even just tolerate the Beretta grip, the new ones will knock your socks off, which may lead to unplanned expenditures.

I'm getting rid of my Glock (G34) as this gun out shoots it even with a 4.25 bbl.  I'm keeping my G43 for summer carry, that thing is so tiny!

With the wide open breech face (almost 180 degrees) and the flat feeding from the magazine into the non-tipping barrel the darn thing will feed and cleanly eject

just about anything you can stuff in a mag, similar to a 1873 rifle. 

I was just watching some reviews of the 85FS and it appeals to me as a great .380, maybe someday in the future just for S&G's.

Stay safe!

Shadow Catcher

IMG_4915-1.jpg

My neighbor has her dads old Beretta 96 in .40 cal. It was his duty weapon. He was a local policeman. They carried 40’s back in the 70’s I guess. Great gun!!

Archived