SASS Wire Forum

Can you tame a racoon?

Buckshot Bear

9 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

9 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Oops!

20200803_161526.jpg

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Hate to be a spelling fascist but we are talking about raccoons aren't we. Buckshot, do they have raccoons down under?

Also, we say "Down Under". Do ya'll say "Up Yonder"?

No, no raccoons here. 

I've never even seen one in a zoo here. 

Up Yonder... Never heard that used..... But we should :)

Raccoons are smart little bastages. 
When camping I used to used a heavy duty plastic box for dry goods, breads, chips and such. I put cast iron cookware on top at night so the coons didn’t get into it. They found a way in by somehow getting the cast iron cookware off the box. I woke up to clanging then ran them off. I got up and put a chunk of log on the box and then was kept awake all night listening to those little bastages trying to find a way into the box. 
The next day I got a pack of firecrackers out of my truck and put them in the tent. 
That night they came back. 3 of them. I tossed a fire cracker out next to the box and BLAM! They were off to the races and they didn’t return. 

I have had so many incidents with raccoons I can’t even count them. Ornery little creatures that are entertaining up to a point. 

Raccoons are hosts for the Bayliascaris roundworm, which can infect other pets and humans.  While uncommon, human Baylisascaris infections involve the parasite migrating into other tissues such as the eyes and brain.  Not pretty.  When I was a veterinarian in private practice, I refused to handle the few raccoons I was offered to examine.  So, the risk of rabies, while real, is not the only health risk.

Raccoons also have large teeth, and know how to use them.  I did have occasional visits to coonhounds who lost an argument with a raccoon while hunting!  They are not animals that I want around me or my family. 

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Raccoons are hosts for the Baylisascaris roundworm, which can infect other pets and humans.  While uncommon, human Baylisascaris infections involve the parasite migrating into other tissues such as the eyes and brain.  Not pretty.  When I was a veterinarian in private practice, I refused to handle the few raccoons I was offered to examine.  So, the risk of rabies, while real, is not the only health risk.

Raccoons also have large teeth, and know how to use them.  I did have occasional visits to coonhounds who lost an argument with a raccoon while hunting!  They are not animals that I want around me or my family. 

Think of a 20lb rat. They are a destructive nuisance around any farm. They can break into anything and do.  What they don't eat or carry off they contaminate.  Destructive to crops. They are difficult to trap being very intelligent and clever. 

11 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

They can do a number on a dog, too. 

Big boar raccoons are not something to mess with.   Grew up with some folks that raised coon dogs and they all claimed that they lost a dog once to a boar raccoon that led the pack into a pond, turned on them while in the water and drown one dog while mauling 2 others.  Considering these were world champion blood line Tree Walkers, that's saying a LOT.

Depends on how the dog is trained.  

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I'd hate to be a raccoon in the US, sounds like you guys hate them that much you'd wipe 'em all out if you had the chance to.

Impossible.  We took 150 out of a farm one year.  They continued coming around and the population came back.

Yes, racoons can be kept as pets if raised from a baby.  Train them to obey like any other pet, not to be destructive.  Train them to do tricks and fetch a beer.  Have to tell visitors to leave their dog at home.

7 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I'd hate to be a raccoon in the US, sounds like you guys hate them that much you'd wipe 'em all out if you had the chance to.

Use to be they were hunted for their fur and some for food as they have fat like bears. But the fur trade has been hampered by treaties and fashion trends.  Coons have adapted well to urban areas where they thrive and multiple.   

Maybe Australia needs a breeding population introduced?

There are tame grizzlies on TV shows and movies.  Circus performers tame lions and tigers.  Arnold was a tame pig on Green Acres.  However, a large percentage of attempts to tame these creatures seem to end in soiled carpets or serious bodily injury.  While scars do make for interesting conversations years later, racoons would probably hold similar disappointments.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Yes

1 hour ago, Joke 'um said:

There are tame grizzlies on TV shows and movies.  Circus performers tame lions and tigers.  Arnold was a tame pig on Green Acres.  However, a large percentage of attempts to tame these creatures seem to end in soiled carpets or serious bodily injury.  While scars do make for interesting conversations years later, racoons would probably hold similar disappointments.

Scars do lead to interesting conversations...see this scar? I was attacked by a grizzly or lion or tiger, your choice. The gals...Oh, how terrible, you must be brave.

Now substitute grizzly with raccoon. The gals...Oh, how terrible, you must be a dumbass.

Now substitute grizzly with Arnold. The gals...Oh, you're terrible, you must be a real dumbass that Arnold hated you that much. The only good thing about being attacked by Arnold is that you would have plenty of bacon afterward.

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Yes, yes we would and no one would miss them either.

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Think of a 20lb rat. They are a destructive nuisance around any farm. They can break into anything and do.  What they don't eat or carry off they contaminate.  Destructive to crops. They are difficult to trap being very intelligent and clever. 

These traps are fantastic, get some cheap tuna and a bag of marshmallows. Pack some tuna in the bottom and put the marshmallow on the trigger. You won’t catch dogs or cats with it . The only thing I have ever caught besides a coon in it was a opossum 

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/insect-and-animal-control/animal-traps/8681074?x429=true&msclkid=f43d953a13f91a004196f4748272d41f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLAs_FF4-Home-Preservation_Lawn-and-Garden_Other_Other_Other&utm_term=4582214716834481&utm_content=Lawn-and-Garden_Insect-and-Animal-Control_Other_Other&gclid=f43d953a13f91a004196f4748272d41f&gclsrc=3p.ds

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I was actually given a couple of these traps from a vendor at a farm show some 30 years ago.  We didn't have a need for them then so passed them on to a farmer who was plagued with racoon.  

17 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

They are difficult to trap being very intelligent and clever. 

Racoons are one of the easiest animals to trap.  Brace with 1 inch bit, large chunk of wood and hammer 4 horse shoe nails and a pea sized ball of aluminum foil is all it takes.  

Drill a 4 to 6 inch deep hole in a fallen tree at a slight angle. Insert the nails at an angle so that the tips poke into the hole about 1 inch below the opening.

Coon comes along and see the shiny foil. reaches in and grabs it. Now the coons fist will not come out of the hole. Coon will not let go of the foil.

You can also use a piece of food as long as it will not squeeze out of the coons hand. Fish heads or piece of meat work well. Marshmallows and peanut butter do not. Just be aware that food will also attract ants, rats, mice and the occasional bird and they will get stuck in the hole also.  

Check your local laws as in some states these type of traps are illegal.

story.lead_photo.caption

I've had my problems with them for years. Trash cans, no problem, they're in. Bird feeders, oh yeah!. Suet cages, no problem, they made off with three of them one winter. I managed to rig the cages so they can't take off with them or open them, but they still manage to get the suet out anyway. Next door neighbors set food out for them, one was so  not scared that it would go up on their front porch with them sitting there. :blink::blush:

We raised up several growing up.  My grandmother raised several as well. Yes they can be pets.  They are trainable.   Affectionate,  but strong willed.   The longest we had one was 7 years.  It's like raising a really large cat.  They have a mind and  will of their own.  They can and will cuddle when they want.    And you better believe they will get into any cupboard or fridge that isn't locked 

Had one as a kid.  He would ride in the basket of my bike when I delivered papers.  Would fish in your shirt pockets for what I never did know.  We had dogs and cats around, he never bothered them.  

On 9/25/2021 at 12:10 AM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

No you can't tame a racoon.  Just ask Rocket from Guardians of the Galaxy.

EBC1840_v228.1047-eb60675.jpg

"I am not a raboon"

Archived