SASS Wire Forum

Can you tame a racoon?

Buckshot Bear

My wife’s grandfather had a tamed pet raccoon. I never saw it, but saw photos and heard stories. 

I think he got it when someone ran over the momma and family with a car and it was the surviving pup. He brought it home and raised it. 

20 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

I tamed a rabid coon that was stumbling across the yard in front of our cabin in the woods in the middle of the day.  I think it was a "9mm tamer."

Had one playing peekaboo around the base of the pear tree a couple of years ago about 1 in the afternoon.  He was sitting behind the tree just swaying back and forth. 

A load of #1 Buck from the housegun took care of the issue handily.

Nasty animals. They don't call them trash pandas for nothing. Nothing but a nuisance around here. It is a wild animal, not a pet. Did I happen to mention I don't like raccoons. They kill my cats. Trust me, it's an ugly thing if they find a litter of kittens.

Seriously, raccoons are WILD animals.  What about the word "WILD" do people not understand?  And among the furry critters we are most likely to come across, raccoons are the second most likely to carry rabies (behind only bats), whether they are actually sick or not.  Why would anyone invite a raccoon into the house?

Just now, Snakebite said:

They are vicious and very destructive. If ypu want a pet get yourself a dog.

Which can also be vicious and very destructive and have the ability to get pi$$ed off and strike out if the mood hits them.

Not advocating having a racoon as a pet but I'll let 'ol Murphy take care of people that want "exotic" pets.

And truthfully, I don't care if a person gets something like that and keeps it.  What upsets me is when they get something like that and then figure out that they can't control it (happens with dogs all the time, too) and just turn them loose.

Some people keep skunks as pets too but that don't mean they're what we've come to sanely define as "pets".

Never could figure people keeping spiders and snakes as "pets" either.

At least a racoon looks cuddly. :D

Why would want to tame a racoon when there are plenty of abandoned dogs and cats that make perfect pets! Racoons are nasty disgusting animals! I shoot e'm with my BB gun because I can't discharge a firearm where I live. I can't shoot a bb gun either but no one knows except my next door neighbor and he's cool about it.

43 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Nasty animals. They don't call them trash pandas for nothing. Nothing but a nuisance around here. It is a wild animal, not a pet. Did I happen to mention I don't like raccoons. They kill my cats.

They can do a number on a dog, too. 

Big boar raccoons are not something to mess with.   Grew up with some folks that raised coon dogs and they all claimed that they lost a dog once to a boar raccoon that led the pack into a pond, turned on them while in the water and drown one dog while mauling 2 others.  Considering these were world champion blood line Tree Walkers, that's saying a LOT.

To answer the OP question, just ask the "Raccoon Whisperer".

One of my fraternity brothers had one (named Pancho Villa).  After a couple of months the house mother said the coon goes or she goes.  She was a wonderful cook and kept the guys in line.

The coon went to the little local zoo.

7 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

To answer the OP question, just ask the "Raccoon Whisperer".

One day one of those racoons will be in a bad mood and the racoon whisperer will be no more.

Guy I work with has a cabin by a lake.  His kids started feeding the squirrels potato chips out of their hands eventually they could pet them and had named most of them. This went on for several years till one day they decided to feed them pecans because the chips were not exactly healthy. Turns out pecans are worse than crack when squirrels are involved. the squirrels started biting anything that the pecans had touched. His kids had to jump in the lake to escape and before the weekend was over they had to shoot several of the squirrels to keep them from attacking someone in their mad craze for more pecans.

It took thousands of years for dogs and cats to be domesticated. No way a wild animal can truly  be domesticated. Even if they act tame they have instinctive reactions for survival that cannot be eliminated.

7 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Can you tame a racoon? Can you keep one as a pet?

They are just the most wonderful looking cutest animal.

Yes, they can be mostly tamed

They should not be kept as a pet and definitely not by the average person.  At their core they remain a wild animal who chooses to allow themselves to be partially domesticated because the human provides food & shelter.

As to cute, that is subjective, although in general I find raccoons cute & funny.

7 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Can you tame a racoon? Can you keep one as a pet?

They are just the most wonderful looking cutest animal.

I know several people who have had coons as pets. My brother's girlfriend has one right now. 

That said, they were all abandoned babies when found and raised from little bitty. I doubt you could tame an adult wild coon. 

1 hour ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

In addition to kiittens, first and foremost coons are the worst enemy of nesting birds ever devised by the creator.

They will also kill and eat fawns in the spring in the first couple of weeks after their birth . Pound for pound they are good little fighters and hell on the turkey population 

I "tamed" many of them with a .22 when I lived on a dead end road that had a mile of swamp behind me. After "taming" 50 or 60 of the little bastards, they finally stopped getting into my garbage and trying to get in my attic. Can't speak for other areas, but in Florida if there is a rabies outbreak...you can bet that racoons are involved.

4 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

They will also kill and eat fawns in the spring in the first couple of weeks after their birth . Pound for pound they are good little fighters and hell on the turkey population 

Heck,  they are savage fighters!  People say they are glad mink aren't any bigger but I'm glad coons aren't in the 150 lb class as we'ed all be in trouble.

36 minutes ago, Go West said:

From what I understand, you can tame one until it grows up. 

Buddy of mine had one years ago he got as a baby. Was OK for awhile but as she grew up she got mean. He lived in the country and she eventually ran away and never came back.

JHC

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

I "tamed" many of them with a .22 when I lived on a dead end road that had a mile of swamp behind me. After "taming" 50 or 60 of the little bastards, they finally stopped getting into my garbage and trying to get in my attic. Can't speak for other areas, but in Florida if there is a rabies outbreak...you can bet that racoons are involved.

Miserable little b@$turds. Around here they are SOS.... shoot on sight. Tore apart the screening over the windows on my storage shed last winter and destroyed $1,500 worth of pasture grass seed for spring planting, got on the roof of our old house (used only to store old belongings, not live in), tore a hole through the wood shingles and let enough rain/snow in to destroy an entire room full of clothing, sewing machines, furniture, (even damaged the floorboards), tore up our neighbors dog bad enough they had to put the dog down, (cuts and bites to the bone and flesh on the face ripped off). Only good raccoon is a dead one:angry:

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

17 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Miserable little b@$turds. Around here they are SOS.... shoot on sight. Tore apart the screening over the windows on my storage shed last winter and destroyed $1,500 worth of pasture grass seed for spring planting, got on the roof of our old house (used only to store old belongings, not live in), tore a hole through the wood shingles and let enough rain/snow in to destroy an entire room full of clothing, sewing machines, furniture, (even damaged the floorboards), tore up our neighbors dog bad enough they had to put the dog down, (cuts and bites to the bone and flesh on the face ripped off). Only good raccoon is a dead one:angry:

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

This times 10,000%.

Archived