SASS Wire Forum

Beef Stroganoff

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I love that stuff if it's done right.  The only restaurant in the whole area that did a really good job of it folded over year ago.  Since then I have tried frozen, refrigerated, canned, dry packaged, bagged, bottled, and some I have attempted to make it myself.  NONE OF IT WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR RACCOON FOOD!  Most of it wasn't even as good as original Hamburger Helper

Does anyone have a good recipe for me?  

Here's the one we use for a sort of guideline:

Beef Stroganoff Recipe

Ingredients

For the Beef Stroganoff:

1 lb top sirloin steak thinly sliced into strips

2 Tbsp olive oil

2 Tbsp butter

1/2 medium onion finely chopped

1/2 lb brown mushrooms thickly sliced

1 garlic cloves minced

1 Tbsp all-purpose flour

1 cup beef broth

3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

1/4 cup sour cream

1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp dijon mustard

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

To Serve:

1 Tbsp green onion to garnish

8-12 oz egg noodles to serve

Instructions

Place a large deep pan or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 2 Tbsp oil and once oil is very hot, add thinly sliced beef strips in a single layer, cooking 1 minute per side without stirring. Cook until until just browned and no longer red. Sear beef in 2 batches so you don't overcrowd the pan. Remove beef to a plate and cover to keep warm.

Add 2 Tbsp butter, chopped onion and sliced mushrooms. Sautee 6-8 minutes or until liquid has evaporated and onions and mushrooms are soft and lightly browned.

Add 1 minced garlic clove and saute' 1 minute until fragrant. Add 1 Tbsp flour and sautee another minute stirring constantly.

Pour in 1 cups beef broth, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan then add 3/4 cup whipping cream and simmer another 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Stir a few Tablespoons of the sauce into 1/4 cup of sour cream to temper it so the sour cream doesn’t curdle then add it to the pan while stirring constantly.

Stir in 1 Tbsp Worcestershire, 1/2 tsp dijon mustard, and season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, or season to taste and continue simmering until sauce is creamy. Add beef with any accumulated juices back to the pan and bring just to a simmer or until beef is heated through

I use this Beef Stroganoff recipe.  My wife loves it when I fix this dish.  I like it also.

Beef Stroganoff

Ingredients

·      1½ pounds beef sirloin steak, ½ inch think

·      8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (2½ cups)

·      1 large or 2 medium onions thinly sliced

·      1 garlic clove, finely chopped

·      ¼ cup butter

·      1½ cups Beef Broth

·      ½ teaspoon salt

·      1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

·      ¼ cup all-purpose flour

·      1½ cups sour cream

·      3 cups hot cooked egg noodles

Directions

1.   Cut beef across grain into about 1½ x ½-inch strips

2.   Cook mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter in 12-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender; remove from skillet.

3.   Cook beef in same skillet until brown.

4.   Stir in 1 cup of beef broth, the salt and Worcestershire sauce.  Heat to boiling; reduce heat.  Cover and simmer 15 minutes.

5.   Stir remaining ½ cup broth into flour; stir into beef mixture…

6.   Add onion mixture; heat to boiling, stirring constantly.  Boil and stir 1 minute.

7.   Stir in sour cream; heat until hot (do not boil).

8.   Serve over egg noodles.

I'll try them both.....once I do the math to cut the portions down.  Too much food for one guy.

I had a mess sergeant when I was a company commander.  We ran a "transient mess hall", one of a dozen or so on the island, open around the clock for anyone passing through Okinawa.  MSgt Waddles was a genuine chef who could have been famous working in a fancy big city restaurant.

Anyway, we had a "supplemental rations fund" that allowed him and his Okinawan wife to buy from some approved sources on the local economy.

Thanksgiving out new commanding general visited all the mess halls and Waddles put on a show.  Before he left the General (knowing that we were allowed to disregard the official Army cook book) asked for his recipe for turkey dressing.  Waddles said,"Sir, I'll have it to your office first thing tomorrow morning, but you'll have to do the math.  I don't know how to make it for less than a hundred eighty five men."

The General "borrowed" him for special occasions a half dozen times after that and turned the Fort Bucker Officers Club dining room over to him.  I was told that he also paid him under the table for the extra service.

5 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Ha!!  None of the above.  Yer all using the WRONG meat.  Stroganoff is ONLY made with Fillet Minion.  Nuff Said.

Colorado, that is the one change I make to my recipe above. Wife much prefers me using fillet minion. 

Archived