SASS Wire Forum

Wow, I was shocked!

Waxahachie Kid #17017 L

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I pay $4.85 a gallon for Hi-Test 91 octane. Yes, in Commieland, sorry, California, the highest octane you can get is 91 due to California’s regulations. Here’s the kicker. In AZ the high octane gas is also 91 octane. But, it’s $1.00-$1.50 cheaper per gallon AND it’s the same formula of gasoline that is sold in California because it’s pipelined to AZ from CA. 

And I don’t care what your political affiliation is, the flippin’ facts are that since January of 2021 prices in everything have gone up. Hmmm…let’s see, what happened in January of 2021 that may have changed things? (Hypothetical question)

In February 2016, the average price of a gallon of gasoline, all grades, all formulations, was $1.87 according to the US Energy Information Administration.  In May 2019, it was $2.94 according to the USEIA, a rise of 57%.  What happened from February 2016 to May 2019?  (Hypothetical question.)  You all need to get a grip on reality, and learn some facts before pointing fingers.  In the United States, unlike in Russia, the President has very little real influence over the price of gasoline.   What happened since January 2020 is as much Biden's doing as the 57% rise was Trump's, which is to say, not much by either.  Moreover, the price was $3.10 a gallon when Obama was elected and on its way to an all-time high of $4.11 a few months later, and was $1.87 when Trump was elected.  So, by your logic, you voted Democrat in 2016, right? 

21 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

2021_09_23_11_18_17.thumb.jpg.e554085bf86e5e109bfbe9d9b60ca2e2.jpg

I must be really OLD, I remember $0.25/gal when I was a kid. Here in the Sandhills of NC we are currently paying $2.89/gal. That will not hold over the whole state I am sure.

CJ

3 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

ut fundamentally, American demand for gasoline drives American gasoline price at the pump

But demand is down because people aren't driving to work. The government has created a whole new way to count not count the unemployed. Our gas prices went up $1.50 in 3 months. The middle of winter when demand was down.

What's an average annual wage/salary in the US?

Edit: I just googled (if the info is correct) it looks like the US is around $50,000 a year and Australia is $100,000 a year. That doesn't make our petrol prices that we pay as horrid as I thought.

On 9/23/2021 at 10:27 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

I remember gas for $0.23 a gallon when I was in high school and as little as $0.19 a gallon during the frequent “gas wars” back then.  I could drive all week and go to the lake or the drags on the weekend for $5.00 and have gas to make it to school on Monday!!

I stopped at my favorite gas station in the early '50s and filled up my '39 Chevy.

There was an intense gas war in progress and the station owner was showing his disgust.

I paid $.09 a gallon. He pumped his tanks dry and closed the station until folks came back to their senses.

I remember the gas staton attendants putting gas in your tank and checking the oil and washing your windows! All for .30 cents a gallon.:D

On 9/23/2021 at 7:46 PM, Buckshot Bob said:

At first I thought maybe it was all tax , but that’s not it 

And government officials talk about how greedy the oil companies are . Many states have to be making more off a gallon of gas than anyone else in the chain 

Gas-Tax-July-2020-FV-01.png

That is the "delivered" tax. In CA there is sales tax on that tax.

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That is the "delivered" tax. In CA there is sales tax on that tax.

Tax the tax , wow . It always astounds me when government officials talk about people and corporations being greedy 

6 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Tax the tax , wow . It always astounds me when government officials talk about people and corporations being greedy 

Yep.  The sales tax is on the "delivered price" so all the state and federal taxes that go into the delivered price are taxed.

Oh... let's not forget this li'l nugget:

California is considering a VMT tax - "Vehicle Miles Travelled."  Rumblings are that it will be 2¢ to 4¢ per mile travelled.  Supposedly, this will "replace" some or all of current state fuel taxes.  Don't count on it.  <_<

And remember!  Good ol' Pete Buttigieg, the Transportation secretary and front man for the administration, sez the Feds need to do the same.  :(

https://fortune.com/2021/03/26/biden-mileage-tax-increase-proposal-buttigieg-transportation-strategy/ 

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

California is considering a VMT tax - "Vehicle Miles Travelled."  Rumblings are that it will be 2¢ to 4¢ per mile travelled.  Supposedly, this will "replace" some or all of current state fuel taxes.  Don't count on it.  <_<

And remember!  Good ol' Pete Buttigieg, the Transportation secretary and front man for the administration, sez the Feds need to do the same.  :(

https://fortune.com/2021/03/26/biden-mileage-tax-increase-proposal-buttigieg-transportation-strategy/ 

Yep.  All the fuel efficiency standards and more hybrids & EVs out there are starting to cut into the revenue.  They have to make it up somehow.

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Yep.  All the fuel efficiency standards and more hybrids & EVs out there are starting to cut into the revenue.  They have to make it up somehow.

Indeed.

But it doesn't take much of a leap of imagination to picture the sneaky booger wethers leaving the fuel taxes in place in toto... this would have a double effect - collection of the taxes with the benefit of driving (no pun intended) us horrid fossil-fuel burners into electric vehicles.

Oh - a side thought:  California currently (that's a pun!) imports about a third of the electricity used in the state.  Our one nuke is slated for shutdown, there will be no new hydroelectric facilities, and natural gas is fast becoming a no-no (already outlawed for new structures in some cities).  Don't even think about coal.  Or anything else that burns.

That pretty much leaves solar.  Emperor Newsom has already crafted regulation requiring all new homes to be built with solar panels.  I doubt that'll make much of a dent in our energy deficit, and we already have the most expensive electricity in the land.  

I can see us burning soy candles so his new electric train can run.  :(

15 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

California is considering a VMT tax - "Vehicle Miles Travelled." 

This would be on top of the existing extra $100 per year for driving an electric car.

And reading this:

https://www.myev.com/research/interesting-finds/states-that-charge-extra-fees-to-own-an-electric-vehicle

It is not just California. My own state (Tennessee) charges (adds) the same to register an EV. Registering my gas vehicles cost about $32 a year including the on-line credit card "convenience" fee.

I remember the registration fees I used to pay in California; I think the cheapest was $90+ for a 1970 Chevy pickup. But that was a few years ago, before I moved to the United States.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:29 PM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

All I know is the gas prices here locally went down to an all time low under Trump. $2.29/G Dec. 2020

This ^^^
January 10, 2021

Filled both cars, six 5 gallon fuel cans all with gasoline…. Pump price was $1.79 per gallon with my $1.00 grocery store discount actual price was .79 per gallon. 70 gallons = $55.93. Next day fueled my truck (diesel), (pump price $1.89 minus my $1.00 discount) and seven 5 gallon cans. 70 gallons = $62.93. Total for three vehicles (98 in vehicles plus 42 gallons in storage) = $118.86.

Two weeks ago filled truck plus four 5 gallon cans. Pump price $3.39 minus $1.00 discount = $131.95 (55 gallons).

Don’t want to hear another “economics” expert tell me about how everything is Trumps fault and poor Biden is not responsible for anything.:angry: :angry: :angry:

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Back in the day, when our federal government decided to introduce the goods and services tax (gst), we were told it would replace, amongst other things, sales tax. BUT it didn't apply to petrol and diseasel because the sales tax on them was an "excise" and not sales tax. ..... so we now pay gst (10%) on the sales tax (which doesn't exist) on every litre of petrol or diseasel we use.

At the time we were paying something like 38% in taxes for fuels and now we also have "greenhouse gases" contributions as well.

This was the same prime minister who started our wonderful firearms laws <_<

12 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

BUT it didn't apply to petrol and diseasel because the sales tax on them was an "excise" and not sales tax

Don't you love that semantic shell game?  "Oh!  This thing that acts like a tax is really a FEE!  So you aren't REALLY paying a tax on the goods!" or, as in your example, "No,no! We called it an excise tax because we said we won't increase the SALES tax! So it is clearly something different!"

I can't remember what it was for, but to get around the two-thirds required to impose a new tax our California Legislature got in the habit of calling taxes fees.  Of course, now the have gotten rid of the two-thirds requirements.

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

BUT it didn't apply to petrol and diseasel because the sales tax on them was an "excise" and not sales tax. ..... so we now pay gst (10%) on the sales tax (which doesn't exist) on every litre of petrol or diseasel we use.

Had to look that one up. Is "diseasel" commonly used in OZ?

7 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Had to look that one up. Is "diseasel" commonly used in OZ?

Trucks and tractors and a few cars run on diseasel fuel. It is very common.

In New South Wales quite a few years ago we had a government imposed tax to raise funds to fix roads.

They called it the "3x3" and was to be 3cents/litre for 3 years, that was about 40 years ago and I believe it's still being imposed on us ...... now it's the "3x3x3x3x3......x3" :blink:

On 9/24/2021 at 6:59 AM, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

It would be refreshing once in a while for people to investigate cause and effect instead of blowing hot air about this politician or that one, regardless of which way the hot air blows.  Remember Hurricane IDA?  Remember Hurricane SEASON?  Remember LABOR DAY?  Hurricane IDA was expected to lead to a five- to 15-cent per gallon rise in retail gasoline prices, and did worse than that.  A major hurricane disrupts gasoline refining and distribution for days, weeks, or sometimes months, and IDA did just that.   In fact, IDA was forecast to result in new peak retail gasoline prices for 2021.  The worst-case scenario was several weeks of power outages at refineries -- and it happened.  And right on IDA's heels, TS NICOLAS dumped a ton of additional water on coastal Texas and Louisiana refineries.  Moreover, gasoline demand traditionally peaks in the United States around Labor Day, so Hurricane Season combines with traditional annually recurring peak demand to create "a perfect storm" of highest demand and supply disruption.  Prices at the pump will drop as fall and winter come on, demand drops, and refinery operations get back to normal -- it happens every single year in the absence of some external geopolitical shock.  Of course there are other external factors such as changes in federal and state fuel tax rates, and inflation generally, but these factors are typically gradual and more difficult to notice in the short term.  If you REALLY want to give yourself a headache and complain about prices, think about the fact that BNSF restricted and at times stopped taking loaded trains from Port Los Angeles/Long Beach to Chicago (the main US distribution hub for inbound international freight) more than two months ago due to lack of capacity at the Chicago terminal.  There are more cargo ships now at the anchorage waiting to be offloaded than at any time in history, and it is getting worse every day.  The US has failed to invest in the infrastructure required to support The American Way of Life, so everything will get more expensive.  There is no free lunch.

Yes wouldn't have anything to do with Creepy Joe shutting down the pipe line and giving Russia's pipeline the blessing. Or making it harder for American oil companies to get and hold leases to drill. Or the fact he would rather put American's out of work and put America last while importing oil that we could easily drill ourselves.

Just like you said cause and effect. Cause a idiot was put in office the effect is all of our prices and taxes will go sky high to pay for their unyielding spending and printing of money without regard to the people or our country.

7 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Is it the same as "diesel" fuel or a blend. 

Here is what I found when I looked it up:

image.png.a41ef4ac63030ac2e9770e0227106761.png

DANG!!!!! ........ I is been'd founded out ...... :o

'Tis from Thomas the Tank Engine, and is exactly where I got it from ....... my son loved that show when he was little .....   :wub:

Archived