SASS Wire Forum

Wow, I was shocked!

Waxahachie Kid #17017 L

Just watched a news cast that stated in California, there is a gasoline station charging $6.78 per gallon for regular unleaded. 

I was shocked !!!  :blink:

Is this normal in some sections of the country? Are there gas stations charging more than that? 

What do you pay? 

I got gas yesterday at $2.65.9 / gal. I thought that was robbery. Turns out, I guess I don't know what real robbery is. 

Holy Cow.

... around here UnLeaded Petrol (yes, that is it's correct name ;)) goes for about $1.55/litre ........

.....  about 6bucks / short gallon .... :mellow:

............. and Diseasel is dearer ... :(

$3.49 gallon at the reservation station $4.59 at two off reservation stations in town. 

$2.69 just south of Little Rock on the way to CAC on Tuesday.

$2.74 just outside of Nashville Tuesday before I left!

I missed a station selling for $2.65 in Little Rock and gas is a nickel or more cheaper some places in Middle Tennessee.  

It was $2.83 here in Texas when I got into town.  We’ll see what it looks like on Sunday morning when I head back home!

I remember gas for $0.23 a gallon when I was in high school and as little as $0.19 a gallon during the frequent “gas wars” back then.  I could drive all week and go to the lake or the drags on the weekend for $5.00 and have gas to make it to school on Monday!!

Not that he's to blame, of course, but gasoline price has risen more than a third since "Common Sense Joe" stepped in - at least in these parts.  

Has anyone else noticed a steady increase in the cost of groceries over the same period...?  :huh:

Oh!  And we fortunate souls in the larger part of California are advised that our electricity is going up 18% this year, plus another 4% in the next year or so. 

Right now, summertime electric bills in this area seem to be about $250 to over $500 a month for an average family.  I received an email "alert" today warning me that my bill is expected to be $140 this month... I live alone, do not leave lights on in rooms not occupied... use a swamp cooler instead of my A/C... but I do cook on an electric stove, although I grill outdoors quite a bit.  :(

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Not that he's to blame, of course, but gasoline price has risen more than a third since "Common Sense Joe" stepped in - at least in these parts.  

although I grill outdoors quite a bit.  :(

Inflation started with the COVID giveaways, just took time to ripple through the system.

propane or charcoal? (Is charcoal allowed?). What do you pay for propane?

5 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

... around here UnLeaded Petrol (yes, that is it's correct name ;)) goes for about $1.55/litre ........

.....  about 6bucks / short gallon .... :mellow:

............. and Diseasel is dearer ... :(

Yep :(

11 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Inflation started with the COVID giveaways, just took time to ripple through the system.

propane or charcoal? (Is charcoal allowed?). What do you pay for propane?

Charcoal - hang the greenies!  There's so much smoke in the air my Weber won't matter.

Propane - which I use for heat and hot water - is typically at its lowest price in September, and I believe can be had now for  $2 - $3 a gallon bulk price.  Maybe lower in some places... definitely higher in others. 

It would be refreshing once in a while for people to investigate cause and effect instead of blowing hot air about this politician or that one, regardless of which way the hot air blows.  Remember Hurricane IDA?  Remember Hurricane SEASON?  Remember LABOR DAY?  Hurricane IDA was expected to lead to a five- to 15-cent per gallon rise in retail gasoline prices, and did worse than that.  A major hurricane disrupts gasoline refining and distribution for days, weeks, or sometimes months, and IDA did just that.   In fact, IDA was forecast to result in new peak retail gasoline prices for 2021.  The worst-case scenario was several weeks of power outages at refineries -- and it happened.  And right on IDA's heels, TS NICOLAS dumped a ton of additional water on coastal Texas and Louisiana refineries.  Moreover, gasoline demand traditionally peaks in the United States around Labor Day, so Hurricane Season combines with traditional annually recurring peak demand to create "a perfect storm" of highest demand and supply disruption.  Prices at the pump will drop as fall and winter come on, demand drops, and refinery operations get back to normal -- it happens every single year in the absence of some external geopolitical shock.  Of course there are other external factors such as changes in federal and state fuel tax rates, and inflation generally, but these factors are typically gradual and more difficult to notice in the short term.  If you REALLY want to give yourself a headache and complain about prices, think about the fact that BNSF restricted and at times stopped taking loaded trains from Port Los Angeles/Long Beach to Chicago (the main US distribution hub for inbound international freight) more than two months ago due to lack of capacity at the Chicago terminal.  There are more cargo ships now at the anchorage waiting to be offloaded than at any time in history, and it is getting worse every day.  The US has failed to invest in the infrastructure required to support The American Way of Life, so everything will get more expensive.  There is no free lunch.

Here in Sacramento, ARCO 87 is $4.09 even though the street sign says $3.99.
To get that lower price, you have to go inside and pay cash.
This means standing in line, etc, etc.  No thanks.

As a kid in the 60s in Boise, I do remember fueling my nifty, thrifty Honda 50 at $0.179 during the constant gas wars.
Our fuel prices in CA are like everything else:  very highly taxed.

4 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Here in Sacramento, ARCO 87 is $4.09 even though the street sign says $3.99.
To get that lower price, you have to go inside and pay cash.
This means standing in line, etc, etc.  No thanks.

As a kid in the 60s in Boise, I do remember fueling my nifty, thrifty Honda 50 at $0.179 during the constant gas wars.
Our fuel prices in CA are like everything else:  very highly taxed.

Highly taxed, sure, but only 43 cents more than here in Texas, where I paid $2.57 on Wednesday.  In California, every single other aspect of distribution also costs more: trucking expenses, regulatory compliance, gas station rent or property taxes, employee wages, state franchise tax, lots of other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head, everything.  All of that raises the price per gallon another dollar, at least.

FWIW - When I bought my first car gas was around 29¢. I had to use "hi-test" and that was 33¢. The least I ever paid for gas was 19¢. In NE Ohio it is averaging 2.89 to 3.09 right now.

13 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

FWIW - When I bought my first car gas was around 29¢. I had to use "hi-test" and that was 33¢. The least I ever paid for gas was 19¢. In NE Ohio it is averaging 2.89 to 3.09 right now.

Man you're old!!:P

5 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Man you're old!!:P

And your point is?:P

1 hour ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

And your point is?:P

I had a point but I forgot. I’m old too . 
I like bacon!!

59 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Apparently the highest gasoline price in the nation is $6.75.9 a gallon at Schlafer’s Auto Body & Repair. It is the only gas station in Mendocino, CA.

Yep.
Everything has to be trucked in there, including their water.
Wells are dry, so they import some 3300 gallons a week, according to an article I read.

It's a pretty spot, but quite remote.
Getting there requires braving the North Bay traffic jam... something I am no longer willing to tolerate.
Even coming in the back way from Sonoma, etc, is a log jam of traffic.

Our group wanted to make another trip, so we thought about Shasta-way... but fires are still burning up there, so we stay home.

3 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

It would be refreshing once in a while for people to investigate cause and effect instead of blowing hot air about this politician

So riddle me this. Dec. 2020 gas locally was $2.29/G. By June, 2021 it was $4.19/G no hurricanes, or major power outages then. All the US refineries were running.

Yes there was $.23/G gas but I remember having to work 2 hours to fill my tank. Prices without wages have no correlation to today.

We're averaging between $2.99 and $3.09/gal. here in Stark County, Ohio. I'm glad I'm running a small tank sipper. Even at that my last fill-up was $34.00, filling from an 1/8th of a tank on the gauge at the time.:(:blush:

I just paid $2.95 with a .10 discount from Giant Eagle. Regular price is $3.05 Most stations are $2.99-$3.09 Here in NE Ohio

I pay $4.85 a gallon for Hi-Test 91 octane. Yes, in Commieland, sorry, California, the highest octane you can get is 91 due to California’s regulations. Here’s the kicker. In AZ the high octane gas is also 91 octane. But, it’s $1.00-$1.50 cheaper per gallon AND it’s the same formula of gasoline that is sold in California because it’s pipelined to AZ from CA. 

And I don’t care what your political affiliation is, the flippin’ facts are that since January of 2021 prices in everything have gone up. Hmmm…let’s see, what happened in January of 2021 that may have changed things? (Hypothetical question)

It looks like it's actually 51.1¢ per gallon for the Emperor, on top of the 18.4¢ per gallon Fed tax - total 69.5¢ per gallon.  

But wait, folks!  There's more!!

In California, I believe we also pay sales tax on gasoline.  Sales tax, depending on location, can range from 71/4% to over 10%.  So, we're actually paying danged close to a buck a gallon in taxes.  A weekly 20-gallon fill-up could set ya back over a grand a year in taxes.

I think we have good cause to gripe.  :angry:

https://www.cbs8.com/article/traffic/gas-prices/californias-gas-tax-jump-july-1-2021/509-86620b17-378c-4e57-9e22-25eca17230b8

6 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

So riddle me this. Dec. 2020 gas locally was $2.29/G. By June, 2021 it was $4.19/G no hurricanes, or major power outages then. All the US refineries were running.

Yes there was $.23/G gas but I remember having to work 2 hours to fill my tank. Prices without wages have no correlation to today.

Look at the chart of gasoline prices every single year and you will see the very same trend.  Lowest prices in the winter, highest prices in the summer.  Many factors, not so simple to explain the finer fluctuations.  Companies bet billions on it, spend millions on some very fancy economists and computer power to get it right.  But fundamentally, American demand for gasoline drives American gasoline price at the pump.  It is called capitalism.

Archived