SASS Wire Forum

Winchester AA hull reloading

Sasparilla Groz

I have heard that Winchester AA hulls should only be reloaded once.  Can anyone tell me why that is (before I learn the hard way)

I have heard from others that they reload them multiple times.

I am new to shot shell reloading and wanting to learn.

What are your experiences?

I am sure someone will chime in with more info but it is my understanding that a few years ago winchester changed the AA hull.  The original hull was a one piece design and the new AA is a two piece.  I am sure it can probably be loaded more than once but probably not as many times as the old original hulls.   When I got back into shotgun reloading this change had taken place so I sources Remington STS and Nitro hulls to reload. 

26 minutes ago, Jack Spade said:

I am sure someone will chime in with more info but it is my understanding that a few years ago winchester changed the AA hull.  The original hull was a one piece design and the new AA is a two piece.  I am sure it can probably be loaded more than once but probably not as many times as the old original hulls.   When I got back into shotgun reloading this change had taken place so I sources Remington STS and Nitro hulls to reload. 

Mr Spade is correct about the newer AA hulls being a two piece design now.  I much preferred the original one piece hulls and they did last quite a bit longer.  However, in either case reloading them just once would be a waste.  Black powder loads may be a different story as they do tend to get scorched, but I've loaded smokeless at least a dozen times without issues.  Try not to mix the two hull designs as they do have a bit different load specs, especially with wad spacing.  I generally sort them by using a flashlight, (the two piece hulls have a cup installed in the bottom that shows up well with the flashlight) but I am now down to pretty much two piece hulls anyway.  If your going to reload them just once, then I'd be glad to give you a fair price for them as twice fired!

I would prefer Remington hulls, but I have a quantity of AA's so that is what I use. Load them until they split at the folds.

They also work better if you use a 3/4" deep socket or a checker/sizer tool to work the crimp end. My wife was having issues with some shells not feeding, but after using the sizer/checker she is having a more pleasant time.

SliX Shotshell Checker Sizer Combo

For my wife's 97, like many others, I reload the AA's until the pleats break down.  Her 97 will eat anything you feed it.

My SKB's, however, hate AA's and I now only use Remington STS or gold nitro hulls.  Even with Remingtons, I use a chamber checker for every round.  Sticking hulls in a SXS are very disconcerting.  

I always chuckle when people talk about the "new" or "newer" AA hulls.  It has been over 15 years since they started making the HS hulls.  That's about like saying anyone got in info on the new 2005 Chevy?

4 hours ago, Laramie said:

Reload them till they fall apart. 

Ditto!

I believe the refrence to only reloading them once is when using Black Powder.  The increased heat of Black Powder makes them brittle and crack much sooner than with smokeless.

I only reload black powder, and I have a few AA hulls that I've reloaded two or three times, but they definitely get fouled and rough after one or two BP loadings,  I now sort them after one BP loading and about half of them get tossed.

For BP if I am using a double it is one and done.  AAs and STSs are becoming harder to find.  What I and several other local BP shooters have used for several years are Remington Gun Club hulls.  The hull collection cans at the local trap ranges were full of them.  The secret is to make sure to properly size the steel head.  I use a Mec Supersizer.  Once the steel head is sized they shuck like greased lightning.  Problem right now is with the Remington Bankruptcy and the general ammo shortage even those are hard to find.  Remington ammo (a differnt company now than Remington Arms) is back up and running but I have not seen any new production Gun Clubs on the ranges yet.  The Gun Clubs are extruded hulls and are the same on the inside as an STS.

P.S.  This thing actually works.

Slix-Combo1.jpg

7 hours ago, Sasparilla Groz said:

I have heard that Winchester AA hulls should only be reloaded once.  Can anyone tell me why that is (before I learn the hard way)

I have heard from others that they reload them multiple times.

I am new to shot shell reloading and wanting to learn.

What are your experiences?

Groz, are you shooting Saturday or gonna be at the Boy Scout demo? I can show you and we can discuss as AAs are all I load (for now).

Thanks all!   This is great information!  I have a bunch of the AA hulls but only very few STS or Gun Club hulls.  I will be on the lookout for these.  I have picked out a few "scorched" AA hulls and will toss them away.  I sure don't want to get anything stuck in the SXS.

I will keep an eye out for splitting on the folds at the crimp end and use a chamber checker on each round.

Looking for a Mec Supersizer but have not run across one I can afford.

5 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Groz, are you shooting Saturday or gonna be at the Boy Scout demo? I can show you and we can discuss as AAs are all I load (for now).

Abilene - Looking forward to the shoot and helping out with the Boy Scout demo.  See you there!

but I have not seen any new production Gun Clubs on the ranges yet.

New Gun Clubs are showing up around NM.  The announced plans are that Vista Outdoors does not intend to change the lineup of "Remington Ammo" product lines.   So Gun Clubs, ShurShot hunting shells, and Field and Clays should all be lower priced Remington hulls for those seeking economy, and the same STS and Nitros for high-end, longer lasting, smooth wall and brass head hulls that are the cat's meow for side-by shucking.

good luck, GJ

Archived