SASS Wire Forum

Revolver finish on the cheap

sassnetguy50

Is the Birchwood Casey blue in a bottle a good way to coat a revolver for rust prevention?  Is there an alternative product you recommend?

Background:  through a series of unfortunate events I am trying to finish a 38 that an idiot took down to the white.  All of the blue is gone.  Most of the rust is gone save for the pits in the gripframe.  The goal is to bring the piece to "truck gun" quality.  Something more durable than Rustoleum with no regard to cosmetics.

I have had the best luck with Brownell's Oxpho-blue or Formula 44-40.  Neither is going to prevent rust and no cold blue is going to look good for a complete gun reblue.  For a truck gun you are better off with something like ceracoat.

Try it, you may like it.  If you aren’t satisfied with the look,  you can easily go back to white by using vinegar or Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust Remover. Wiping a thin coat if CLP on the gun after quick bluing helps prevent rust unless you are really abusive.

32 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

epoxy paint in John Deere green , that ortta make it stand out :P

CB 

I am given to understand that, in Lousiana, it's a yearly tradition to paint your waterfowl guns.
The paint is never stripped: as it wears, another coat is applied; the appearance of wear showing many layers, I'm told, evokes memories of past years and past hunts.
Chickasaw Bill's idea of a coat of paint might not be amiss at all!

(Besides, I'm fond of John Deere green!)

Light coat of rust. 0000 Steel wool till smooth leaving smooth rust on surface. Repeat 4-5 times. Oil well

Rust (browning) is a proper surface treatment.

If you want blued boil in water before you oil it.

I've used Birchwood Casey.  Multiple applications; quite satisfied with the results.  Not a museum piece by any means, but certainly acceptable.

Okay, for a truck gun, either Oxpho-blue or B-C will work with a couple of notes as they said above: One make sure it is clean and oil free. Heat it up and expect to use at least three coats before it looks decent.

Archived