SASS Wire Forum

The Desert Rats

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Just about eighty years ago right now in 1941 , in North Africa near a mostly useless little village called Tobruk, the Australian 9th Division spent a heroic 242 days ruining Rommel's plans to take the Suez canal.  His professional tankers, artillerymen, and foot soldiers were fought to a standstill by a smaller number, in every category except courage, of these Aussie soldiers who were stubbornly determined to stop and hold  the mighty Nazi Army where it stood.

They did exactly that.....at great cost.....but they by God did it.

They earned the title The Desert Rats long before a TV series of that name was conceived. 

I offer  a toast to these brothers in arms (and a lot of Aussies that I met in Vietnam) for their outstanding service and I've asked bottles to put it my tab.

Cheers!

39 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Just about eighty years ago right now in 1941 , in North Africa near a mostly useless little village called Tobruk, the Australian 9th Division spent a heroic 242 days ruining Rommel's plans to take the Suez canal.  His professional tankers, artillerymen, and foot soldiers were fought to a standstill by a smaller number, in every category except courage, of these Aussie soldiers who were stubbornly determined to stop and hold  the mighty Nazi Army where it stood.

They did exactly that.....at great cost.....but they by God did it.

They earned the title The Desert Rats long before a TV series of that name was conceived. 

I offer  a toast to these brothers in arms (and a lot of Aussies that I met in Vietnam) for their outstanding service and I've asked bottles to put it my tab.

Cheers!

My Uncle was a Rat of Tobruk.

https://www.awm.gov.au/visit/exhibitions/tobruk

My Uncle (Dad's brother) that was a Rat of Tobruk after coming back from the Middle East fighting the Germans ended up being sent to New Guinea to fight the Japs.

My Dad was an Australian Army Commando (Independant Company) in New Guinea and had his 21st birthday fighting the Japs in the Salamaua & Lae campaign not long after he'd fought in Wau.

He carried a Thompson .45 and after some time they were re-issued with Owen's in 9mm and they hated them as they didn't have the stopping power that the Thompsons did for the banzai charges, they stayed down with the .45's and were less liable to be wounded and start sniping or throwing grenades.

The US troops had a fascination for the Owens and would eagerly swap them for their Thompsons and the Aussie Commando's were happy to oblige.

https://www.commando.org.au/Commando History/WWII Commando History/

1 hour ago, Okiepan said:

Your title reminded me of The Rat Patrol from the 60's

I LOVED that show being a button in the sixties. A toast to all who served. My dad was in the South Pacific. He never talked much about his combat experience. He was a cook, but he did have a CIB so I would assume he “saw the elephant “ somewhere along the way. I’ve done a bit of research and it sounds like his outfit was involved in some pretty hairy battles in a couple of those islands.

JHC

H&I Network, Heroes And Icons might be on cable but it's also on OTV LOL, which is what I have. Dumped cable years ago for on air TV and ain't lookin' back.

Rat Patrol is on Saturday evenings. Their schedule is on their webpage. Always something good to watch.

Archived