SASS Wire Forum

Patton at a Shooting Match

25 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Looks like they’re shooting .22s and in single action. 

Indoors with no ear plugs I think you are right.  Almost look like Colt target revolvers.

7 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Indoors with no ear plugs I think you are right.  Almost look like Colt target revolvers.

Yes, they do. At first I thought they were S&Ws. It appeared one gent had a semiauto but the film is too dark to really tell. 

I tried to research the film.  It looks like it was made in November, 1945 while Patton was visiting Stockholm.  One month before Patton died.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

narration does not seem to be Swedish.

Don't know if it is Swedish, since I do not speak that language.

But the rhythm of the speech definitely sounds scandahoovian to me. Svensk, Norsk, something.

Where is Strawberry Lars when you need him?

13 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Perhaps a replay of the 1912 Olympics shooting competition? He only scored 9 10s because his shot group was so tight they only identified nine hits. I think it was pentathlon.

You remember correctly, Marshal.

His formal protest of the scoring was the reason they now use a moving paper roll behind each target: it unrolls above, rolls up below, and shows whether or not the grouping was as tight as Patton's.

Patton probably would have won the Gold Medal for the 1912 Olympic Pentathlon if they had counted the 10th hit.  Patton shot the US Service Revolver in .38 Long Colt while the rest of the competitors apparently used .22 LR

IIRC Patton had set an unofficial world record the day before during practice. 

As a tanker, he likely no longer needed ear protection.

He was probably deaf to the sound of those shots anyway.

50 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

As a tanker, he likely no longer needed ear protection.

He was probably deaf to the sound of those shots anyway.

I doubt Patton spent a lot of time actually in a tank and even less time in a tank during combat.

He was a Lt. Colonel when WWI started and spent most of his time leading the tanks into combat either on foot or standing on the back of the little 2 man tanks the US started with.  In between WWI & WWII he went back to the cavalry until just before WWII when he was a brigade and division commander, too senior to spend time in a tank.

Archived