SASS Wire Forum

Too bad Western 3 Gun died.

Currahee

On 9/23/2021 at 4:30 PM, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

It worked great shooting black powder because you weren't standing in one spot shooting 10 rounds creating one big cloud of smoke.

Probably also fun for the rest of the posse to see all the smaller clouds. :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/1/2021 at 12:11 AM, Derringer Dan said:

Me too. I worked for M.Dalton up in Holser canyon since the 90’s. Only once did I stray over to the CAS range and was AMAZED at what was going on. I was tied up financially to add another genre so stayed with the equipment I had. Fast forward to present and have now sold stuff to buy what I needed for SASS. Would have loved to try W3G.

still got my three gun gear but times have changed so some of it is most likely out of date or supplanted by improved versions , i suspect ill never do more than just shoot them again but i hate parting with things , W3G would have been fun back when i was younger , now im slow at everything and SASS presents its challenges 

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

still got my three gun gear but times have changed so some of it is most likely out of date or supplanted by improved versions , i suspect ill never do more than just shoot them again but i hate parting with things , W3G would have been fun back when i was younger , now im slow at everything and SASS presents its challenges 

I was blessed to have some stuff that I could get rid of to finance the six shooters and associated gear. I still have enough 3 gun stuff to shoot a match, but like you said, prolly outdated.  I only started SASS months ago and it’s still new to me but am enjoying getting back into competition. I basically went from one genre to another after my accident and subsequent recovery.
Sorry to hear that mobility has become an issue, I hope that there are clubs close that could offer up some accommodation. Keep up the fight and I will keep you in prayer 

On 9/23/2021 at 4:49 PM, Chantry said:

In the Northeast unfortunately we lose far more shooters every year than we get in new members.    Look at state match & regional results, the vast majority of shooters are forty niner and older.  I would say the majority of shooters don't want a lot more movement.

As for the younger crowd it costs about $4k and up for a new shooter who doesn't have any guns & other eqiupment suitable for SASS. that's a lot of money. 

Most younger shooters did not grow up watching Westerns, they grew up watching action movies with Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Willis & Gibson and those are the guns they want to shoot if they shoot competitively, not guns from their father's or grandfather's westerns.  These two factors alone is why SASS seems to be shrinking, at least here in the Northeast.

I still think we can capture these younger folks after they become disappointed, or disillusioned in the modern shooting competitions.

Let the three-gun shooters discover the comeraderie of CAS as opposed to the often cutthroat nature of 3-gun, it will draw them in.

58 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Let the three-gun shooters discover the comeraderie of CAS as opposed to the often cutthroat nature of 3-gun, it will draw them in.

Lots of SASS folk have shot W3G.

There's NO cutthroat nonsense after all.

Did you ever try W3G? 

OLG 

34 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Lots of SASS folk have shot W3G.

There's NO cutthroat nonsense after all.

Did you ever try W3G? 

OLG 

Nope, I would look forward to it!

Archived