SASS Wire Forum

Can somebody tell me the difference............

General Ledger

The difference between the MEC Sizemaster for 12 gauge and the MEC 600 Jr. Mark V for 12 gauge for loading for our sport? Is the Sizemaster worth the additional money?

Thanks

General Ledger

The Sizemaster has a collet sizing die to size the brass and a taper crimp die in the last stage to taper the top of the cartridge.  The 600 does not have these dies.  These two dies help make shotgun shells go in and out better.

Sizemaster has the collet style sizing, 600 Jr has a ring sizer.   If you have a double barrel, sooner or later you will appreciate how much tighter the collet can size the "brass" on the head of shells.

Sizemaster has primer feeder built in, 600 Jr you stick on one primer at a time unless you add the extra primer feeder.

Both are solid machines and will run shells fast enough to satisfy most cowboy shooting needs.  Neither will keep up with a shotgun target shooter going through a flat or more a week.

good luck, GJ

Two big differences.  The sizemaster has an automatic primer feed and a collet sizer for the case head.  Worth the difference?  Depends on how frugal (cheap) you are.  For me it was a yes.

Definitely worth the extra, It does a much better job resizing the brass than the ring on the other presses.

1 hour ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

Definitely worth the extra, It does a much better job resizing the brass than the ring on the other presses.

This^^^^

The alternative is to buy a MEC SuperSizer to go with the 600 jr.

If you only shoot a 97 you can get by with just the 600 jr. Shoot a SXS or an 87 and you'll grow to appreciate a collet sizer.

On 9/22/2021 at 4:08 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

This^^^^

The alternative is to buy a MEC SuperSizer to go with the 600 jr.

If you only shoot a 97 you can get by with just the 600 jr. Shoot a SXS or an 87 and you'll grow to appreciate a collet sizer.

I've never had a problem using my SxS with shells loaded (some many times) on my 600jr.  I guess I must be lucky:D

On 9/22/2021 at 4:22 PM, Nickel City Dude said:

The Sizemaster has …a taper crimp die in the last stage to taper the top of the cartridge.  The 600 does not have these dies.  These two dies help make shotgun shells go in and out better.

I don’t believe that is correct.  My Sizemaster has a pre-crimp and a final crimp.  Same as the 600/Jr., I believe.

I have an older model MEC Grabber that ends with a final taper crimp station.

25 minutes ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

I don’t believe that is correct.  My Sizemaster has a pre-crimp and a final crimp.  Same as the 600/Jr., I believe.

I have an older model MEC Grabber that ends with a final taper crimp station.

You are correct.  I haven't used my Sizemaster in a long time as I usually load on a 9000.  I took a close look at the Sizemaster and sure enough there is no taper die on it.  Sorry for the error.

Archived