SASS Wire Forum

WTB - 45 Cowboy Special Brass

Squ1d Vicious

18 minutes ago, Twelve Bore said:

Starline brass has it in stock

I have had mine on order for months I see it is now listed on back order (Was no back order) on Starline site with a ship date to be determined hopefully they started making it and we should see some ship soon. 

I'm viewing it as Backorder, right now, and they are taking orders. I have ordered some stuff listed this way and received it the next week from Starline, although the 7mm-08 I ordered 5 or 6 weeks ago is still listed as "processing," so the "backorder" status can vary greatly.

It’s not that hard to make it yourself from .45 Colt brass or .45 Scofield. Harbor freight sells a little cut off saw that works very well and RCBS brass prep station is all you need. .45 Colt brass shows up for sale on the classifieds all of the time so it may be an option for you.

11 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

It’s not that hard to make it yourself from .45 Colt brass or .45 Scofield. Harbor freight sells a little cut off saw that works very well and RCBS brass prep station is all you need. .45 Colt brass shows up for sale on the classifieds all of the time so it may be an option for you.

It's easy to do .

I make my 44 special and 44 Russian out of split 44 Magnum case's on a Lyman case trimmer.

• 2 weeks later...

Concur with Woodfox and others.

I held on to 45  Colt brass … alright, I usually refer to it as Long Colt … with minor splits until I had a decent size batch of it. Then, on to visit a shooting buddy with a lathe. Faster than you can say “Judge Roy Bean” we had it trimmed to 45 Special length.

The trimmed brass prob doesn’t last as long as new stuff from Starline but has given me good service.

I use the short brass for light loads for use in two percussion revolvers with Howell conversion cylinders. Howell advises using loads not to exceed Cowboy” strength. I take it a notch lower with light loads that still have plenty of punch to take down the poppers.  The short brass surely seems to give better ignition with light loads than the full-length brass.

Adios 

Fort Reno Kid 

Side note. If you shoot 44 mag/44 Special, those cases with small splits can be trimmed to 44 Russian or even 44 mag to 44 Special. In these days of ammo and component shortages, these are steps worth considering. 

I had a backorder in for about 6 months... cancelled when a guy on here sold me some..turned out half what he sold me was 44 Russian.  Honest mistake since they look almost identical until you put in the reloader.  He was a stand up guy and made it right...  Hence me still being short of Cowboy "Short."

Archived