SASS Wire Forum

.38 to .357 reloading question

Quiet Burp

Is it ok to ask a reloading question? Please delete if inappropriate. 

I bought a Rossi lever action in ..357 it feeds .357's a lot better than .38s

I use ADI AP50n 3.4gr for my .38 reloads and like it.

Is it ok to put 3.4gr in a .357 case? Will more engine room in the case cause a problem? Will I need to up the powder charge for .357 0r am I Ok with the same .38 load?

ADI (Australian Defense Industries) makes a lot of powder for the USA and is marketed under brands like Hodgen and I'm pretty sure that Hodgen International is the same as ADI AP50n

For my old Henry (no it’s not my main match, it’s the backup’s backup) it likes only 357 cases, and my Rossi is happy with the 357’s too.   I just load them with the same load and primer.   
some might suggest a magnum primer, but I haven’t had issues….  
BTW I loaded with accurate 5 on them and Titegroup.   

In a word, yes. The gunsmith that built my rifle told me that for the best, most reliable functioning, the headstamp on the brass should match what's stamped on the barrel.

However, using .357 brass may not be magic. Most '92's are very length sensitive, and you may still have to tweak the overall cartridge length some. But starting with .357 brass puts you in the right spot.

I load 3.0 gr of Shootersworld  Cleanshot in both 38 and 357 cases for our rifles. One prefers 357 length for feeding and the other wont hold ten 357 length cartridges. Same bullet, same charge, same primer. I wouldnt do this for loads close to max but it works for cowboy just fine.

Imis

I had one of those Rossis like that. Try loading a 140+ grain bullet in the 38 Special cases, mine would run great with most 158 grainers, but HATED anything under 140 grains.

QB, what is max for your 38 spl load?  Do you have access to magnum primers?

ADI in Canada describes AP50N as medium density / medium-fast burn rate.

Generally speaking, you should be okay with the .38 special load in .357 Mag brass unless the original .38 load is very light to start with.  The extra volume in the .357 case does have an effect and a really light load may not completely burn, get really sooty, or even stick a bullet in the longer barrel.  All in all, it would be good to check the .357 load data for your choice of powder and if you have to bump the charge up a bit to meet the minimum listed load, then I would recommend doing so. 

APN50, HP-38 and W231 are all on the ADI chart.

Having manufactured new and reloaded ammunition for cas shooters for 18 years, I have used both HP 38 and W231.

My load for 38 special and 357 magnum was the same powder charge.

The length for 38 special was 1.54" and for the 357 magnum was 1.58".

(using 125gr TC bullet)

I also shoot Rossi 357 marked carbines.

I have 8 of them and they all feed the 1.58" magnum ammunition without any problems.

Any longer and problems could come up.

Link to chart.

http://www.adiworldclass.com.au/powder-equivalents/

4 hours ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

You may try this with the 38’s.. 125 gr RNFP

C083467F-262E-4DDC-AA9A-5E997210A457.jpeg

This is a great solution to your problem. Loading .38's the .357 OAL is what most Rossi shooters do. What is the OAL of your .38's. I load 147 TC bullets to 1.52 inches. Works just fine in mine.

9 hours ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

You may try this with the 38’s.. 125 gr RNFP

C083467F-262E-4DDC-AA9A-5E997210A457.jpeg

That's a good idea, my projectiles (coated) have two lube bands.

Is that definitely ok to have them sticking out that much?

It will solve all my problems. And save me a lot of $ as Starline .357 brass is around 50c each.

Archived