SASS Wire Forum

Tire Kicking: Ambidextrous 45ACP Pistols for Gunfighter-Like Use

bgavin

15 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

My preference is for a 1911.  Ambi Safety.  Most none have an Ambi Slide Release nor an Ambi mag release.  Reloads can be problematic. 

As a left handed shooter, I will say the following, the "right handed" slide and magazine release are more easily operated with the index finger of the left hand than with the thumb of the right when shooting said pistol one handed.

Trying to shoot 2 1911's gunfighter style does require a "Condition One" carry, as you can't rack the slide of one when there is already a pistol in the other.  

I honestly don't see the need for two autoloading pistols.  You can get off a second shot fairly quickly, and as mentioned above, reloads are problematic, to say the least.   (That being said, shooting a pair of 1911's "Double Duelist" can be a lot of fun.)   

What is surprisingly difficult is getting an ambi safety for the 1911 that looks like original equipment.  Most of them are extended or widened or otherwise somehow don't look like the original safety at all.  I did eventually find one, but it was a chore and a half.

if you wanted a gun and a backup gun, consider having a pair of charter arms pitbull double action revolvers.  they take 45 ACP without moon clips.  allow you to draw and operate with either hand, the loaded combination is 51 oz, on par with a full size steel 1911 and with the pair you have 10 rounds of 45 ACP.  I carry the Charter Arms Professional V, 6 shot .357 on the same frame size with a Barami Hip Grip and it conceals excellently, is very light.  You'll have to like recoil however.  definitely more geared to carry than range use, but able to get the job done.  at <$500 each it would come in around the cost of a nice 1911 for the pair and you always have a backup.

image.thumb.png.21e068155c5daadc347d257fa06ba7b6.png

a few advantages of carrying this system, ie, a left hand and right hand gun.  If you are defending with one hand you can draw and fire with the other, if you are with someone and things get dicey, you can provide them with a gun.  Revolvers are better in contact fights because they don't get forced out of battery.  Revolvers are usually CA friendly, if you're just hiking outdoors, these make good light weight pack guns and can carry birdshot for snakes.  if one is stolen or taken as evidence or made inaccessible in a fight, you may still have the other gun and you don't have to learn a new gun while things get sorted out.  having two guns even if you don't use them gunfighter style are still faster than a reload.  

26 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

if you wanted a gun and a backup gun, consider having a pair of charter arms pitbull double action revolvers.  they take 45 ACP without moon clips.  allow you to draw and operate with either hand, the loaded combination is 51 oz, on par with a full size steel 1911 and with the pair you have 10 rounds of 45 ACP.  I carry the Charter Arms Professional V, 6 shot .357 on the same frame size with a Barami Hip Grip and it conceals excellently, is very light.  You'll have to like recoil however.  definitely more geared to carry than range use, but able to get the job done.  at <$500 each it would come in around the cost of a nice 1911 for the pair and you always have a backup.

a few advantages of carrying this system, ie, a left hand and right hand gun.  If you are defending with one hand you can draw and fire with the other, if you are with someone and things get dicey, you can provide them with a gun.  Revolvers are better in contact fights because they don't get forced out of battery.  Revolvers are usually CA friendly, if you're just hiking outdoors, these make good light weight pack guns and can carry birdshot for snakes.  if one is stolen or taken as evidence or made inaccessible in a fight, you may still have the other gun and you don't have to learn a new gun while things get sorted out.  having two guns even if you don't use them gunfighter style are still faster than a reload.  

I recently got one of these. K frame size, 5 shot. It DOES recoil, but not as bad as a LCP for instance. I'm probably going to put a pachmayr grip on it. 

My EDC is a 1911, but I figure that this will work for a CCW. I can carry a loaded magazine for reload ammo.

image.jpeg.a26499979159b03929e59d2075543962.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I recently got one of these. K frame size, 5 shot. It DOES recoil, but not as bad as a LCP for instance. I'm probably going to put a pachmayr grip on it. 

My EDC is a 1911, but I figure that this will work for a CCW. I can carry a loaded magazine for reload ammo.

you should try the barami if you have to remove it periodically to enter federal buildings etc, no holster to mess around with and it actually tucks pretty nicely too.

3 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Is that a .45 ACP? What is the model number?

Oops. I thought that was a Smith & Wesson. Sorry. I got all excited that S&W had something new out.

22 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

you should try the barami if you have to remove it periodically to enter federal buildings etc, no holster to mess around with and it actually tucks pretty nicely too.

I have a Barami on a 22. Little bitty skinny grip. Very little to hang on to. Works good with this 22. I stick it in my pocket when I go out the door, and it catches on the top of my pocket.

https://www.desantisholster.com/clip-grip/

DeSantis makes a version also. It is hand filling, unlike the Barami. I have it on a titanium 32 H&R. A little more recoil, and a little better grip.

But the DeSantis, and as far as I know, the Barami, are only made for J frames.

I do not believe it would fit on that K frame grip of that Taurus 45.

And just a comment, apropos of nothing - the paint Smith and Wesson uses on their aluminum frames does not play well with body sweat.

966833413_IMG_20210922_1147053922.thumb.jpg.3ca32dc8b4fdedcf0d3eaa5e01cdaf81.jpg

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Is that a .45 ACP? What is the model number?

4 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

52 minutes ago, Alpo said:

But the DeSantis, and as far as I know, the Barami, are only made for J frames.

I do not believe it would fit on that K frame grip of that Taurus 45.

Barami has a model for the Charter Arms guns.  All CA's use the same grip assembly so the one model fits all.  It's a small grip on a .357 magnum, but I like that feature for concealment and I can pretty well hold onto it when I'm shooting, doesn't rock too bad.

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you for that. I really didn’t know CA had a .45 ACP revolver. That’s interesting. 

yeah, also interesting is that the CA revolvers are made to chamber rimless cartridges without moon clips, they're made in the USA, have a 100% lifetime guarantee and are affordable.  my CA Pro V is the only 6 shot .357 weighing 25 oz currently in production for less than $800 (only production guns I know of with all three requirements (chambering, weight and capacity) are the 2" Rhino and K6s and Colt King Cobra carry version I don't think Ruger or S&W even have anything comparable), I paid $375 new in 2020.  it also has high viz sights which is a bonus.  you can get them in black nitride or stainless in 3 or 4 inch configs. 

With regard to being able to load .45 ACP without the aide of moonclips, isn't that what .45 Autorim is for?

On the other hand, full moon clips make for handy speedloaders.

Seems to me that figuring out how to load .45 ACP moonlessly is a solution in search of a problem.  :)

Still, it's kinda cool that they figured out how to do it.

Two 45acp pistols?  Get two Glocks.  Gen 5 Model 21's (ambi slide stop, reversible mag catch) would do the job nicely and probably cost less, for both, than a decent 1911.  Also, they work.

Thanks for the reply.
I have a HUGE and non-negotiable bias against plastic guns in general, and Glocks in particular.

Years ago, I had all three of my daughters at the range... a true delight.
In the lane next to us, a guy sidles up with an ultra fancy clamshell case, and makes sure we are all watching.
He brings out a Glock, and make sure we were all watching it.

He assumes the stance.. looks around at all of us... grins, and pulls the trigger.
< click >
He does some rapid shuffling...
< click >
He does some magazine swaps...
< click >

< click >

< click >

Me: (holding my GP100) "I figure you're glad you weren't betting your life on that thing."
Guy folds up his fancy case, slinks away.

7 hours ago, bgavin said:

Thanks for the reply.
I have a HUGE and non-negotiable bias against plastic guns in general, and Glocks in particular.

Of course you realize that you are going to get a LOT of guys telling you that glocks are the greatest gun ever invented, right?:rolleyes: But I happen to agree with you.:D

I could find an equal number of guys telling me Chevys beat Ford, or Canons beat Nikons.
Opinions are like.... belly buttons... everybody has one.
Arguing with a fanboy is an exercise in futility.

And no, I don't like S&W either, but I admire how handsome they are... just like a Chevy truck is more handsome than a Ford.
Hell will become exothermic before I ever own another Chevy... but they still are handsome.

On 9/22/2021 at 4:55 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Sonofa….That Charter Arms .45 ACP is not on the Communi…I mean, California roster. 

287 days…

I'm sure CA has something large frame on the roster, swap the cylinder and barrel :rolleyes:

I was going to suggest a S&W Shield in .45 acp until I saw you didn't like plastic guns or S&W. Your choice of 6 or 7 +1 and with or without a manual safety. I find it is softer shooting than a 1911. Soooooooo.......... nevermind. B)

10 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

I'm sure CA has something large frame on the roster, swap the cylinder and barrel :rolleyes:

Apparently I was mistaken, the 45 acp version is on the Bulldog XL (45 colt) frame and It doesn't look like charter arms has anything in that frame size on the cali approved roster.  probably best if you move sooner than later...

2 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

Apparently I was mistaken, the 45 acp version is on the Bulldog XL (45 colt) frame and It doesn't look like charter arms has anything in that frame size on the cali approved roster.  probably best if you move sooner than later...

:lol: I'm working on it. ;)

Archived