SASS Wire Forum

Taylors Uberti .44 spl Schofield?

WOLFY

Saw this on gunbroker, the seller is no help.  Schofield would have a different latch, am I right?

According to the sales guy at Taylors, they’re calling all break top S&W replicas Schofields.

09DE459A-008C-4E04-B6B9-C823D47B9EFE.jpeg

• WOLFY changed the title to uberti .44 spl Schofield?

Thank you, Mr Pettifogger.   That’s what I’m thinking.  They’re calling it the wrong name (instead of using “frontier”.

When I heard Cimarron would be selling a No 3 American, I wondered if we’d see calibers other than .45 colt and .44-40 from Taylors or Uberti.

Thanks Warden- it is, but having adjustable rear sights are a

drawback for me.

Someone over at Cimarron said they’d have the American in .44 spl eventually.  

3F3AC0F8-EADE-41DB-BDED-709A7EE1DABC.jpeg

I found my Cimarron American at Midway and had them ship to a dealer in NH.  It was in .45 Colt.   Originally, the banner add on their website listed .44 Russian, .44 Special, .44-40 and .45 Colt.   I really wanted it in .44 Special, but all they had at Midway was the .45.  So, that's what I got.   Until the above video of the .44-40 was posted, I had not seen them advertised anywhere in any caliber other than the .45.

As it is, that winds up being the same caliber as my Uberti Schofield, so I will likely pair those pistols.  I wanted the .44 Special for several reasons, one of which is pairing it with my Colt Buntline and being all "Wyatt Earp-ish" on occasion.   I can still do that of course, the pistols will just be in different calibers. :)

The Cimarron American is a very well made gun.   I don't have an original to compare it to, but there was nothing obvious on it that screamed "inauthentic" to me.   It also has some nice touches including reproduction inspectors markings and and US on the frame.  (Which I wanted anyway)

All in all, if you find the old S&W top breaks interesting, this would make a nice addition to your collection for use as a shooter, or a way to round out a "US military sidearm" collection if you don't mind a reproduction because genuine GI is too hard to find. 

I own three russians and none of them fit 44 spl.  The other break top in my collection is a Perf Center Schofield 45 s&w (which I’ll sell off since I don’t shoot .45 other than acp).

Still looking for getting 44 spl Americans (if they come out).

• WOLFY changed the title to Taylors Uberti .44 spl Schofield?
14 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Is this the gun you're looking for?

https://www.wikiarms.com/guns?q=810012511810

Geezz , I just grit my teeth and shake my head when I see top-breaks other than Schofields labeled as "Schofields". The stupid is strong everywhere.

Rex :ph34r:

Right?  It’s like when people in my home country call all 2 wheeled small motos “vespas”.

Instead of hijacking someone else’s thread is the only way to fix my rear sight - swapping out for the original uberti russian latch?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mr Rugers.

I’m thinking of removing the screw hole on my rear sight. 

Wouldn that change it from being adjustable?

FEE9DD43-BB6A-4DD0-A96C-733C1CCC8C77.jpeg

Archived