SASS Wire Forum

What's this pin for?

Buckshot Bear

Unless you KNOW what you are doing don't even try to remove that pin and the recoil shield.  The shield is pressed into place and then Ruger crossdrills the frame for the pin to anchor the shield.

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Unless you KNOW what you are doing don't even try to remove that pin and the recoil shield.  The shield is pressed into place and then Ruger crossdrills the frame for the pin to anchor the shield.

As I mentioned I have no intention of removing it, I just spotted it when I was cleaning it and couldn't find where it went and was wondering how the thing would come out of it ever needed to.

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

Sometimes it is removed to lighten the firing pin screw. Best Idea is follow Larsens advice.

kR

Lighten the firing pin spring

This pin secures and holds in the firing pin and the spring.  When installing a Shotgun Boogie short stroke kit, this is one of the final steps since a lighter spring is needed for the SS hammer fall.  You drive it out from bottom to top, replace the spring and lightly tap it back into place, after noting the orientation of the pin as it goes back into place, due to the slope of the pin's top.  Probably the hardest step to installing a SGB SS kit yourself. 

Dusty Sometimes 

Archived