SASS Wire Forum

Switch up leather mid-match?

Wyo Joe

Looked in handbook and didn’t see rules relating to this, but is it ok to switch up your leather mid-match? Like if double strong is best for some stages but crossdraw is better on others, any reason you couldn’t switch up your holsters? (Assuming you’re not shooting in a costume category that would be incorrect when you change to diff holsters). 

I’m fairly ambidextrous and just wondering if this is an option that ever gets used by folks and if it’s legal to do so 

It seems to me that it would be awfully easy to get a P, maybe a fumble or 170 violation even.

Pick one and stick with it.  Making changes like this increases the fumble factor dramatically.  We still need to talk about transitions.  We'll cover how to handle it.  Keep in mind there will always be that ":one" that's awkward.  It's ok.  There are ways to deal with it.

I have various holster rigs that I'll sometimes change from one match to another, but haven't done so in the middle of the match.  Recent years I'm shooting crossdraw more often, so when I use the double strong side I sometimes find myself on the first stage handing off the first pistol to the left hand to go into a crossdraw holster that isn't there.  No biggie but slows me down a tad to adjust.  Similar when shooting the hammerless shotgun, then I bring out the hammered gun and forget to cock for the second pair of shots.

If ya really want a challenge wear a shotgun shell bandoleer for 3 stages and then a shotgun shell slide or belt down around the waist for 3 stages. I did that once when my bandoleer broke during a match. 

12 hours ago, Wyo Joe said:

Looked in handbook and didn’t see rules relating to this, but is it ok to switch up your leather mid-match? Like if double strong is best for some stages but crossdraw is better on others, any reason you couldn’t switch up your holsters? (Assuming you’re not shooting in a costume category that would be incorrect when you change to diff holsters). 

I’m fairly ambidextrous and just wondering if this is an option that ever gets used by folks and if it’s legal to do so 

I believe the point is being missed.  The question was,  is it legal?  Not what is your opinion.

1 hour ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I believe the point is being missed.  The question was,  is it legal?  Not what is your opinion.

Yes, it is legal, same as shooting different guns every stage.

Randy

2 hours ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

Sorry. I had implied it was legal, when I said I thought about doing it for a minute. I should've been more clear.

I would be worried I would forget which rig I was wearing mid stage!

There are a couple options for this line of thinking: Colt Faro makes a holster that will hold a gun put in either direction. This would allow you to setup for the stage with cross draw or double strong side without changing holsters or locations. I started using a technique Dillard shows in his videos, in scenarios where the right gun coming out first makes more sense, Ill put my right gun away in my left holster after I have drawn my left gun. It takes some getting used to, but works really slick!

18 hours ago, P.R. Undertaker said:

I would be worried I would forget which rig I was wearing mid stage!

There are a couple options for this line of thinking: Colt Faro makes a holster that will hold a gun put in either direction. This would allow you to setup for the stage with cross draw or double strong side without changing holsters or locations. I started using a technique Dillard shows in his videos, in scenarios where the right gun coming out first makes more sense, Ill put my right gun away in my left holster after I have drawn my left gun. It takes some getting used to, but works really slick!

I use the rig from Colt Faro that P.R is talking about also. While I always use it cross draw it is nice to have when my old left hand twists the gun wrong as I stab it back in the left holster. Since it will go in either direction it doesn't matter and will still safely re-holster.   

Archived