SASS Wire Forum

It's hitting everywhere

I eat out most of the time and have a rotation of restaurants I frequent.  EVERY ONE of them has help wanted signs.  Several are closed one or more days a week because they have no personnel.  Went to Cabelas today and they had this sign.  I asked about it and the customer service desk said they had no one to man the Gun Library and that they are looking for help. There are millions of unfilled jobs.  That's what you get when you pay people to stay home.

IMG_1961.jpeg

Son is working 10-12 hour shifts with two Sundays off a month.  He got them Labor Day weekend this month do no more in September.  Said they need 15 people on his job but have 5.  They hired a couple more but they came to work under influence of meth. 

Come on man, our leadership has told us there is no correlation between being paid more to sit at home while not paying rent with not being able to fill jobs :) 

You have obviously fallen for “misinformation”, which means anything the current administration doesn’t agree with regardless of factual accuracy.

That's one job work working in the Gun Library I wouldn't mind having in retirement. 

IMG_1961.thumb.jpeg.51cf952d3433adefb44f6bd45ed343ba.jpeg.jpg.d36188fa67bca39b8af73bdeada5b91f.jpg

2021_09_20_07_14_15.jpg.aa292d8baad3ef7823d3f7c5fa5d2828.jpg

Trend in our town,  older folks go to nursing home. House stands empty. Goes on market a couple of years.  Falls to bank or something.  It and a couple others get knocked down and public housing takes its places. Anyone that can afford home and property move into the country. 

6 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Trend in our town,  older folks go to nursing home. House stands empty. Goes on market a couple of years.  Falls to bank or something.  It and a couple others get knocked down and public housing takes its places. Anyone that can afford home and property move into the country. 

Out here if the house is empty squatters move in and it’s almost impossible to get them out. 

The houses around here sell within a couple days, and usually for more than the asking price. The first looker bought mine, same with my son's house. My replace house has increased 25% in 3 yrs.

I know exactly how they feel.  Since they started sending me a retirement check a few years ago, I have absolutely no interest in working for a living.  I've thought about taking on a part time job, just for entertainment, but I haven't found anything locally that interests me yet.   

5 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Out here if the house is empty squatters move in and it’s almost impossible to get them out. 

Kerosene and gunfire will work...and what have you got to lose?  They've already taken everything you own.

4 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Just out of interest what's the gun library?

It is the room where Cabela's displays their unusually expensive used firearms for sale. 

The local Cabela's has had the same overpriced guns sitting there for sale since Bass Pro ruined Cabela's. 

Before the great Pandemic I use to go to Cabelas every other day just to visit the Gun Libary.  Sometimes the Gun Library had some phenomical bargains.  I have seen many guns that were outrageously over priced.  You just need to know a deal when you see it.  Also after an item has been on the shelf a certain number of days they will take offers.  (At least the one near my house.)

On 9/20/2021 at 4:20 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I eat out most of the time and have a rotation of restaurants I frequent.  EVERY ONE of them has help wanted signs.  Several are closed one or more days a week because they have no personnel.  Went to Cabelas today and they had this sign.  I asked about it and the customer service desk said they had no one to man the Gun Library and that they are looking for help. There are millions of unfilled jobs.  That's what you get when you pay people to stay home.

IMG_1961.jpeg

The exact same thing is happening up here north of the Medicine Line.  They are finding that some of the ones collecting free Covid money are willing to work, only if they are paid in cash so that they can still collect the free government money.  Businesses have to turn them down or end up facing the tax revenue people.

On 9/20/2021 at 7:09 PM, JD Lud said:

Come on man, our leadership has told us there is no correlation between being paid more to sit at home while not paying rent with not being able to fill jobs :) 

You have obviously fallen for “misinformation”, which means anything the current administration doesn’t agree with regardless of factual accuracy.

American asked his Russian friend what the news in Russia was like.  Friend said he didn’t know because Russians didn’t watch the news because they knew it was all propaganda.

Was over at Sportsman's yesterday.  Right inside the front door they had a recruiting table set up.  They were pretty much asking everyone that walked in if they were interested in a job.  They looked at me for several seconds before asking.  Wonder why?

P.S. do you notice the recruiters are about 12 years old?

IMG_1970.jpeg

On 9/21/2021 at 7:24 AM, Dantankerous said:

It is the room where Cabela's displays their unusually expensive used firearms for sale. 

The local Cabela's has had the same overpriced guns sitting there for sale since Bass Pro ruined Cabela's. 

The Cabela's here is the same and there's no haggling on the price! That's why they sit there forever!:rolleyes:

On 9/20/2021 at 3:42 PM, Trigger Mike said:

It's also what you get when you mandate you must get a vaccine to hold a job.

A little known FACT  - George Washington required his soldiers to be vaccinated against small pox and did so BY FORCE.   Because he knew this would save his Army.  Vaccinations are a modern miracle.

24 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

A little known FACT  - George Washington required his soldiers to be vaccinated against small pox and did so BY FORCE.   Because he knew this would save his Army.  Vaccinations are a modern miracle.

Yes and the army forced us to take vaccines for anthrax and nerve agent antidote pills et al in desert storm and 30 years later me and my buddies have a ton of health problems that started during the war and never left.  

1 minute ago, Trigger Mike said:

Yes and the army forced us to take vaccines for anthrax and nerve agent antidote pills et al in desert storm and 30 years later me and my buddies have a ton of health problems that started during the war and never left.  

So there is simply NO Medical evidence that vaccines for anthrax have caused significant problems.  about 1% of individuals have a severe reaction but almost no deaths.  And the potential threat was real.  As to the nerve agent antidote pills, if you had been gassed you would not be complaining as nerve agents are extremely deadly.   Additionally those were self administered.  The "chronic multi-system illness that some gulf war vets have complained about is not related to vaccines.

Thats also what you get when you don't pay a decent wage only give enough hours to fall short of having to give benefits and insurance. Businesses are there own worst nightmare. 

7 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

So there is simply NO Medical evidence that vaccines for anthrax have caused significant problems.  about 1% of individuals have a severe reaction but almost no deaths.  And the potential threat was real.  As to the nerve agent antidote pills, if you had been gassed you would not be complaining as nerve agents are extremely deadly.   Additionally those were self administered.  The "chronic multi-system illness that some gulf war vets have complained about is not related to vaccines.

Is there no medical evidence or is that just what the Government paid idiots say? I mean we all trust Fauci right and I'm sure the CDC and the WHOI is going to say exactly what Fauci and his handlers want you to beleive. 1% guess thats what Fauci and company are saying. Funny thing is my wife and I both have health problem's, but didn't get Covid until we got vaccinated. Heck of a coincidence IMO. But hey vaccine is so good now they say you have to get booster shots and they are coming out with a covid pill they want you to take daily. 

Enough is enough. All you really have to do is follow the money. Because it certainly isn't about covid deaths or hospitalizations. 

Not real sure. Do know in 2016 I got laid off took a job as a electrician in a poison plant 15/hr. By the time insurance came out and I had worked all the OT i could I was bringing $500/week home. I doubt min wage is $15/hr. Wonder is restaurants pay a actual hr wage or if they use workers tips as part of that wage? And isn't the wage they pay allot less than min wage ?

From the Department of Labor - The federal minimum wage for covered nonexempt employees is $7.25 per hour.

Right now with all the federal covid programs, child payments, etc., the sit at home wage is far, far above minimum wage.  That is why there are so many job vacancies.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

From the Department of Labor - The federal minimum wage for covered nonexempt employees is $7.25 per hour.

Right now with all the federal covid programs, child payments, etc., the sit at home wage is far, far above minimum wage.  That is why there are so many job vacancies.

In Australia the minimum wage is $20.33 per hour (Googled).

The Federal minimum wage isn't that relevant. Many states have a much higher minimum; 15 bucks here.

There are a lot of ways to look at things in this world. One is to sit on the porch and shake your cane and your wattles at the state of the world and the country.

The other is to look at opportunities, especially in unsettled times. There are a lot-- a lot-- of opportunities out there right now. I tell my grandkids, most of whom are young adults: go for the opportunities. They are abundant right now. Their lives go on. Looking backward won't help them much.

If the signs for workers are everywhere; go for it. All of us remember many times when jobs were hard to find. This is not one of those times. Demand is high. Pay is high.

What I do feel sorry for is in Sydney the average house price (and this is for a suburb wayyyyyy out and a small block) is around $1.5M

So many younger people now can only find part time jobs, making coffee, serving food and many work three of these jobs to get up to 40 hours of work a week to make ends meet. Banks won't touch you for a loan for a home working part time jobs.

Us baby boomers really made a lot of wealth out of property and have it all still pretty much locked up.

7 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

The govt panicked and shoved those things as well as others and we were forced to take them.  Had nerve agents been used the antidote pills would not have helped anyway, besides, we moved so fast we caught them in the middle of loading the chemical shells into self propelled guns and destroyed them so the pills were not needed.  

Thankfully once the platoon leader was too busy to do more than call on the radio to take the pills I threw mine into the desert.  Others were robots that do everything they are told and now have severe problems and can't hold jobs due to health issues.  Mine are minor compared to many as I only took the ones the platoon leader watched us take .  The government has no clue and panics everytime.   They issue blanket directives without taking account individual immunity.  Just look how they treat every hurricane.  They issue massive evacuation orders and often hit the wrong area and sometimes it wasn't necessary.   Each person should evaluate for themselves .  

8 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Last I knew most of the covid unemployment money was gone and no longer being given. Have I missed somethign maybe it is state specific here in Ms last I knew GONE. 

With a wage of $7.25 how do you afford gas to go back and forth to work? Not all of them live in the city allot live where they have to drive back and forth many miles. I used to commute over 70 miles a day to work. Again making less than 13/hr and again after insurance not bringing home hardly enough to pay for my gas. 

So how can you fault people for getting as much money as they can? DO you seek out the low paying jobs or do you seek the higher paying jobs? 

7 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

The Federal minimum wage isn't that relevant. Many states have a much higher minimum; 15 bucks here.

There are a lot of ways to look at things in this world. One is to sit on the porch and shake your cane and your wattles at the state of the world and the country.

The other is to look at opportunities, especially in unsettled times. There are a lot-- a lot-- of opportunities out there right now. I tell my grandkids, most of whom are young adults: go for the opportunities. They are abundant right now. Their lives go on. Looking backward won't help them much.

If the signs for workers are everywhere; go for it. All of us remember many times when jobs were hard to find. This is not one of those times. Demand is high. Pay is high.

I beg to differ. Allot of states follow the Federal mandated min wage. Sure some post there own which may be a dollar or more higher but not much. Opportunities, yeah for live at home kids maybe that aren't paying for a home , a car and utilities or food to eat. Much less trying to put a kid through school and school activities.

our absolutely right looking back does no good and the only one to look out for you is you yourself. But I certainly don't fault anyone for not taking a restaurant job. Especially when the food industry gets the break of not having to pay min wage. No they get to use the tips against their employee's wages. I'm sorry my tips aren't to ease the restaurants responsibilities of paying their employee's. Its time that whole setup is changed. 

Jurisdiction Basic Combined Cas... Maximum Tip Credit... Minimum Cash Wage 1
FEDERAL: Fair Labor... $7.25 $5.12 $2.13

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/minimum-wage/tipped

13 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

The smallpox vaccine was developed in 1798.

Agreed. There are so many unfilled jobs in this area also. If people don't have a job right not it's mostly because they don't want to work. Heck, even McDonalds is giving $1,000 signing bonuses. 

3 hours ago, Rube Burrows said:

Agreed. There are so many unfilled jobs in this area also. If people don't have a job right not it's mostly because they don't want to work. Heck, even McDonalds is giving $1,000 signing bonuses. 

Can you make ends meet on a part time or even full time McD's job? Especially if you had to commute back and forth with gas prices like they are. Sure people don't want to work at a job that they aren't making anything at the end of the week because they aren't making anything per hour. I would love to see all those griping about people not taking those low paying , no benefit jobs take the job and see how it is as worth it as they think. 

Archived